Please help me cope with sweats

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by severina, Oct 29, 2006.

1. severina

severina New Member

I am having trouble coping with the bad sweats, especially on my face & neck. My doctor has tested my hormones and says Im not menopausal..and also my thyroid, which is normal.
    She is saying this is due to fibro, or my meds - Im on Lyrica & Clomipramine.
    I just feel constantly horrible and dirty and I just wanted to ask how I can lessen the symptoms, infact any advice wanted on this subject, its really getting me down and this on top of pain isnt good.
  2. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

Hi Severina

What a beautiful picture of your little one playing the guitar in your profile.

I am a little older than you, 47 and also have FM. I suffer from sweats too. I have also had the thyroid and hormonal tests.

In the summer when it gets hot and humid I am miserable. Right now it is getting cold and I am always shivery because my clothes are always damp!

I wish I could give you and answer. I just wanted to let you know that you aren't the only one.

hugs Redwillow
  3. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

Sorry that I am not much help as I don't know how to get rid of them either.

AS soon as I start moving around and getting warm my face , neck , and head will start to sweat and it gets to the point where I have sweat dripping off of my face and on to my glasses. And it drives me nits.

My doctor said that it was my MScontin that was doing it ,but I have had it for much longer than i have been on that medication. So I don't know what is causing it either.
    YOu have my sympathies . And I wish that I could be more helpfull . I started wearing a sweat band when I am cleaning house to keep it from dripping down my face.

I know that you can get a special anitipersperatnat {SP} that is at the pharmacy counter. IT is called certian dry. It is for your under arms not your face.

I am sorry that I don't have a good answer for you,
    HUGS,
    Rosemarie
  4. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

I have severe heat intolerance with sweats. For nearly three years, the sweat was 24/7 and it was horrible. I could not wash my hair and dry it to go anywhere. It would continually re-wet itself.

Here are some tips I've learned:

Wear all cotton
    Wear loose clothing...At home loose cotton Tee's & lounging pants.

All cotton bedding

After shower or bath use cool water to cool down.

Lower the thermostats.

I keep the house cold (poor DH has to stay heavily clothed)

Use no makeup or Bare Minerals makeup

Do not wear heavy lotions or oils on your body

Use body powder (not talc)

This may help some. I know how bad it is.

5. dustysmom

dustysmom New Member

Hi! I'm new. I feel your frustration and embarrassment for I have sweats too. It makes me feel bad too. I usually tell people I'm having a power surge and make a joke out of it.
    Mine is caused by the Effexor I take and also the pain med Avinza. I carry cloth tissues (what are they called?) fancy ones. They make me feel better. The headband is a good idea because the sweat drips off of me when I clean house..then my glasses fall off. Yuck!

Betsy
  6. severina

severina New Member

Thanks to you for your imput. Its a really distressing symptom I think and its really getting me down, I feel like I cant even go out walking very far without it happening, even just sitting, it starts.
    Anyway thanks as ever to you all
  7. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I've already gone through menopause and do have hypothyroidism but the sweating I get now (whether from FM or meds) is much worse.

The only thing I've found that's helped me is having fans everywhere. I have one on my desk at work, one beside me on the couch in the evenings and I have one running in the bedroom at night.

All the best,

Eileen
  8. tinktink

tinktink New Member

I may have inherited my mothers smile but I inherited my fathers sweat glands.

My night time saviors are two things. A buckwheat hull pillow and a fan.

Go to a sporting goods store and get some of those wrist bands that people wear when playing tennis. You can wear one of those to wipe off excess in heated situations.

Best Wishes Diana
  9. kwsmom

kwsmom New Member

I have also had problems with sweating. I have found one supplement reccomended by my Dr. that has helped me. It sounds terrible but it comes in a capsule. The name of it is Black Cohosh and it can be found at just about any pharmacy. It has made quite a difference for me. Hope it helps.
  10. ksp56

ksp56 Member

Bless your heart! I went through early menopause and the sweating was horrid! I wonder if a part of this could be pre-menapause?

Whatever is causing you to have these, might be helped with black cohosh, that I saw someone else mention, along with Vit. E. My oncologist suggested this vitamin. I would take 3 capsules in the morning and another dose in the evening. I still have the 'sweats' but not quite as bad.

My head would get so hot, that when having hair color put on, it would process much faster due to the heat!

I hope you find something that helps cool you down.

Kim