PLEASE HELP Son has 2 lumps on leg

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by gidgetsmom, Oct 4, 2006.

1. gidgetsmom

gidgetsmom New Member

My oldest son (22) has just shown me 2 large lumps on his lower right leg. No pain, no weakness, no injuries. Where the bone runs up and down these lumps run sideways and a little on the diagonal. Can anybody give me any info???
    Thanks,
    Shelley
  2. carebelle

carebelle New Member

what color are they

If they have been there for longer then a couple weeks I'd get them checked by a doctor.But dont worry yet they could be a lot of things that are not serious.
    let us know when you do.
  3. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Do get these lumps checked out by a medical professional, including xrays.

My dh has similar lumps and his are dxd as a harmless and pailes, if unsightly condition called traction osteophyte. It is caused by friction of the bones causing what in layman's terms would be called a bone spur.

However, he is 52, not a kid, so please check it out and do not worry too much as most of these lumps, no matter what. turn out to be caused by friction of stress.

Love Anne
  4. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

which you can google for more info.

My husband had two removed one from his chest and one from his front thigh. They are normally benign, as his were.

FWIW I have a bony lump on my front calf that has been there for years - it hasn't changed and I don't know what it is. I think I remember bashing it very badly when I was younger.

Get this checked by a doc - they may well turn out to be harmless lipomas.

Love Bunchy xxx
  5. gidgetsmom

gidgetsmom New Member

Thank you both for your quick reply!!

Carebelle....he says they've been there about 6 weeks, no color to them.

Anne...these seem to be in more muscle then bone, but either way I think friction would probably be a factor.

Seems my DH has similar ones too except his are much smaller.

I'm not gonna worry, but will definitely have it checked out and x rays too!!

Again, thank ya'll so much, and I'll let ya know what the dr. says!!!

Shelley
  6. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Hi:

They might be lipomas, which are fatty tumors, and are usually benign. You need to have them checked anyway.

You did not say if they were hard or soft and pliable. Are they bony, if so, could be bone spurs from an accident, or extra growth. There are so many different possibilities, most of which are not serious.

Hope you get some good news and soon.

Ingrid
  7. gidgetsmom

gidgetsmom New Member

Many thanks for your information!!!

I am rather inclined toward the lipoma idea. I really don't think they're serious because he has no pain when touched, put weight on, or the leg is moved. They seem to be firm, but not hard like bone.

My side of the family has a very strong cancer history, so naturally I'm a little paranoid!! LOL

No sense worrying until ya know you have something to be worried about tho!!

I am gonna get them checked out and will keep you up to date!!

Thank you all very much for taking the time to ease my mind!!

Shelley
  8. Marta608

Marta608 Member

They're probably nothing serious but don't go by us here; we're not doctors. Take your son to a real one and put your mind at ease.

Hugs,
    Marta
  9. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

As they seem more grissle than bone, I would also now think "lipomas". A doc exam alone may be able to rule these out,I think they do a needle aspiration with lipomas to check "content" but all growths need to be checked.

Love Anne