Please help...problem with job...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by earthtomel, Jun 9, 2010.

1. earthtomel

earthtomel New Member

I just found this site. I need some help!!!
    I need some input...I work at a local radio station as a secretary.
    My workplace wants me to work 8-5 most days, but during hurricane season, they would want me to work from 11p-7a during hurricanes. This would not be permanent, but I would be working 8-5 on some days have a day off and work the 11p-7a shift. I know what a slight change in schedule does to my fibro, so I have asked to either work the 7a-3p shift or the 3p to 11p shift. No luck so far. My doctor, whom I will no longer see will not write a note to help. He says I "should ajust just like everyone else does." Problem is, I am NOT like everyone else. My pain would intensify, my fatigue would increase. I am at a loss. I am going to try to talk to my family doctor to see if she would help, but I am not sure she will. I am not trying to get out of work....I am trying to survive. I feel like I am being a whiner....I feel like I am being dismissed by co-worker and my doctor. I have been having flares ever since the weather got hot and humid. I can't do it all. Does anyone have any advice?

Thank you.
  2. shari1677

shari1677 New Member

earthtomel - I am very fortunate to work with a company who is familiar with fibromyalgia. I am also able to work from home. They allow me a 3-hour nap during my shift- anytime during my shift too. Again, I am very fortunate.

Lets rewind about 15 years ago - when I worked in a hospital. The staff there was told that "doctor's excuses are worth less than the paper they are written on". Although by law they had to accept a doctor's excuse, they would always "find a way" to take it out on you - and you didnt dare buck the system.

Is there anyway you could take a short leave of absence possibly? Not sure what would work here, but I do know how you feel - been there, done that.
  3. winsco1

winsco1 New Member

Most people don't understand the struggle we go thru with fibromyalgia. I work 12 hr shifts 3
    days a week 7p-7a. I am lucky, my boss is very understanding. I honestly don't know what I would do if she (my boss) didn't work with me and not schedule me more than 2 or 3 days in a row.

Another problem you may be having is the sudden change in weather such as during hurricane season can cause fibro flares. I live in ky and we have tornados. When the weather changes I have more problems but when it changes very suddenly and drasticly such as a tornado passing thru my muscles seem to just lock up on me and become so painful.

Sit down and talk with your family doctor and if she doesn't understand then maybe it's time to get a new family doctor that listens to you.

I wish you well,
  4. earthtomel

earthtomel New Member

I am not sure if I could take a leave of absense....The way these people are, I think they would fire me for not taking my time.
    I know what has happened in the past when my was laid off from a job that was 2:30p -11p and then started working 8-5. I had to come home and go straight to bed for a month. Did no house work, nothing. I know what this is going to do to my body.
    It is so hard to know what to do. They have me trapped.
    I am trying to find another doctor. This one is just a jerk. I know of NO fibromyagia patients that can deal with that kind of schedule change like other people.
    I appreciate your help......I am going to try to fight this.
  5. earthtomel

earthtomel New Member

Thank you Sara. I had not even thought about the weather changes bringing in more flares. I am having very bad flares now, because it was 96 degrees with high humidity today.
    I go to my family doctor I am hoping and praying she can do something.

Thank you so much!
  6. winsco1

winsco1 New Member

He tries to help but I often get lost in the shuffle of what to do when I see him. He is very good about writing excuses when I do need them but I haven't needed them very often. I have learned to do what I can, when I can at home and save what energy I have for the days I work.

My rheumatolgist has left and he has transferred me to a new doc. I don't know how this is going to work for me. I loved my last doc, he was very helpful and understanding. I see the new one for the first time in august.

I shouldn't be so hard to be shouldn't have to worry about whether or not your doctor understands your illness. Just the stress of worrying about these things brings on more pain and fatgiue.

Let me know how it goes and I hope things work out for you...

7. Honora88

Honora88 Member

Why doesn't he or she know about this and what you effort it takes day in and day out?

8. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Does your user name have something to do w/ the TV show "Alice"?

Well, whether or not, good advice from oops! already forgot the name of the
    poster. Well, what can one expect? I not only have had 25 years of brain fog, I
    am now a member in good standing of the Alzheimer's Club.

Anyhoo, back in the days when I had a functioning mind, I was a Worker's Comp
    atty. I suggest you consult one.

Worker's Comp is a state program. The law varies from state to state. Talk to
    an atty and find out what you should do to prepare now for a claim you might
    have in the future.

For example, he/she might want you to keep a diary of any discussions regarding your
    work schedule. Here in California, attorneys are not allowed to charge for a
    consultation. They can only receive a fee if they obtain an award on your behalf.
    Maxim in Calif. used to be 15%. Haven't practice for some years. I may be out
    of date.

Good luck.

9. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

Try bringing up the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) to your boss. Employers are required to make accommodations to employees with disabilities. FM is a disability. I'm not a lawyer and I don't know all of the ins-and-outs of the ADA, but it might be worth looking into.
  10. Chelz

Chelz New Member

earthtomel, I work in a hospital, the record department. There are three shifts. When I first started working there, my boss would put me on mornings, then a shift later in the day until 11:00, then the next day, back to 9:00 AM until 5:00 PM. It was simply crazy, and YES, it did take its toll on my FM body terribly.

I put up with this for a year and a half. Finally, what I did, was schedule a time with my supervisor (she is terrific), and explained to her how much more work I can get done during the 9:00 to 5:00 shift. I told her that I passed the probation time, which was 6 months, and that I have an elderly mom that I needed to be home for during the evening hours.

I never mentioned my FM to her, but eventually I would have if this strategy I came up with didn't work. Forget my doctor, he at the time, would have been absolutely no help (that is why I don't see him anymore). Your doctor telling you to "adjust like everyone else" obvioulsy doesn't really "get" FM at all.

If I were you, I would try hard for the 7a-3p shift only because you will have more time during the day to re-coup from working. I know getting up so early is hard, it is for me, but working during a night shift for a lot of FM'ers would be so difficult. Our bodies do not adjust like everyone else does, it's the nature of this awful condition and these doctors should know that by now.

Every once in a while, I get paranoid that my boss will tell me that I will have to go back to second shift and work until 10:00 or sometimes ever later, I pray often that it doesn't happen to me because I would feel the same way about this as you are feeling.

If anything, try hard not to work all those swing shifts. That is where the body just can't compensate. You are most definately not a whiner, I would have the exact same concerns as you. What I said to my boss has helped me, but I understand you may not be in the same situation as me. I pray it will work out for you. Hugs, Chelz.