please help-need answer about cymbalta

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cbella, Sep 19, 2005.

1. cbella

cbella New Member

My MD was nice enough to start me on cymbalta today except---he left me a sample at my nurses station where I work, but didn't give me any instructions! It was too late for me to get in touch with him. They are 30mg capsules. Do I take it once a day or 1 two times a day? What dose do any of you that take it, have? Thanks for your help :) cbella
  2. cbella

cbella New Member

3. dunnlb

dunnlb New Member

Take one 30 mg. capsule for two to three weeks

At first, you will probably have some minor side effects, like sleeplessness and nausea. That shouldn't last but a few days.

After 2-3 weeks of 30 mg/day, go up to 60 mg./day. It shouldn't matter if you take it at night or morning.

I am going by what I did when I first started taking it. If you have been taking an antidepressant, you might want to continue taking small doses of it along with Cymbalta for a couple of weeks. I did that, and it seemed to cut down on insomnia.
  4. JLH

JLH New Member

My instructions were just like those of dunnlb.

I took one 30 mg capsule a day for 2 weeks, then upped the dose to 60 mg. However, when I took the 60 mg all at once in the morning, it made me too sleepy. So, I now take 1 30 mg. cap. in the AM and 1 30 mg. cap in the evening.

However, in order to do this, your script must be written for 30 mg capsules (& written to take 2 caps a day). Otherwise, your script will be filled with 60 mg capsules and you cannot take them like I did.

I used to take Prozac. I just cut it out one day and started the Cymbalta the next day. I don't know if you can do this will all A-D's.

Hope it helps you as much as it helps me!

Hugs,
    Janet
  5. gravitychallenged

gravitychallenged New Member

When I first started Cymbalta, I was increased at a slower rate. I started with 30 mgs for two weeks, then to 40mgs. At 40mgs, I had a bad reaction - rapid heart rate, high anxiety and too much energy. I was immediately dropped back to 30mg.

At that dose, Cymbalta has changed my life. Although I still need to make sure I get rest periods in during the day, I have energy again and my fibro pain is almost nonexistent. Instead of spending most of my day in my recliner, napping for 1-2 hours several times a day, I now only need 20-30 minute cat naps before I can get right back into a project.

I hope that you have good luck with Cymbalta and be sure that the doctor gives you all the information that you need.

GC

6. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I would call the pharmacist and discuss not only the proper dose but the side effects etc.
  7. rrsbaby

rrsbaby New Member

and ask what dosage your suppose to take. That is the best way to find out for sure.

I take 60 mg one pill every morning....

rrsbaby
  8. cbella

cbella New Member

everybody, at least that helps until I can talk to him...I've never been on an anti-depressant before, he's hoping this will help with my fibro pain. My anti-viral hasn't done anything yet and I've been on that for 4 weeks. peace :) cb