Please help Looking for a Good Dr in Tampa Fl area,

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by IrishRover, Nov 4, 2002.

1. IrishRover

IrishRover New Member

Can any one point me in the right direction to find a good Dr in the Spring Hill Fl area, I will travel to Tampa and onwards if necessary.
    Also is there any advice on what supplements to take??
    Thanks
    Irish Rover
  2. IrishRover

IrishRover New Member

Can any one point me in the right direction to find a good Dr in the Spring Hill Fl area, I will travel to Tampa and onwards if necessary.
    Also is there any advice on what supplements to take??
    Thanks
    Irish Rover
  3. AnnetteP

AnnetteP New Member

I am going to bump a post for you to read; the title is "How to find a good CFS/FM doctor" and was posted by me. Please be sure to look for it as it has some really great information.

Awhile back there was someone on another board who was looking for a good dr. in Florida (I think he was in the Tampa area too). He called the lab I suggested which is one of the labs the article I posted includes (great smokies diagnostic lab) and found a dr. in his area. He told me the dr. had really helped him a lot with nutrion and supplements, among other things.

After you posted this request for a dr. I emailed him, asking him the name of the dr., but he has yet to get back to me.

So,I would suggest you read the article and follow some of the steps it suggests. I really like the sample interview the article gives you so that you know which questions to ask to get a good cfs/fm dr.

Hope this helps,
    Annette
  4. LuvMeCritters

LuvMeCritters New Member

I live in Brooksville. What kind of doctor are you looking for? I go to several for different things. Let me know if it's a pain doc, or someone to diagnose you, or mental health, and I can tell you who I see. There's also another poster on here, lilwren, she lives in Brooksville also. You might want to write a post to her and ask who she sees.

Regina
  5. IrishRover

IrishRover New Member

Thank you Regina,
    I am totaly new to this message board and know nothing, I need to see a Dr who will assess me,(I was assessed in Ireland 11 years ago) but it needs to be done in the US and I need treatment for the pain, right now I am in Kosova working as a vol, it is in my Bio, but I will be returning to the US in Dec and plan to get the treatment I need badly. Sometimes I think it is Pigheadedness that keeps me going, :)
    I would be grateful if you can let me know that persons name.
    Thank you again,
    Susan
  6. IrishRover

IrishRover New Member

Thanks Annotinette,
    I am totaly new to this board and don't know what bump a message means, but I would be grateful for the message and any name of a good Dr that can assess me and help me with the pain, I was assessed in Ireland 11 years ago but it needs to be done in the US, it is all in my Bio, that I am in Kosova at the moment working as a Vol but I will be back in the US in Dec and I want to get treatment as soon as possiable, I think alot of the time it is pure pig headness that keeps me going, :)
    Thank you again
    Susan
  7. LuvMeCritters

LuvMeCritters New Member

My rheumy is a woman, she is the one who diagnosed me with FM and CFS. She is in Brooksville. Her name is Shanty Purush. She a couple streets over from the B'ville Hospital, right across the stress from the B'ville Police Dept. I also use her as my primary care physician. She's wonderful, can't say enough good things about her. She REALLY cares.

For my pain meds. I go to a pain management doctor. His name is Dr. Armashi, and he is in Spring Hill, on 50. However, I imagine he could diagnose you too. I found him in the phone book, and his ad stated he helped fibromyalgia patients. He's very nice, very thorough, and not afraid to give you the pain meds you need. He has helped me a great deal, with the pain, restless legs, even anxiety.

Hopes this helps.

Regina
  8. IrishRover

IrishRover New Member

Dear Regina,
    Your Rummey Dr sounds just like what I need, I want to change my Primary Dr because for a whole year I asked him to send me to someone who understood my illness and he never bothered, I will be sure to look her up when I get home,
    Thank you so much
    Susan
  9. LuvMeCritters

LuvMeCritters New Member

If you do see Dr. Purush, you will love her. And her staff is excellent. No matter how bad you feel, they always make you feel better. Everyone I have referred to her, loves her. I think half my neighborhood goes to her, along with the part of my family that lives up this way. I see in your profile, we have a lot in common. I love to garden and I have a horse. Though I haven't ridden her since April. Due to the meds I'm on, I'm afraid I wouldn't have the reflexes or strength to control her if she were spooked. I live in a rural area surrounded by woods, and she is a wonderful trail horse, but I'm afraid to ride her in the woods now...snakes, birds flying off the ground, etc., usually don't bother her, but when riding you always have to expect the unexpected. Do you have a horse? If you look at my profile you can see a picture of her, and my other wonderful critters. :)

Regina
  10. Pinky

Pinky New Member

I go to a rheumatologist in Tampa, her name is Dr. Elizabeth Zable. She specializes in FM and CFS. I am just beginning my treatment with her and she has me on Ultram for pain, I tried Bextra but it did nothing for me and I take Ambien for sleep. She also gave me a prescription for a muscle relaxant. I also take a whole slew of Supplements- Magnesium/Malic Acid, Calcium,DHEA,Vitamin C & E, MSM, CQ-10, Glucosamine and Flaxseed. I also take ZMA at night for sleep.She gae me a prescription for a half hour neuromuscular massage once a week for 3 monthes. My first appointment with her lasted over an hour and a half and she spent every minute with me!
  11. lilwren

lilwren New Member

Sorry I didn't see this post before Regina! As Regina said I also live in Brooksville, but have not had any luck with finding a doctor in Hernando County. Sorry I couldn't be more help in that department. After I get done with my tooth and boob problems I will probably try Regina's doctor - Purush - for my CFS. Pinky’s doc sounds good too, but I hate the thought of having to drive all the way to Tampa. Talk about high maintenance women!

As far as supplements go - Dr. Cheney's Suggested Treatments for CFS is a good article that lists all the supps that help. Look in the library here.

love,
    Sharon L
    [This Message was Edited on 11/06/2002]
  12. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Irish Rover, you have gotten so many responses, I am just stopping to welcome you! If you have anymore questions, just please feel free to ask.

Again, welcome to our world, and I hope you have luck with a doctor.

Shalom, Shirl
  13. IrishRover

IrishRover New Member

Hi Regina,
    Again Thank you, I will go to see your Dr Purush when I get back she sounds wonderful and the type of Dr I need to see, Yes, gardening is my passion as was horses, but I had to stop riding 2 years ago because I had not power in my legs any more and I got throw a few times, but I am determined that I will get back up and ride again, I only know how to ride English style, but my Husbands Grandson is a great rider and has promised to show me how to ride Western.
    Maybe when I get home to Springhill in Jan we can exchange e-mail address and write and when you feel comfortable maybe phone numbers?? I have just been in the US a year and I have found it hard to make friends in Springhill.
    Thanks again Talk to you soon.
    Susan
  14. IrishRover

IrishRover New Member

I love all your critters!!! we have a Dog called Brandy who we rescued from the Dog Pound, she is a Golden Retriver/Chow Mix and a lovely dog, I miss her so much being in Kosova and can't wait to get back to see her.
    Regina what are threads?? I see the term used alot on the boards.
    See you,
    Susan