please help ! need MD accepts medicade in utah who believes in pain meds

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tialisa, Jan 2, 2011.

1. tialisa

tialisa New Member

My internist recently retired. I have had ME/FMS for 26 years. I have been on narcotics for pain relief for at least 10 years. I can not afford to pay cash for a physician at pain clinic.
    The doctors I have seen that my insurance will pay for do not believe in narcotics for pain
    relief. I am so distraught. I had some pain meds I kept in my two year supply and 72 hour kit.
    A family member who also has same illness gave me some nuycenta that she was allergic to.
    If it weren't for those factors, I don't know where I'd be. I can't just 'doctor shop'. I feel so
    scared and hopless. Most physcians act as if I am a drug addict. I have suggessted checking to see that I have gone to the same doctor and pharmacy for years. Does anyone have any ideas? My quality of life has greatly diminished and winter is making living even more impossible.
    Thanks for all your support,
  2. matwood58

matwood58 New Member

i'm not sure where you live in Utah. So many Dr.'s don't accept it anymore. Be more specific in the area and we might be able to help easier.
    matwood58
  3. matwood58

matwood58 New Member

I also live in Utah. My ineralist also left and went back to school of infectious diseases. I really miss him. I have a genetic disorder which inturn brought on the fibromyalgia. Yippee. But he would try his hardest to find info that would help him treat me with both diagnosis. Loved that Dr. Wish they were all that way. I do have an MD now that is trying to follow in the footsteps of my old Dr. but mainly is just following the protocol he set forth. Which is good because I could just be crying out in pain with no help at all. So if you are close I might could help with a name
    matwood58
  4. tialisa

tialisa New Member

Thank you to those of you who responded with great suggestions and validation. I live in
    Utah County so because of being so ill so often and lack of gas money I would rather find
    a doctor in Utah County. Having said that, I am so desperate for help that if I could find a
    good doctor anywhere in the S.L.C area I would make the sacrifice. I have IHC Medicaid.
    Has anyone found that the 'younger genration' of doctors are less compassionate overall?
    My experience has been so. They seem to have been educated that there is one protocol for
    FMS and will not try anything that may not fit that exactly. I have tried Savella, no help
    allergic to Lyrica and Cymbalta. They act as if I am crazy and this is impossible. I doubt this is
    making any sense. I am so depressed and in so much pain I feel like I've gone beyond fibro fog'
    to 'brain damage'. Thanks again.
  5. coolma

coolma New Member

If you can go online, try the "National Fibromyalgia Association". They have links all over the U.S. and you may be able to get a referral from them. Your referral may also come by contacting someone in a support group , so also enter their "support group" section and see what it brings you. I am telling you this because networking is the only way you are going to draw the right doctor to you. Network wherever you can, online, library, community care access centre, social worker,....The National Fibromyalgia Association also publishes a newsletter 4 times a year, and you can sign up for weekly newsletters online, perhaps once you get stabilized. I think networking is the best thing for you until you can find someone in your area.
    I have been through all the meds (15 years +) with fibro, and what works for me are Tylenol 3 for pain, with a oxycodiene for high pain (winter pain), a sleep aid and something to calm you down (Lorazepam). You need to get treated better and don't stop until you exhaust all your options. You are reacting very emotionally because of your frustration and your pain. Relax, and let your mind take you through every option online....our greatest asset is pulling in help wherever you can find it.
    You do need pain relief in fibro during high pain periods. Don't let anyone tell you differently. You don't have to convince anyone but a good doctor...and pray that some contact will come into your life to lead you to one. It will.
    I have family in Utah and have lived away from up in Canada here for 42 years.
    Good luck, and God Bless.
  6. matwood58

matwood58 New Member

Wrong area. I'm in eastern part of the state. Sure wished I could have helped you.
    Have a great night
    matwood 58
  7. 3gs

3gs New Member

Hi tialisa

I live in ut county. are you anywhere near the holliday area? I currently go to a semi-jerk doc but he will give meds.
    I also have IHC medicaid.

give me a more area specific idea where you are. utah county covers a huge area.
    just a ps-I have gone to nearly all pain clinics-my advice-dont go near them!
    jen
    [This Message was Edited on 01/05/2011]
  8. tialisa

tialisa New Member

Jen?
    I live in Orem. In the winter it would be especially scary & difficult to drive to Holliday, with the freeway construction. May could find friend to give me a ride. One kind soul suggested the fibromyalgia association. I can't remember what it was called exactly and I just read reply. sigh... I would be willing to try anything . since I posted my 87 year old parents whom I
    care for have had flu/colds and UTI'S . My sisters are great help, but the work and have families. Have had to start toilteting both parents in a matter of a week. I am relieved for them and myself that they are improving. My dad went to hospital and the rehab until we can find a skilled nursing facility. I HAVE BEEN IN SUCH PAIN from lifting him and all the 'nursing'. Anyway, things are getting better that way, but I feel guilty that I can't find
    a doctor who will treat me and I have nothing to feel guilty about. Can we exchange numbers
    on this site or how would I contact you to get name of your doctor?
    Thanks for listening,
    Lisa
  9. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

