PLEASE HELP ME.....These daily SORE THROATS are unbearable !!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Francey54, Aug 12, 2005.

1. Francey54

Francey54 New Member

Hi Dear Friends:

I find myself in a quandary. I have a severe case of Erosive Esphagatis. This has caused me to have daily unbearable sore throats. My Gastro put me on Prevacid 30mg twice a day. I started it and the throat and acid reflux got a lot better in about two weeks.

However, I noticed I was getting daily headaches until the point of getting migranes. The result?.... The Prevacid, bad side affect, so I had to stop. Same thing with Nexium and Protonix. The others: Zantac, Tagamet, Pepcid, and Prilosec do not work for me. My Gastro offers no other alternative.

The sore throat is back in full swing. It hurts to just swallow. I don't know what to do about this, it is UNBEARABLE!

Have any of you gone through this and if so have you found any holistic or natural cure for this malady?

ANY SUGGESTIONS WILL BE SOOOOOOOOOOOO APPRECIATED.

Thank you.

Hugs,
    Francey
  2. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

doctors don't know much about this, they havne't a clue how to cure it, just to drug it. So if you can afford a holistic nutritionist, this is totally treatable. Since I just so happen to be one, I can giv eyou some tips. I've had reflux and it's very easy to knock it back.

I'm really tired, but a few quick tips:
    - digestive enzymes to properly digest your foods
    - aloe vera juice diluted 1 oz to start to 4 parts water, 3 times daily on empty stomache, it will heal all it coats
    - marshmallow root is one of the safest oldest remedy for soothing sore throats and tender guts (very cheap, get ground root at bulk herb store, mix w/ water
    - avoid problem foods and be very careful about diet while you treat this

Ask whatever questions and fill me in on your personal situation and suspected or known food sensitivies, IBS/IBD, etc.?

Jeanne
  3. sharon5650

sharon5650 New Member

for sure I know what you mean, I live with this on a daily basis. I visit the ENT doctor the most, thank-god he is one of my favorites. I usually am on antibiotics and bed rest, have had polyops removed from my throat and nose, due to all the problems....rest your voice too. stress and post nasal drip causes some of it....believe it or not.....we get very run down quickly. sharon5650
  4. Francey54

Francey54 New Member

Thank you for your suggestions.

Jeanne-in-Canada, I wrote down all the things that you advised, will buy them and see how it goes.

Stormeyskye, you don't sound like a broken record to me, remember I have only been around this site for about three weeks, so I will look into the Probiotics.

Now that you mention it Sharon 5650, when I have been given antibiotics in the past the sore throat goes away, but returns after a few weeks. Ugggggh. Also, I do have a post nasal drip problem since childhood.

I do hope some of this works, it has become a desperate situation; raspy voice, dry throat it never ends.

God bless all of you for your kindness.

Hugs,

Francey54
  5. Banka8

Banka8 New Member

Francey,

Since your sore throat is the result of gastric reflux you need to play around with your diet to see what foods or combinations of foods are causing excess acid.

If I were you I would try to eat proteins and non starchy vegetables together. Then wait three hours to eat fruit.
    Each meal should be digested then wait three hours till the next meal. Flour and other grains should be avoided in the beginning to see if your symptoms improve. Then add wheat or grain products later to see if these are causing a problem. If you notice acid after a meal with flour or other grains then you might have a problem with gluten. Gluten is found in wheat and rye, oatmeal and some other grains.

Digestive enzymes are a good idea also.

You need to straighten out your stomach problems.

I hope you start to feel better soon.

Take care

Judy
  6. Suekoo

Suekoo New Member

I'm having good luck with Aciphex 20 mg. Ask your Gastro about it :)
  7. Francey54

Francey54 New Member

Thank you Judy:

You are right, diet has everything to do with it. I have stopped eating alot of the irritating foods such as; colas, chocolates, tomatoes, mints, beer, pizzas, hot dogs. I do notice that wheat gives me bloat so I am stoping that too. It is so sad because I LOVE all the above. It is hard.

I try and eat healthy, drink alot of water but it seems my acid reflux is really very very bad. I let it go too far and now there is no medication that I can take because of the side effects.

At any rate, maybe a good nutricionist might help. Thanks for caring, I really appreciate it.

God Bless.

