Please help me and share any sinus advice

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by phoebe1, Jun 7, 2006.

1. phoebe1

phoebe1 New Member

I have horrible sinusitis as I'm sure many of us on the board has, about 2 weeks ago I started having terrible pain in my jaw area as well as pain in my eyeball and a terrible metal taste in my mouth. I finished a course of antibiotics and it was definitely better, but since yesterday I have toothache, on the same side of my face as the last time, and all the other things that go with it like headache, sinus pain in my face, nasal drip and that stuffy feeling like everything is clogged up.

I have tried decongestants, cortisone, anti-histamines etc., what else can I try?
    I am flying next week wednesday and as you all know it is extra painful if your ears can't equalize, not to mention the nausea that goes with that.
    I will appreciate any advice!

Phoebe
  2. graydon

graydon New Member

Hi Phoebe,

Chiropractic helps me with those type of symptoms. Not sure if it will work for everyone, but in my case it has been very helpful.

Graydon
  3. gladone

gladone New Member

Hi Phoebe,

Has your doctor had a sinus x-ray or MRI done of your sinus cavity. If this has not been done I would request it (due to pain in the many areas stated).

Sinus infections that become chronic can be very serious if never cared for properly.

Your sinus runs from behind your head (low neck area) to the obviouse area then down into the ears and dumps into the body (depending on where the infection is).

I had a very bad sinus infection several years ago that did not show until an MRI was done. I was found to have a very serious infection in the sinus located at the base of my neck.

I would return to your doc as soon as possible and try to start again on antibiotics.

Best of luck,
    Gladone
  4. woofmom

woofmom New Member

Happens to me all the time. Please try and find out if you're sensitive to chemicals. Also make sure you're not using any artificial sweeteners.
  5. cinnveet

cinnveet New Member

Hi Phoebe,

I can relate, I have had 3 operations because of my sinus's being infected that all showed in head ct.

I too had a metalic taste, my teeth would hurt so bad because the sinus cavities run to them as well.

Face pain, head and neck pain etc... it was all infected.

Antibiotics helped a little but never cleared until operation.

Before flying go see an ENT. The Dr. will perscribe you medicine to drain you for your flight. Now when I fly, I must take sinus med's even if I dont have infection.

Usually Musinex Dm, and nasal sprays.

Thanks,
    Good luck and God Bless,
    Cin
  6. maggie_d

maggie_d New Member

Hi Phoebe,

I suffer from chronic sinusitis and have had all the diagnostic tests - xray, ctscan, and nothing major showed up. The one thing that helps me is NeilMed's Sinus Rinse, I rarely have to take decongestants, where in the past I was popping them daily. Has your Dr. sent you for tests ??

I highly recommend NeilMed Sinus Rinse, they do have a website if you want to check it out.

Take care,
    Maggie
  7. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

Hi Phoebe. Several years ago I had my first sinus infection ever and I don't have to tell you that the pain was horrible!

It took 3 weeks of antibiotics to get better and the CAT scan I had after that showed I still had some congestion, but the doc said it could go either way (get better or worse) so we would wait and see.

It did not get back to infection, praise God, but I suspect that I keep some congestion up there. I try to breathe deeply through my nose in the shower (steam) and usually if I start to hurt I can knock it out with saline nasal spray.

I use the Wal-Mart brand so it is not very expensive. The good thing with saline spray versus decongestant sprays is that it is non addicting and you can use it as much as you need to.

Good luck. Sinusitits is a a painful problem for sure. When I had it, I would sit on the bed at night at hold the top of my head and cry it hurt so bad.

Sonya
  8. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

hi phoebe,

i had a terrible sinus headache the other day and decided to spend the whole day experimenting with various fixes. the thing that worked best for me was very simple. i boiled some water, added 3 drops of rosemary oil, 2 drops of eucalyptus, covered my head with a towel and inhaled deeply for a minute. i would try this b4 your flight. your problem sounds complicated and i would definitely see a doctor, but you just might get enough non-drowsy relief to get you through.

eddie
  9. Empower

Empower New Member

One time I had such a (I thought) sinus headache and it turned out to be an infected tooth

Don't rule that out, because the roots of your teeth go into your sinuses
  10. stagename

stagename New Member

i used to have sinus headaches that would last 3-10 weeks. yes, i said 10 weeks. i had surgery to open my nose, remove polyps, scrape sinuses etc. it changed my life.

one less horrifying FM/CFS 'seconday condition' to deal with daily.
  11. victoria

victoria New Member

interesting info about sinuses at back of head, Gladone - now I know why I always end up hurting sooo badly there as it progresses. I need to go to chiro every few weeks for that reason!

But like Maggie, no tests (inluding MRI) show infection or obstruction or anything -- anyway I can almost always breathe thru my nose.

... only advice a doctor could give me that I haven't done or can't do - yet - was to move to Key West or a desert island...

I am going to try Maggie's advice as I haven't tried that one yet. Maggie your symptoms are a LOT like mine!

I have tried many many things, some have helped for a while but then quit, like all the RX sprays, steaming with eucalyptus + /- other oils, neti pot, antihistamines, nasal washes, nasal irrigation PIK, food elimination diets, etc., etc., etc...

And on top of it, the pressure/congestion can disappear without any rhyme, rhythm or reason any time of year and be gone for a week or 2 or just a few days or only one...

and even weirder is that my one seasonal allergy in the spring that I've had for past 13-4 years is now gone apparently, disappeared gradually (and no I haven't moved at all!).