I have tried pain clinc's here in Logan Utah but that is in the northern end of the state. We did have a great pain doctor but due to some patients who broke the rules, went to jail for drug abuse, misuse and other charges. Stories were made up and charges were filed, he went to court twice and it really was bad for his patiients who most traveled a few hours to see him and to be treated by him.
    I had stopped going to him becuase my insurance would not pay for me to see him as he was out of network and I could not afford to pay the higher priced co-pay. I finally found a rehumy who would prescribe my MScontin for me. He will galdly reduce the doseage but will not increase it. So if my pain gets worse I am up a creek as I have reduced my dosage of meds over the years.

Most pain clininc's I have found do Not treat with pain meds. They will gladly inject your knee's other joints and send you to PT . But NO drugs.
    I like you have reacted to lyrica, most antidepressants, some narcotics , toradol, tramadol, most non narcoitic steriods like Ultram. So I stick to what I can take and try to not over do it.
    I wish I had better news for you.

I like you take care of my 83 yr old mother, I take her to the doctors, pick up scripts, take her to the store, and so light house work for her and assist when she takes a bath. She is so frail that it worrys me. MY oldest daughter and SIL live with her along with their two kids. They help her quite a bit but both work fulltime jobs and my sister baby sits for my daughter , I get NO help from my brother as he lives in Heber and tells me that because of the long drive he can't come to see her even once a month let alone help her with her house and other things. My sister will come over once a week to make Mom's bed and help with a bath too but this is done only when she has a car. So if Mom needs to see the doctor and I am in a flare it is tough luck for me.
    I hope htat you can find some one who will help you and treat your pain.
    HUGS Rosemarie
  10. coolma

coolma New Member

Can you access the doctor referral list on this site? Got through the listings and someone on the main page has kindly listed it.
    Also it is the National Fibromyalgia Association which I suggested you make a contact with... IN the U.S. they might be a good reference in some way. Even offer support online.
  11. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

Does the IHC medicad have a list of doctors who will treat you for fibro? I am on SSDI and have aarp medicare I have to make sure that any md I see is on the list. Call your IHC medicaid adn ask for a list of doctors who treat fibro, call those doctors and ask if they are willing to keep you on the same meds, dosages ect that your old doctor has you on. Don't be afarid to ask a doctor's nurse, the doctor what is he willing to do in treatments for you? Will he prescribe the same meds as your other doctor has you on? I don't know any doctors in your area I wish I could be more help. I had to find a new docotor three times now and each time I have to ask all the questions over again.
    I hope that you can find a new doctor soon , Best wishes
    Rosemarie
  12. tialisa

tialisa New Member

Rosemarie,
    I wanted to tell you of my gratitude for your reply. I am sorry you have the primary care of your Mother. It is rewarding and I wouldn't change it. I feel sometimes people think 'well she doesn't work and she has all the benefits of living with our parents so ..." My sisters live close, but work and have families. They have been incredible. But they get to leave and so
    they do have a break as well as they aren't being 'bossy' as my mother puts it because the can bring a meal, visit. take them for a ride and so they don't have any idea of the day to day care and how difficult my parents are because they become so congenial when family comes.
    I sympathize with you. My brother lives in south central Utah and he kind of inherited a big ranch through my father. He NEVER calls or comes here. Its only two and half hours, but he uses the farm as an excuse. I think it must be very difficult and he feels awkward or something
    so he just avoids it.
    I feel so sad that people who have abuse the narcotics have created a situation where folks who are responsible and need them to fuction at all have caused the doctors to be so afraid of beign sued or losing their jobs. I am blessed to have what I do that I had put in my 2 year supply, but it is dwindling fast. Let's keep in touch. My prayers for you and your Mother.Lisa
  13. tialisa

tialisa New Member

Dear Cool Ma,
    Thanks for those ideas. I didn't get much help on the National Fibro site. Seemed liek a lot of ads. Then agian I am extremlelycomputer illiterate and experiencing a great deal of fibro fog.
    Will try my local group if it sitll exits... Called O.F.F.E.R ( organization for fibro and fatigue
    I forget what the E and R stand for. Just thought of that. I was unable to attend the yearly
    conferences so I think I got remoeved from mailing list. So grateful for any and all ideas. Afraid the longer I go without regular meds any doctor who will see me will think ' well you've done this well so far, maybe you don't need them"
    My best to you and thanks agian,
    Lisa