Please help me get restorative sleep!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by CinCA, Jan 17, 2006.

1. CinCA

CinCA New Member

I am so exhausted I have fallen asleep with my clothes on and my contacts in lately, something I've never, ever done (although I haven't been as cold at night). But I still wake up so easily (esp. as hubby's snoring a lot currently), and our daughter consistently is up at or before 6 (or my hubby is, getting ready for work...he leaves by 6 or 6:30). So then I am at least awake, much as I try to lie in bed and get a little more rest.

I also just don't feel like I am getting enough stage 4/restorative sleep because of all the periods of light sleep/awakening. I am really unglued currently because of an upcoming move the end of the month (new job/relo) that I am extremely unhappy about.

Any ideas for sleeping better? I see a naturopathic physician and haven't taken any prescription meds for years (I am prone to severe reactions/side effects), but I am really getting desperate! Ideally, something more "natural" would be preferred, but I don't really care at this point. That being said, I don't even have a regular internist anymore who would prescribe anything for me.

Thanks for any advice I can get!
  2. CinCA

CinCA New Member

I have an "atypical reaction" to things like Benadryl and even valerian, which put most people to sleep. They set me off and I feel incredibly wired, like I drank way too many cups of coffee. My doctor said I'm one of the lucky ones who has an "atypical" reaction to such substances, and our 4 y.o. daughter appears to be the same way, based on the one time a few years ago I gave her Benadryl for severe nasal congestion (back when I was still seeing MDs). So that won't work. Bummer. Even awhile ago, I tried some sleep med samples like Ambien and one other thing I can't remember, maybe Sonata. OMG, Ambien made me feel just awful...I almost felt like I was hallucinating and having some sort of weird panic attacks. Not for me...I think I barely slept that night and kept trying to rationalize with myself that no, people were not out to "get" me. It was nasty, but right in line with the weird sorts of ways my body reacts to many prescription meds. So this is a tough problem to solve. Still, any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!
  3. CinCA

CinCA New Member

What is the shake? Thanks!
  4. CinCA

CinCA New Member

Saw your post, Stormskye. As a really busy mom, this sounds incredibly difficult for me to fit into my schedule. I honestly need something very easy, "pop-a-pill"-ish for the short term right now, sad as that is...at least 'til things get more settled in a few weeks. But the shake idea gives me some good things to work towards at that time. Thanks so much for the info!
  5. CinCA

CinCA New Member

Like the afternoon or night before, and keep it in the fridge? That would help a lot. Thanks, Stormskye, for the advice! And where can I buy the ingredients? We don't have any health food stores that are close to where I live, although I am 5 mins. from a Trader Joe's, and I think a GNC.

Thanks!
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

There are several things which can cause poor sleep. A sleep study can help define just what is going on while you are sleeping.

I take Klonopin and it has helped me to get restorative sleep. The ZMA sold here is an excellent sleep aid. It is vitamin B 6, zinc, and magnesium. If, instead of making you feel sleepy, it gives you energy, you can take it mid-day and keep taking it later and later. That's what I had to do. Also, you cannot take your calcium at night when you take the ZMA or it won't work.

There are some CD's which you listen to with earphones. They are designed to induce certain types of brain waves. The one for Delta waves helps me sleep. I got them at B&N.

Good luck to you.

Love, Mikie
    [This Message was Edited on 01/18/2006]
  7. Jen102

Jen102 New Member

which asked the same question and got several good responses. it was entitled "please help with insomnia" by ek. blessings to you. jen102
  8. hopeful4

hopeful4 New Member

I had to try many things before finding what helped me the most. Also, I did not want to take prescription sleeping medication.

Peaceful Nights from ProHealth helped me a lot, but not quite enough.

Then, I was helped by my acupuncturist. She put little "take-home" needles in my ear for sleep. They don't hurt at all, they're more like little, very little tacks with a little bandaid over them. They stay in for about 5 days.

She also gave me something called "Schizandra Dreams" by Health Concerns. It has schizandra, valerian, and calcium in it. Now I sleep very well, usually a full 8 hours!

Good luck, I hope you find something that really helps you.
    Hopeful4
    [This Message was Edited on 01/18/2006]
  9. JLH

JLH New Member

I didn't have any until I had a sleep study done which showed that I had obstructive sleep apnea.

I now sleep with a CPAP machine and oxygen.

..... and have pleasant dreams!

Hugs,
    Janet
  10. gnanny

gnanny New Member

I have used this for awhile now...my nail lady suggested it. Her naturopath told her about it. Herbal combination. one capsule for day one for night. I do sleep better.

google serenitol

best wishes
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

If one is taking Klonopin, one must take the magnesium well before the Klonopin. I take my Klonopin at 10:00 and if I take my ZMA by 7:00, it's OK.

Love, Mikie
  12. abbylee

abbylee New Member

A little over 2 years ago, I found that I was getting alpha waves during my delta sleep and was missing an important stage - stage 4 (restorative state). After my sleep study, I was given Xyrem ( which seems to be the best drug for sleep .) After about 6 weeks on Xyrem my symptoms got better by 50% or so.