The only (other) thing left that I am still trying to get an MD to RX for me from a compounding pharmacy is a nasal anti-fungal spray, even tho the grapefruit seed spray ultlmately didn't work either...

Chronic sinusitis is a very common symptom in our population.
    I feel that if that alone could clear up, I would get 50% or better of my energy and cognitive abilities back. I know the antihistamines and ibuprofen affect me greatly cognitively, not to mention the constant pain from it that I still often have anyway.

Interesting that (as far as I know) Mayo Clinic never seemed to have come out with a product like they promised after their landmark study about fungus causing most chronic sinusitis - -

- - unless anyone knows they did but it's the world's best-kept secret?????

all the best,
    Victoria

[This Message was Edited on 06/08/2006]
  12. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

Like someone else said, the NeilMed sinus rinse is awesome, if not a little bit of a hassle. I would recommend that anyone with sinus problems, or chronic stuffy nose try it!!
  13. phoebe1

phoebe1 New Member

Thank you for all the replies and advice, I don't think we have NeilMed sinus rinse in my country, can anyone tell me what is in it?
    My mother said I must try baking soda and salt in luke warm water, but I'm a bit sceptical, my nose is already burning. I don't know anyone who suffers from sinus as much as she does and she swears by it.
    I have used Rhinocort before but unfortunately it doesn't do anything for me.
    I will give the rosemary and eucalyptus a try and all the other advice I received.
    Does sinus only cause the upper teeth to ache because it is my bottom jaw and molar that is sore?

Hugs
    Phoebe
  14. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

Phoebe,

The one sinus infection I had did make my teeth ache, but in the top. I thought it was my tooth, went to the dentist who took an xray and told me I had a sinus infection.

So silly me, I went to Doc-in-a-Box, they did a sinus xray and said I had "a little haziness" in my sinuses but gave me an antibiotic anyway.

After a week, I was no better, found a REAL doc who sent me to the ENT where I had TWO MORE WEEKS of antibiotics before I was better and a CAT scan showed I still had some congestion, but the infection did not come back.

Wonder where those people get their medical degrees, KMart??? A little haziness....HA!
  15. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

My horrible sinus issues almost disappeared when I started treating my candida issue. You should rule out candida as a possible problem. The metal taste in your mouth is a symptom of candida. I had that taste for a few years and it's been gone for a couple months since I have been on candida diet and been using antifungals.
    Good Luck!
  16. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Did the doc culture the mucous in your nose? Sinusitis isn't always caused by bacteria. It can be a fungal infection and the ABX don't help that.

The best thing to keep the sinuses open and prevent infection is to snort saline solution up the nose. If you buy one already made, be sure it doesn't contain a preservative because that can damage the mucus membrames. I make my own in a dropper bottle with sterile water and natural sea salt which I buy from the healthfood store. It's expensive but goes a long way. It's better for flavoring too.

I take a dropper and tilt my head back. As I'm squeezing the bulb of the dropper, I hold the other nostril closed and sniff strongly while tilting my head forward to get the solution to the front of the sinus cavities. I do this all day long when my sinuses are clogged.

This is advice from a book written by the head of the ENT Dept. of the University of Colorado School of Medicine and it really is good.

Good luck to you.

Love, Mikie
  17. woofmom

woofmom New Member

That metal taste sounds like Multiple chemical sensitivities.
  18. place

place New Member

I had two sinus surgerys and had pain every day. Nothing typical would take care of it until:

Used the sinus spray in my nose. I used a nebulizer(spelling) to get into all of my cavities. But this would only last for 30 minutes and problems would return. Got a water pick too, that help flush out the infection.

I changed my diet, cut out wheat, soy, all vingers and beer/wine. Got 75% better but still had problems 1-2x a week.

Mean while, I have been getting allergy shots for 5 years

This year I started to use Acetylcysteine, it is a mucus thinner and very cheap. So any time I had a problem or fibrofog I it would take care of it for the rest of the day.

Three weeks ago the Doc just procribed a new treatment, where I mix Mupirocin (antibiotic cream) in my salt water solution. I have yet to have any sinus trouble since I started this treatment!

The doc said that 20% of people who continue to have sinus problems and did not respond to typical treatment had staph infections that the body could not get rid of. So I hope this treatment continues becuase I am a so much better now!
  19. place

place New Member

It is so funny you talk about energy. I can tell where the infection is by my mood. If I all of a suden get tired the infection is in my maxulaires (spelling) and I go an flush it out and I have the energy of a teenager. If it is behind my eyes, I get foggy and if it is at the bridge of my noses, I am in pain but no other side effects.

Every time I get some of the infection mucus out, I would have some much energy, I was happy and was not depressed. I thought it was crazy how this effected me and my mood.

Now I have not researched the Gui protocal but I often think this is why I think the Gui works for people. I use it to thin out my mucus but it could be that these people are just cleaning out their sinus.

When I am sinus healthy I am happy, have limitless energy and no fibro fog.

When I do have sinus issues, I am depressed and tired but as soon as I flush my sinus out, my energy and mood go through the roof within seconds.

Good luck all!
  20. place

place New Member

Sorry, first day of vacation and I got a long list to complete!

I started off a bit Holistic because there was nothing by the med community that helped me. I started to feel better with the holisic.

"Sinus Survival" by Robert s. Ivker, DO. Is the most comprehensive book I have ever read for sinus. I am sure you can get it from your library!

I used to do more holistic but now it looks like my doc or the med community has made some new progress and it has worked for me.