Soft hugs,
    Francey54
  8. Francey54

Francey54 New Member

Suekoo: Thanks for mentioning the Aciphex, I forgot to put it in the list of meds I can't tolerate.

Aciphex also gives me a headache. Ugggggh

Anyway I appreciate the suggestion.

Hugs,
    Francey54
  9. Francey54

Francey54 New Member

Stacey:

I have never heard of Mangosteen capsules but I will go to the health food store and buy some.

Thank you so much for the tip.

I just LOVE coming here. All of you have so much to share with others. I was feeling so alone these last three years since I stoped working and now I have a new family.

I am very grateful.

Hugs,
    Francey54
  10. Jeanne-in-Canada

I have a bit more pep now. Not sure how much you get heartburn, but aloe is very soothing. Someone has a great thread on herbals and I should pop the bit about aloe in here. for acute attacks, milk of magnesia is probably the gentlest you can use.

There is also a product you can look for that may be very good for your condition. It is by Lilly of the Valley, it's the brand of aloe juice I always get, can't guarantee you have it where you are. But they have a new combo, w/ aloe, marshmallow and other herbals to really heal and treat your type of problems. I almost got it myself.

I never let my own digestive problems get quite to the point you did, but they were once very bad, w/ excrucitating bloat and constipation from undiagnosed food sensitivities and candida. I've had my share of those horrid bile burps too.

I got the worst offending foods out of my pantry a long time ago, and it was hard at first. But rest assured, it will become a way of life, and when you branch out and find more variety, you'll enjoy much better food. I eat better now than I ever did. The more variety the better too, because we tend to become sensitive to what we eat too much of.

You may find it hard to believe now, but those junky foods you miss so much now, one day, you'll wonder why you ever liked them when you get used to fresh whole foods. Now if I have a package of some ready made whatever I used to find delicious, it tastes like chemicals and a cloying amount of salt. If you haven't noticed a connection yet, watch out for MSG and sulphites and extra esp. HYDROGENATED OILS, they wreak havoc on our bodies.

If you aren't yet taking a probiotic, Stormy's so right, and I was too tired to remember. I'd recommend Natural Factors or Jarrodophilus, much more affordable and good brands to get used to.

If you get that marshmallow root I mentioned, which is wonderful healing stuff, which also chelates and has 30% pectin, then grab some dandelion and catnip in the bulk herbs section. A combo tea is amazing for your gut. the dandelion will help your tortured liver and increase bile for better food digestion. Catnip is relaxing, it's from the mint family and smells nice too, some don't like the bitter of dandelion (I love it) so it improves the taste for some. It relaxes the mind and the gut, it can improve bowel function because of it's calming effect on smooth muscle and aid in inflammation. I have a real proud big bulky b.m. the day after having catnip (I'm sure you are glad I shared that, he).

Both are very gentle, you may have a clerk try and upsale you into buying capsules of herb. I wouldn't, I've tried capsulating dandelion leaf and it's more harsh in a sensitive gut than when you gently extract the benefits. For easyness though, tincture or extract is good too, but you save substantial money by scooping your own baggy of herbs.

Btw, there is a thread going w/ good descrips on the herbs I've mentioned, by Tansy or Stormy I think.

Jeanne
  11. Francey54

Francey54 New Member

Thank you Jeanne-in-Canada

I appreciate all the information. You really know your Stuff. I will buy all the things that you have suggested.

I do need to get this under control, the pain at times in the pit of my stomach and the sore throats are unbearable some days. I have been told I am one step away from Barrets Esophagus, and that is not good.

Thanks for caring.

Soft hugs,
    Francey 54
  12. Francey54

Francey54 New Member

Ace's Nanna:

You are absolutely right. I thank all of the wonderful people here who help me everyday with their kindness and willingness to share what they know. I am very grateful and will acknowledge them as I buy the products. I am going to try some milk of mag. also.

Jan:

Thanks for the tip about vinegar. I am going to try it. I know that I will find some relief now that all of you have responded so generously with your tips for relief.

I will let all of you know how I am feeling after I try all the different remedies in about a week or so.

Many hugs,
    Francey54
  13. Jeanne-in-Canada

It can be a wonderful remedy, don't get me wrong. but I'd be concerned about the affect to your already corroded tract, it is an acid.

