Please help me with symptoms of numbness/tingling in hands.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by abbylee, Sep 24, 2005.

1. abbylee

abbylee New Member

For the past several months my hands and fingers feel cold and numb, and they tingle. My husband says that they are cool to the touch. They feel like the sensation one gets after hitting the "funny bone." Electric shock-like.

I had an MRI a couple of weeks ago, and it was OK - no stroke in the near future, etc.

My doc wants me to go to the neurologist for nerve studies. I've had lots of upper back pain for years and have a ruptured disc and 2 buldging discs, but don't plan to have surgery.

Do you know if this is a symptom of any disease? I don't want to spend a bunch of money on tests, only to be told that my hands and fingers are going to be cold and numb, and tingle.

On the other hand, if it's the beginnings of some sickness, I would like to know about it.

Help!! You guys have always been able to answer any question I've ever had about any topic, so I'm depending on you now....

Thanks and hugs to you all.

abbylee PS - Before you reply, please scroll down and read my post titled "More info."[This Message was Edited on 09/24/2005]
  2. abbylee

abbylee New Member

Thanks for responding. That's what I'm afraid of.

abbylee
  3. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

When I go for my appts. with my rheumatologist, he always asks me if I have cold extremities and/or numbness and tingling. He says they can be a symptom of FMS.

Sorry it's so uncomfortable. Keep Warm!

Kathy.
  4. jennypee

jennypee New Member

Sometimes it feels like my hands are swollen also, but they really aren't. The tingling/numbness drives me absolutely nuts! Doc says it's a common symptom of Fibro.
  5. abbylee

abbylee New Member

pianowoman, naturebaby, and jennypee - thank you so much for your responses. Your information is helping put my mind at ease about what this could be. But I'm so sorry that you have it, too!!

I can't believe that I forgot to mention this, but 3 times since the first of the year I've awakened to find that one of my arms (including hand and fingers) are completely numb. I have no feeling whatsoever, and cannot pick anything up at all.

This condition lasts for about 3 days with me improving a little each day, though I still cannot hold the hair spray can and push the button with one hand anymore.

Also, I've always had severe leg cramps, but the other day I went to see a friend and almost could not go up her steps. There were only 4, and I almost had to lift each leg with my hands and arms.

Later, I tried to run, and I couldn't do it. And when I walk, sometimes I'm so jerky that I feel like a wooden puppet (and I probably look like one, too).

I walk a lot during the day, and rarely sit down more than a few minutes. I'm surely more active than when I sat at a desk and wrote computer code all day.

What in the world could be going on??

abbylee
  6. ephemera

ephemera New Member

Yes, I've experienced the tingling pins & needles burning sensations for sesveral years. Then came the slicing or cutting sensations in my extremities. Las night the same cutting was in my right kneecap. Horrible.

I also get numbness in my arms & shoulders, legs, various parts of my mouth, etc. It goes on for hours. Just awful.

This gets so bad that the pain makes me want to run away from my skin screaming out load. Sometimes the pain is at the surface, other times deeper & it migrates in strange ways.

have gotten no answer from various doctors. Just, it's fibro. Well, that's not good enough. These symptoms are would make others think about cholesterol & stroke, etc. Well, no tests have ever identified anything. Phooey!
  7. abbylee

abbylee New Member

You are so right. But I'm tired of everything being blamed on fibro. The next thing will be that fibro is the cause of high cholesterol.

abbylee
  8. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Abblee:
    I would go to a neurologist right awya. I see one every three months.

Not a doctor, but with your symtoms....I woud look for one.

Hugs,
    NryoFan
  9. abbylee

abbylee New Member

Your post has a sense of urgency in it. Do you know what could be wrong? Do my symptoms point toward something that you are familiar with?

I guess I am asking if I should treat this as an emergency or simply put it on the "to do" list but get it done within the next few months?

abbylee
  10. brit_17759

brit_17759 New Member

I also get tingling and numbness in my hands fingers, some mornings I wake up and my last three fingers on each hand are numb, and once I move my arms, they start tingling and the numbness goes. I also get the same in my feet and legs. My doctor told me it is all part of the FM.

hugs,
    brit
  11. jaltair

jaltair New Member

Your symptoms could be do to compression on a nerve resulting in carpal tunnel syndrome or ulnar tunnel syndrome, or even Raynaud's syndrome (This is a problem resulting from the constriction of tiny arteries that bring blood to fingers or toes).

I think the advice that you've been given to see the neurologist and have some testing is sound advice. However, if nerve constriction is the problem, surgery may be the only permanent solution.

Warm wishes, Jeannette
  12. mommysisland

mommysisland New Member

It's good to "see" you and your post, though I'm sorry you are going through this experience. What you are describing sounds like peripheral neuropathy. I usually woke up with it, and sitting at the computer and typing seemed to bring it on in my hands. It was one of the symptoms that made me feel nuts as nobody can see it, and numbness and tingling really seem like they cannot, definitionally, occur at the same time,(but they DO)!

