PLEASE HELP ME....PHLEGM IS UNBEARABLE !!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Francey54, Sep 4, 2005.

1. Francey54

Francey54 New Member

Hi Everyone:

This is a little yukie but I need your help. I have a serious phlegm issue. I wake up every morning with my throat full of phlegm. It is so uncomfortable and annoying. I hate it when I am in public and I feel like I have to cough up. I don't, I have to walk around with that stuck in my throat, yuke! It is getting unbearable.

Anyone else have this problem? I have heard somethng about Guaifenesin. Does this help? If so, how is it best taken in syrup of pill form?

Any advice you can give me will be so appreciated.

Thanks.

Tender hugs,
    Francey
    [This Message was Edited on 09/04/2005]
  2. pepper

pepper New Member

but I do have the same terrible problem which is at its worst first thing in the morning. I was able to get rid of it by taking Reactine every day. I ran out of Reactine last week and it was back in 3 days. Went out and bought more Reactine today.

Pepper
  3. Francey54

Francey54 New Member

Hi Pepper:

Never heard of Reactine, do I need a prescription or is this something that is over the counter? I am willing to try anything.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Hugs,
    Francey
  4. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I would check for allergies. Last year I discovered I had a severe allergy to dust mites which caused chronic sinus infectoins, and of course mornings were worst as I had been sleeping in my bed, home of the dust mites, all night.

Do you drink milk or eat dairy products? These are notorious for producing mucus and phlegm.

You might have other food allergies causing the phlegm. Other common allergies are wheat, soy, corn.

Mary
  5. pepper

pepper New Member

It is just an over the counter anti-histamine for the relief of allergic symtpoms. Aerius is actually the one I ended up buying today because it was on sale. There are many other brand names. You just want to make sure that you get the non-drowsy kind. I also prefer the 24 hr pills so I don't have to remember to take it more than once a day.

I started using the Reactine daily about a month ago because I had a strange cough that started high up in my throat. My doctor told me it was from allergies. I thought he was wrong so decided to try the antihistamine every day (to prove him wrong) and the cough went away. Luckily so did that awful phlegm! And the doctor was right.

When I ran out I figured that I had overcome the problem. Then the phlegm and the cough came back so I know that I need it at least until allergy season is over.

I hope this helps.
    Pepper
  6. pepper

pepper New Member

Reactine, Aerius and other anti-histamines just suppress the allergic symptoms. If you can get to the route of your allergies, that would be a better long-term solution. And dairy products are mucous-producing, even more so if you are allergic to them.

Pepper
  7. You have to get the pflem out, or else you can get pneumonia. Guaifensin thins out the mucous. I also have alot and it is annoying. Mucinex is good, and is guaif also.
  8. rrsbaby

rrsbaby New Member

I also would have an allergy test. I am allergic to molds and also rag weed and golden rod, which are blooming now. I take an allergy pill every day which helps,(Zertec 10 mg).My allergic reaction is in my sineus, not sneezing, runny nose ect. My sineus' compact, and also when they drain it is down the throat. ECH

So thus you get the phlegm thing, and with alot of fm meds they cause dry mouth...

Hope this helps,
    rrsbaby
  9. Francey54

Francey54 New Member

OK Guys:

Thank you for the insight. Yes I am a heavy dairy product eater, didn't know that could cause phlegm. I love this site, I learn so much from you guys. Will cut down and see if it makes a difference.

I know dust mites cause alergies but didn't think it could cause phlegm too. Yuke!! I will go to an allergist and be tested. I hope I am not allergic to my doggies.

Bless you all.

Hugs,
    Francey
  10. tansy

tansy New Member

are the first thing one should suspect with this problem, if this is the cause it will gradually clear up once you stop consuming them.

Onions are great for breaking phlegm and catarrh down. There's a tradtional remedy based on onions that you could use first thing in the morning until you find what the cause(s) is -

The remedy can be made using a chopped raw onion drizzled with honey and left over night, and then a dessertspoon should be taken every 2 hours.

love, Tansy
  11. Francey54

Francey54 New Member

Dear Tansy:

I am going to try your onion receipe. Doesn't sound to tasty but I am willing to try anything to get this yuke out of my system.

