PLEASE HELP RE MUSCLE RELAXERS THAT HELP YOU SLEEP

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Bunchy, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

Can anyone who takes them tell me which muscle relaxers you use that help you sleep and that KEEP ON helping you sleep i.e. no tolerance build up?

I am maxed out on sleeping tablets etc but when I take a Soma it helps but not if I take it more than once a week as I build up tolerance to the sleep effect almost immediately.

I have heard Zanaflex doesn't cause tolerance - any input on this? What about Baclofen and others?

Please as much info as possible so I can take this to the doc with me when I next see him - thanks everyone.

Love Bunchy x
  2. poodlemommy

poodlemommy New Member

If I really need a good sleep I take flexeril. Its a prescription muscle relaxer and it knocks me out. Hope this helps
    poodlemum
  3. EgyptStarr

EgyptStarr New Member

and it works for me.... for SLEEP, anyway. I didn't care for it because it gave me leg cramps (strange as that may sound, and I'm sure it doesn't do that to everyone) and it didn't seem to help much with my tension headaches, which is why it was prescribed to me in the first place.
    BUT..... it DOES help me sleep, really! And that's what you asked. Sorry if I gave too much info there. lol

I take Baclofen now, and my dr. prescribed it because I specifically told him I wanted something that would NOT make me sleepy, and that's exactly what I got! I take 2 Baclofen a day; one in the morning and one in the evening, and they don't make me sleepy AT ALL! So if you're looking for something to help you sleep, Baclofen is not for you.

Flexeril MAY be worth looking into for you.

Hope this helps!

Hugs!
    Starr
  4. Shelbyeatenton

Shelbyeatenton New Member

I take Baclofen once a day (10mg) and it knocks me out but i also take epilepsy medication and analgesics? i think it will be a case of trial and experimentation. EVERYONES reaction to EVERY drug will be totally different. i defo think youre going about it the right way though, i was also really worried about, not only building up tolerance, but also becoming addicted, dont forget you have to consider that too! We dont need to give ourselves an added problem!! :)

Best of Luck,

Shelby x
  5. maggiemae55

maggiemae55 New Member

I take 20 30- mg depending on if I have to get up and go to work the next morning. It's still rare for me to completely sleep thru the night tho.

Warmly,
    Maggie
  6. angeljoe

angeljoe New Member

I've taken Flexeril for a while now. It use to knock me out and I'd sleep almost all night long. Now my leg pain is so horrible that I wake up from the pain several times during the night.
    Angela
  7. cats3

cats3 New Member

I take Skelaxin(metaxalone) twice a day.
    I take one at bedtime to help sleep. Only been on it a couple months. Helps with the low back pain.
    Used to take Flexeril for years but it stopped working for me.
  8. unbalanced

unbalanced New Member

I was on zanaflex for about a year, at first it knocked me out, but I did become tolerant after a few weeks & Iwas on the 4mg tabs the strongest you can get. Yesterday when I went to the pain clinic (1st visit) my doc said zanaflex doesn't work as well as some docs claim, & he put me on valium, for relaxation & sleeping. It worked wonderful lastnight!!About addiction, you only become addicted if you allow yourself to become addicted. I believe in mind over matter, people who have had past addictions should never take any narcotic meds, but if you have no history & no family history of addiction, you should be fine. Remember, mind over matter!!!

9. JLH

JLH New Member

I have taken Zanaflex for a long time. No tolerance so far. Have not had any other side effects either.

This works best for me -- I have tried dozens of things, too.

No hangover effect the next day either!
  10. getfitat40

getfitat40 New Member

I have been on Flexiril for years and it helps me sleep. I recently started seeing a new Rhuematologist and he added Elavil to my regime and changed when I take the Flexiril.

Basically I worked up to taking one 10 mg in the morning, one 10 mg pill at about 4:00 and then 75 mgs of Elavil at night. I can take an additional 10 mgs of Flexiril if needed at bedtime. I am convinced this is magic - not only do I wake up bright and cheery (no hungover feeling), but I sleep through the night most nights or I make it through at least 5 hours.
  11. lumediluna

lumediluna New Member

Hello,

or 2 - It "may" work. Can't hurt to try. What sleeping med(s) were you/are you on? I hear there is Ambian CR - takes longer to kick in, but you won't wake up at night as they say.
    Some people here swear by something called xrem(sp), for REALLY bad insomnia. I don't want to scare you, but it was known for the date rape drug GHB, however, if you have a legit/severe insomnia disorder, I hear it works as taken as instructed. I won't tried it because I was slipped that stuff in my dating days and it was a bad scene. However, I am for if it helps for legit reasons for others. Not ,y cup of tea.

I tried Zanaflex years ago and it knocked me out, couldn't function and I have a children and have be there for my sweet husband and that is the most important part of my life. I don't like toooooooo strong of meds - but what ever works YOU :)

I am on the path of eating better and taking care of my body.....trying - baby steps. Pretty busy mom with 3 kids 10 and under. You all know how it is. But lately I have noticed I feel better when I eat raw foods, spinach salades, cranberries, WAY, WAY cut back on fast food , NO MSG in diet. It takes time to adjust, but once you do, I think we can feel better - I sure have noticed a difference! Plus you loose weight as well. You feel better about your self.....but remember: baby steps.
    Great post - I wish you well and please keep us posted! Happy New Year!
  12. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

all of you for your thoughts - seems one can build tolerance to just about anything. I may try either the flexeril or the zanaflex but will stick to a soma once or twice a week and my usual dose of lunesta until I see my doc again.

Wish they would develop meds for sleep and muscles that don't build tolerance - oh well, til then hope you all sleep well :)

love Bunchy x
  13. mandy58234

mandy58234 New Member

I have always had a lot of trouble sleeping. Sometimes I can be awake for days. I now have a doctor who helps treat my pain better, and I also am on Tizanidine 4mg (Zanaflex) to to help my muscles relax. I also have a problem with myoclonus. Worse when I am really exhausted. So my doctor gives me Xanax 1 mg. to take with the Tizanidine. I am actually prescribed these meds 3xdaily, but try to take them only at night unless I really can't stand the muscle spasms. I have also been on Ambien for sleep. It didn't work well for me. Neither did Skelaxin. Somas were totally worthless to me. Don't know if you can use any of this info. or not. I hope you find the right meds. It make take a combination like mine did to help you get the sleep you need. Good Luck, Mandy
  14. concretegirl

concretegirl New Member

I take Skelaxin(metaxalone) when need, it works for me
  15. dgrubaugh

dgrubaugh New Member

I am almost embarassed because it looks like I take a lot more meds than most of you. I am actually prescribed Soma for up to 3 times a day. Ambrien CR is actually two-fold and more like Lunesta. The first part of Ambien CR dissolves quidkly to help you fall asleep and the second part is the old Ambien that helps you stay asleep. I actually take one Oxycontin and Ambien CR to sleep that way I am not wakened by pain. Good luck!
  16. jevans

jevans New Member

I used to take Trazodone but it started giving me Horrible nightmares----think it was working Too good--Putting me into deep sleep...
    Now I take 3 10mg Flexril...it is working fine for me. I also have Vicoden(btp) that I take for those nights that I am hurting very bad.