Reflux problems are not an overproduction of acid, that is a rare condition indeed for many reasons. The reflux is a result of not enough acid to digest foods, and that is why vinegar (an acid) can aid digestion for those w/ this problem. However, you are already raw, so be cautious. Also, you have many digestive issues and I'd be surprised if moulds (top of allergy lists) weren't one of your many worst allergies, vinegar is fermented, even smelling it gives me a headache. Try smelling it hard and long and see what happens first. A gentler aid that does the same thing, only is not fermented, is fresh lemon juice, you can dilute in water, but I'd still proceed w/ caution.

Jeanne
  14. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I have severe GERDS as well so I can sympathize. For me the acid caused terrible earaches (acid travelled into the ear canals when I was sleeping) as well as severe sinus problems and even a lung infection when I aspirated it.

I'm one of the lucky ones who can take Losec (Prilosec for those south of our border) I did have side effects for the first month, but after that things settled down. I still have bouts of reflux even taking those pills.

There is surgery that they can do which aids in the prevention of the acid travelling up the windpipe. My husband and I also raise our bed six inches at the head and never eat more less than 3 hours before bed.

What food affects my husband and I is entirely different. Go figure. I wish I more suggestions to offer.

Best wishes

Eileen
  15. Francey54

Francey54 New Member

Jeanne: Good caution about the vinegar. True my esophagus is so raw that maybe the vinegar might burn. Maybe once the erosions go away vineger might be a deterrant.

Eileen: Lucky you can tolerate Prilosec. Id give anything to be able to tolerate some meds that help.

What you mention about surgery, I read something about that. I think it is called Fundoplication. It is not done where I live but, I have seen it on the Mayo Clinic website. If nothing solves this problem, I may have to look into that.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Hugs,
    Francey
  16. gramaT

gramaT New Member

It seems that my sore throats come when my yeast is high.
    I have heard, like Stormey that a probiotic will help with the GERD also. I know I need to cut out sugar, but its hard with a sweet tooth like mine. I went one whole year without sugar or bread when I went to a holistic Dr and lost wt and felt great. I need to do it again. I have found a connection between the sugar and my pain too so it would help to cut down on it. When I was paying a Dr to help me it wasnt so hard to do.

Good Luck
    Hugs,
    Carolyn (grama T)
  17. Francey54

Francey54 New Member

Dear Carolyn:

I would not be at all surprise if I have a high candida yeast count. I have been trying to get a doctor to have me tested but they don't believe in that.

Have others experienced this with their doctors? It is very frustrating when you want something done and a doctor dismisses it.

Hugs,
    Francey54
  18. suz9601

suz9601 Member

Although I dont have the refux like you I have had a sore throat w/white patches for over a year and a half now. Docs are of no help. The culture and it comes up negative then they put me on abx anyway. It has gotten a lot worse the past couple of weeks w/my entire throat becoming white and hurting. I dont know what else to do. I cant go through a surgery right now w/my body as weak as it is, so I cant have tonsils removed. I dont know if it is ebv or what. Anyway, I have had this constant sore throat too..hope you find help soon, and me too. Hang in there.
  19. Francey54

Francey54 New Member

Dear Sue:

Oh hon I am so sorry that you have had a sore throat with patches for over a year. I too have had the white patches and sores in my mouth. It drives me crazy!!

You are absolutely right, doctors are of no help. They give you antibiotics left and right but the core of the problem is not treated. Maybe we both have candida yeast in our system. It sure would make sense.

Hoping you get better soon. I will be praying for you.

Hugs,
    Francey54
  20. Jeanne-in-Canada

Suz,
    It sounds like you have oral thrush. Abx will only make that worse. I have found it very easy to treat by using plain yogurt, a good one w/ only milk and live bacterial cultures as ingredients. You just retain a mouthful for a few mins., and spit it out, several times a day. the results are visible in a half day or less. I've only ever had it mildly because this is so effective, so it's only taken me a day or two to treat. You also need to eat bout half a cup a few times a day to kill off yeasts taht may have proliferated in your esophagus as well. Hope you are taking a good probiotic, you need it.

Francey,
    just want to stress how important the marshallow root is. I'd start small at maybe half tsp. in a few ounces of water, mix well, let sit for awhile then add milk so it's half and half. the soothing relief is almost immediate. I used it tonight for a bad IBD flare, every other trick I have wasn't working, I'll tell that story when I start a separate marshmallow root thread.

Good luck and make sure you let us know how things are working.

Jeanne