Please help me I'm falling asleep...inappropriately!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Cactuslil, Mar 28, 2003.

1. Cactuslil

Cactuslil New Member

I am so scared! I have had several spells or episodes of dozing while driving. It takes an emergency for me to drive away from town.

Well coming home today from letting my son run in the local Wal=Mart to get a game he had worked for, I fall asleep, almost home upon a rize in the road leading to railroad tracks; I crossed the land and came within a few swift movements of heading my 1990 Factory Chevy Van into a little Taurus! I came home, defecated and threw-up! My son had been talking to me as we were driving across this little burg with I just zapped out. I would just be devastated if I actually hit someone. This is not my first incident but it was my closest.

what is going on? Help. CactusLil'
  2. 2girls

2girls New Member

Sounds like narcolepsy (spelling?) to me. I saw a segment on the subject last night on the Health channel. You may want to avoid dangerous situations until you talk to your doc!

Good luck
    2girls
  3. rosa

rosa New Member

Hi! Ive had cfs for 12 years. Been taking provigil(modafinil) for 3. It does give me increased stamina, but more impotantly, it is a narcolepsy med. It has to be prescribed by a doctor. Good luck, R.
  4. prsonlfailur

prsonlfailur New Member

this is why i gave up driving. i don't actually fall asleep, but i'll "come to" a half mile down the road with no idea how i got there. i'm afraid of killing someone during an episode, so i don't drive.

perhaps one of your meds, or the mix of them, is causing this.

good luck
  5. sofy

sofy New Member

Your condition is as bad as driving when drunk. Think how awful your son would have to feel if you killed someone taking him somewhere. Dont do that to him.
    You need to see a certified sleep dr., prefferably a neurologist, and have a sleep and mslt test in certified sleep center. Look up some of the narcolepsy sites and they will tell you how to look for a qualified.
    Please dont delay cuz your son is riding with a very dangerous person.
  6. Shirl

Shirl New Member

You are going to have to stop driving untill you find out what is the cause of this, and what can be done for it.

You know, I quit driving because of the back and shoulder pain, I was afraid that if I got that stabbing pain from turning the wheel, or when it just comes on that I would hurt some innocent person.

You have your son in that car, for his sake as well as others, quit driving till this is resolved. I know how hard that can be, but you must stop before something happens that you can't fix.

Please listen to the advice you have just gotten here. You are always helping others, now you need some help. Ask a friend or your daughter to drive for you for awhile.

Thats what I do. I can drive now, but to be honest, I rather someone else behind the wheel, less stress for me anyway.

Take care my friend, as always, you are in my prayers, and your precious Will too.

Shalom, Shirl

7. Cactuslil

Cactuslil New Member

First of all I did not leave my home yesterday to scare my son or hurt others...as a matter of fact I had been putting it off, the trip to Wal-Mart to get the item I had promised. I stayed in the Van because I knew I did not have the strength to make it into the store.

Not to get into a hairball but being of the religious preference I am practicing self-sufficiency is key; so I figured I could at least drive across this little burg to make good my word. He was leaving for visitation right after a church get together and other than just being "down" I left in broad daylight, going the back way both to and fro.

As any on here know I laid down "city driving" after about having a nervous wreck going to a social security affair. I have made good on not driving in a city due to the lacking ability to drive safely.

I did not write this post just for a tongue lashing about what I should not have done! I was writing to ask if any of you had had this type of experience since being diagnosed with fibro. I am offended by any that would think I would deliberately seek to harm.

I was ill as this sickening thing unfolded and continue to be concerned. Also to the "talk to the doc" thing; I called last night to see what doc was covering the county as my doc said if anything unusual ever happened while he was on shift to call anytime, day or night and this was 5:30 p.m. Lil'
  8. LynneH

LynneH New Member

No, this is not a fibro related thing. Have you been diagnosed with CFIDS too? I have to agree with the first post that said is sounds like narcolepsy. Remember that you should never attribute symptoms to fibro that could be something else. Anyway, fibro does not cause someone to fall asleep in a split second after being fully aware of their surroundings...but....narcolepsy does!
    LynneH
  9. Cactuslil

Cactuslil New Member

I will take off into narco-land. I have been really trying to be "regular" in my hours and thus my 10-year old son as he is homeschooled and that is just one of many tenetes to be learned.

I have known two narcoleptics. One almost killed himself and his girlfriend and the other was a mormon missionary and he would just go plop on the couch while visiting! I contacted his missionary pres. as I was afraid he would be reluctant to do so. Thank you! Lil'
  10. tansy

tansy New Member

I've had CFS for 22 years. In the beginning it was very unpleasant but didn't get really bad for the few two years,
    The first thing I noticed when all this started was a change in my sleep patterns and quality of sleep.
    I really feel that for years this led to a continuing worsening of my condition despite pacing and a positive attitude.
    I became wise as to how badly this was affecting me when a new GP agreed I needed to help with my obvious sleep problems.
    It was difficult then to seperate the cfs symptoms with those brought on by such a long term & significant sleep deficit.
    It took my doctor and I almost a year to get the sleep medication that would work at least some of the time, I added high doses of valerian to this and I'm sure my evening dose of baclofen helps too.
    The favourite long term medications for sleep problems are the sedating anti depressants but they were disasterous for me, if they worked I just couldn't function. The would make me feel very ill sometimes too.
    I now know the difference between sleep deficit and cfs, the former causes me to doze off anywhere at anytime.
    It's worth looking into your sleep patterns but in the meantime perhaps you could get your doctor to try out some form of medication just to see if it makes a difference.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/29/2003]
  11. jstbrznby

jstbrznby New Member

Ditto here too, I have posted about all my close calls over the past 3 years, it is like driving drunk though I must say I never in my life passed out while drinking!!

This summer I was in Denver and found a Pain Management DR who prescribed me Provigil. He saved my life with this stuff! As you have heard it is a Narcolepsy med, and these symptoms fall under that heading. This stuff has saved my life and allowed me to function on a whole new level. Ask your Dr about it, hope it helps you too!
    Hugs....Pam
  12. rosa

rosa New Member

Hi again, Really, read my bio, I stated to faint when I was driving. I feel bad that you are chastised on your answers, Rosa
  13. obrnlc

obrnlc New Member

hi cactuslil'.
    had the same problem awhile back, falling asleep at work and it was getting VERY NOTICEABLE to supervisors, was sure i had narcolepsy. doc ordered provigil but insur. wouldn;t cover it. i had been on increasing dosages of duragesic (fentanyl) but thought i was handling that well. Turned out that after an awful withdrawal, (doc felt it wasn't helping me enough) that that sleepy sensation went away, and my family told me how mentally dull i had been, i didn't notice it but it was all because of pain meds. Hope this helps-laurie
  14. 1maqt

1maqt New Member

A couple of years ago I went to this little marked to pick up some produce. I knew I felt funny, but shrugged it off.
    I checked out, went to my car, and was totally lost. I had driven for 17 yrs,. Finally I remembered, DUH, start the car! I drove for several blocks and couldn't figure out why I had such a hard time seeing. Then it dawned on me, it was pouring down rain and I didn't have the wipers on!!
    Finally I figured out how to turn on the wipers, and that was scary! I forgot how to drive completely?? What's up with that? I totally understand. Some times it happens when you're away from home, and you have to figure out how to get back. I don't drive much anymore. I have to have a really good day.I agree it scares the pants off you!
    ~1maqt~