Please help re: HS FM EDS Thanks

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by CarrieLynn, Sep 8, 2006.

1. CarrieLynn

CarrieLynn New Member

Hi,
    I'm very new to this board and this is only my second time posting. I was dx w/ HS a couple of yrs ago. I have frequent subluxations of both shoulders, both knees, chronic pain in muscles, headaches and more. I have a younger sister (shes 33yrs old). She was dx with FM a few years ago. Anyway, over the past week I've been doing a lot of surfing and trying to educate myself about my condition because my symptoms have been worsening. As it turns out, I don't know much! The Dr. basically dx me and sent me on my way. Well, my sister is having major problems. She was called headache Lara when she was in 3rd grade. She constantly had headaches and still does - migraines. She also has severe TMJ with a LOT of pain which causes headaches and neck pain. She also has back pain. It never occurred to us that she might have HS. My subluxations are so obvious and I was not allowed to play sports since I was 13 because of a subluxing right shoulder. Anyway - I tend to ramble. Isn't TMJ also a hypermobility issue? When she was younger she was a fantasic gymnast and so so so flexible. I didn't even think about that until tonight when I was trying to console her crying because she just feels she can't live like she is living anymore. The only support she has is me. I looked at the Brighton scale and she meets the standards for a dx of HS. So my main questions are re: the TMJ, and whether you can have HS and FM or does all the pain mainly come from the HS. Also I've been reading a lot about EDS (hypermobility type). Is EDS (hypermobility type) the same exact thing as HS? Any help would be greatly appreciated. It's getting close to midnight here and I don't know how much longer I'll be awake, but I certainly will be back in the morning to check. Thanks again!!
    Carrie
  2. kat2002

kat2002 New Member

3. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

whether a person can have hypermobility syndrome and Fibromalgia. And whether the pain comes mainly from the hypermobility syndrome.

Yes, a person can have both hypermobility syndrome and fibromyalgia. I have both. I believe there are quite a few people who visit this site who have mentioned having both.

As to the pain: I know my pain is mostly from the fibromyalgia. I've had Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome (hypermobility type) all my life, and while I did and do have pain in specific joints that are acting up due to the hypermobility -- I never before had the constant aching in the muscles that I got with the Fibromyalgia.

My fibromyalgia pain includes not only a generalized aching in the muscles, but also rock-hard muscles that I literally cannot relax and painful "stabbing" type muscle spasms. I never had these symptoms for the first 40+ years of my life -- they came with the fibromyalgia.

From your description it does sound like your sister also has a hypermobility condition. TMJ can be a hypermobility issue; the jaw can be loose just like any other joint can be loose.

Best wishes,
    Janelle