Please help! Horrible pain in chest!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by browneyes259, Oct 28, 2005.

1. browneyes259

browneyes259 New Member

Hey, all!

I'm struggling with a new symptom and had a ?. Last night I woke up and came bolt upright in bed. I had a severe pain in my chest and back near the bottom of my sternum.

It felt like someone had punched their fist into my back and out through my stomach. It also felt like I had something stuck in my throat. I almost woke my husband to take me to the ER, but it did die down a bit after about an hour.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Even today when I ate, drank or took my meds I felt like everything was getting stuck on the way down.

Any help would be appreciated!

Jen
  2. heavenlyanimals

heavenlyanimals New Member

dear jen

you are not alone on this. i have the same problem. i went to the er thinking i was having a heart attack and had the heart cath and i was clear ,but you should not think it may be this and it could be your heart. so make sure on that first. i was told it was esphogus muscle spasms. it is a terrible pain. my food feels like it gets stuck also.i will pray for you cuz i know the pain is awful. love and hugs .

collette
  3. Geechie

Geechie New Member

I went to the er and was told to come back any time it happened, not to worry about feeling silly, because you never know. I think they are treating women more seriously now with chest pains. Mine was a stomach problem.

The next time I used some Maalox and it went right away.
  4. dafoefan

dafoefan New Member

I am sorry you have gone through this. I too have also experienced this many times. I have felt I should go to the ER, but knew I had read that it was common and I have always had a healthy heart.

What I do (and believe me I am always scared to death), I either use ice in the summer or heat in the winter. I take a klonopin and a muscle relaxer, and try to just rest in my bed. It usually will pass in an hour.

I do get so nervous, it is about the only time I cry in fear. My husband gives me a big hug and tries to calm me, and this is when he is most attentive. So far it has passed each time. If it went too long, I would hit the ER.

Good luck, I hope you don't even have to find out again if this works!
  5. browneyes259

browneyes259 New Member

...for the quick replies & great suggestions/advice.

It is scary, I will get it checked out to rule out anything heart related. I appreciate all the prayers and well wishes. This board is a God send to me and I know many others.

I have still had the pain and "something stuck in the throat" feeling all day but the pain is much less, tolerable at least.

Anyway, thanks again.

Hugs,
    Jen