I think of it as our bodies way to complain about poor circulation and nerve conduction. The body, when challenged (and ours are all the time), protects, at all cost, what is most important -- heart, breathing and brain functions, leaving the extremities numb and cold when it must. I'm sure this is a gross oversimplification, but it helps me think about it. It's a warning sign, but of what?

I've read many explanations for peripheral neuropathy, some which are very consistent with my model, some markedly less so. It is not unusual in CFS. Try typing it into Google and see what all you find that fits your situation.

My understanding is that nerve conduction studies are quite helpful IF 1)you can predict when the situation is likely to occur, or it is, unfortunately, 2) a constant condition. I did not have it done, because I'd have to schedule it first thing in the morning, and other matters always seemed more pressing/distressing. Now, the numbness/tingling is all but totally gone! I kind of wish I had done it so I could say: "see!" But having had it stop bothering me is even more rewarding.

I wish you similar success, Abbylee!

Jessica

13. abbylee

abbylee New Member

Thank you for the new ideas. I'm not familiar with many of those conditions, but with the names and some idea of what they are, I should be able to do some web research and maybe get some answers.

My sleep doctor is a neurologist so I'll make an appointment with him next week.

mommysisland - it's been a long time!!! Where have you been? I've not "seen" you in quite a while!!

How have you been, and what are you doing now?

I'm still on 8 mls of Xyrem, and still enjoying less pain, more mobility, etc.

I'm working from home for a call center and I also moderate a chatroom for another site.

You've not been spending as much time here as you once did, or I'm just missing your visits. Hope you'll reply.

abbylee
  14. LollieBoo

LollieBoo New Member

I have had such similar symptoms... I hate to hear it. I have been rushed to the ER with a "dead" arm and difficulty speaking, terrible headaches- odd tingling/ numbness... docs whizzing all around, acting like they are going to prevent a stroke by their quick action, then, they slow down, quit testing... MRI "Normal".

The times when I cannot move or feel an arm, or when I cannot walk and my husband, bless his heart, has to carry me to the bathroom... they w"get better", in other words, I do regain sensation and use eventually. But you know, it is those times that I am most at odds with FM... If I was "normal", and had that happen, I would know that i had better go straight to the ER. But I have had it happen so many times tht there is no alarming me anymore. I'm still afraid that this complacency may cause me to not seek treatment when I really should! But who wants to be the loon that runs to the ER for every hiccup?!

I have been told that these are symptoms of MS. I have no lesions on my brain, and I was told that MS with lesions on the spine only is rare... so they haven't checked. I think I may ask them to, just to be sure. My grandma had MS and I don't know the particulars, but it took years to get a correct dx, perhaps b/c it started out only on her spine.

I too have Raynaud's, and it is a vascular problem, as mentioned above, where for some reason, there are "spasms" in your vascular system. I would think that severe Raynaud's could create at least a good part of this. I am also having more nerve testing... I had lots of signifigant head injuries when I was younger. Sorry... I know it sucks, but I'm with you!

Take care,
    Laura
    [This Message was Edited on 09/24/2005]
  15. Flaming

Flaming New Member

I started having this a few years ago and was sent to a neurologist. Like most everyone here - he found nothing. I found it another waste of time. The tingling and numbness comes and goes now but not as bad as it was so I quit complaining. Good luck with yours.
  16. spmary

spmary New Member

Hi...How is the nerve conduction test done? I'm to have the test next week. Been treated for neuropathy in my feet with neurotin. Helps but I think makes me depressed. Any info is appreciated...Mary
  17. suzetal

suzetal New Member

problem.Went to a neurologist. Had a lower EMG done and low and behold I have 2 pinch nerves.

Going for upper EMG this Wed.Will find out whats next.

She is a wonderful Doctor and knows alot about FM & CFS.Very caring doctor. I have been lucky with all my Doctors .They all believe in FM & CFS and are truly trying to help me.

Sue
  18. abbylee

abbylee New Member

I'm so sorry to hear that you have this, too. This numbness and tingling doesn't go away with me - the 3-day episodes do, but I always have a certain amount of it in my hands and fingers.

After reading all of the replies, I suspect it's a pinched nerve. I've not decided whether or not to pursue it, rather, I may wait a little longer. I guess a nerve that's pinched can get unpinched on its on since it got pinched that way.

I don't know. I worried about this all night and am now tired and numb. But at least I tingle!!! LOL!!!

Thank you all so much for your help. Your information is priceless and you all always care so much. It's such an honor to be a part of this group. I've not found a better source of information or caring anywhere else.

Please feel free to add any information as you think of it. I am studying every word and hoping to figure it all out.

abbylee
    [This Message was Edited on 09/25/2005]
  19. abbylee

abbylee New Member

20. Jana1

Jana1 New Member

I also wake up with NO feeling in my fingers. I have quit thinking I have anything else wrong but fibro. It only costs money and time and frustration to think that way. My doc said if it is really bad or I just dont want to put up with it, sleep with my hands in those bandages that people with carpal tunnel use. I tried it, no more numbness, but was uncomfortable. The bandages are in a drawer, and I am just glad for the mornings I don't have the numbness.

I am so tired of living with this, good days, bad days, and never knowing. Jana

[This Message was Edited on 09/25/2005]