Thanks for the suggestion. God Bless.

Hugs,
    Francey

12. HppeandMe

HppeandMe New Member

I think you are the one who has so much in common with me. I am so glad you brought this up. I have never heard anyone mention this before and it is a horrible problem for me. I do notice many medications make it worse for me, sugar makes it worse and many other things. This one should definately be on the symptom list. When I told the FFC they said no one had ever mentioned that symptom before. The antihistmines will work as a temporary shield but I wonder what's causing this. I am spitting all of the time. It's gross. I know how you feel!!!

Take care,
    Hope
  13. Suzan

Suzan New Member

Devin Starnyl's list of fibro symtoms...This makes the list! It is evidently not unusual to have post nasal drip/allergies/mucous difficulties according to her.
    I , too, have some issues with this...it is amazing to me how much snot I can actually produce!!LOL
  14. Francey54

Francey54 New Member

Thank you for bringing up more phlegm causing foods. Wow, beef, orange juice and chocolate. I also love all three, but have cut way back on orange juice and chocolate because of my my bad acid reflux.

I have Devins Starnyl's book. Read it when I was first diagnosed, didn't notice anything about phlegm but, will go back to it and check.

Thank you my dear frends, you are all knowledgeable. I need to learn alot more about our ailments, but in the meantime I offer my love and support to you guys whenever you need it.

Hugs,
    Francey
  15. ckk

ckk New Member

excuse me tansy, but may i ask a personal question? do you not like us? onions and honey? ha, ha, ha just kidding!!!! sounds really yucky and i am just tryin' to be a little funny, did it work? honestly though, guess who is going into the kitchen right now to try it, 'cause i cant stand this anymore myself! thanks in advance if it helps!
    ckk
  16. tansy

tansy New Member

which I would not recommend long term due to the sugar content of the honey, other recipes recommend brown sugar. It was just a short-term solution using ingredients that most of us already have, so it can be ready for use tomorrow morning. Hope it works for you.

It is important to work out what is causing the production of so much mucous. I suffered from this and nighttime choking due to the post nasal drip combined with other factors, so I understand how horrible it can get. Thankfully this is one of a growing list of symptoms I can put into past tense.

And yes your comment did make me smile so it worked. :)

Love, Tansy
  17. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear Fancey,
    I had that problem a while ago, and I helped it by:

1. re-assessing my allergies and really stopping from eating things I am sensitive to.

2. I drank a glass of hot water with a teaspoon of vinegar, three tiimes a day.

3. I also started the day with a glass of 1/2 lemon in water.

4. I started using a netti pot. This really helps!!

I hope these ideas help you.
    Terry
    [This Message was Edited on 09/05/2005]
  18. jesfms

jesfms New Member

guai is an expectorant and some belief helps with myofascial knots can be bought without prescription and by itself might help
  19. Francey54

Francey54 New Member

Thanks everyone for all the tips. I think the overall theme here is that this phlegm is a result of allegeries. Alergeies to certain foods, to mold, dust mites and God knows if it is my two furbabies. One of them is forever trying to lick my entire face and I wonder now if her saliva could be a cause.

Well anyway I have alot of food for thought (no pun intended) Hee Hee

By the way CKK how did you like the taste of onions and honey? I tried it this morning, quite crunchy and tasty wouldn't you say? If it works who cares if we have bad breath.

Thanks Tansy for the remedy. Will let you know how it works for me.

God Bless.

Tender hugs,
    Francey
  20. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Francey - I don't think you need to be allergic to dairy to have it produce phlegm. If someone has a bad cold or is very congested, doctors generally tell you to stop dairy until it clears up. I think the worst offender is milk. I don't think cheese and yogurt are too bad, although initially you might want to cut it all out to see what happens.

So even if you don't have a dairy allergy, it still can cause lots of mucus. But I suppose if you were allergic, it could be worse.

Good luck!

Mary