Please Help Suffering from Rheumatoid Arthritis!

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by ConnorsMyAngel, Apr 8, 2003.

1. ConnorsMyAngel

ConnorsMyAngel New Member

Does anyone have any advice on Medication that Wotks? I have tried different things, and currently taking steroids. All have horrible side effects. I can barely walk. My doctor gave me a few options for dmards but they come with serious side effects... ANy ADvice???
  2. danisue22

danisue22 New Member

you find some that work good for you. I've had RA since I was 25 and now I'm 59 .I was DX'ed with fbromyalgia in 1990. I've been on many drugs over the years and cannot take anything like viox or arava. I won't take predisone.At the present time I;m on methotrexate 1shot a week and I just started Enbrel.I take other meds also but this I take for thr RA. It is very frustrating until you finally find something that works.I know how it feels to be there{I can hardly walk}and it sure is'nt any fun.My heart goes out to you. Hope you are feeling better real soon. God Bless Danisue
  3. flojomo

flojomo New Member

my mum suffers too ands she has had a course of gold injections. these where not provide by the national health here in ireland, she had to go private and pay for them. the pain has eased just slightly but it has stopped the progression from getting any worse. sorry but don't know the medical name for them. when i went with her to see the consultant i asked him was there anything i could take now as way of prevention, he said you can't pick your parents so i'll get it no matter what. i've just had my mri scan results back and i already have degenerative bone problems on two of the lower discs of my spine. at the minute all i take is tramadol 400mg a day and have started using special pain patches.

sorry couldn't be more help
    maureen
  4. 3369

3369 New Member

There is a new medication, FDA approved, I believe, in December 2002 or January 2003. It is a monoclonal antibody and it is called HUMIRA. I spoke with my Rheumatologist regarding this medication and he gave me a prescription. Now here is the problem - I can't tell you how well this works, because I have not tried it yet. From my pharmacy the cost is 1,300.00 per month (two injections per month). My Insurance will not cover this medication.

I am in the process of writing anyone I can think of regarding the prohibitive cost of this medication. My rheumatoid arthritis was diagnosed 10 years ago. I do pretty well, really. I still work. I have morning stiffness, but moderate pain all of the time and severe pain and limitation of motion with flares (this doesn't help my typing or activities of daily living).

I have written Abbott Laboratories regarding this medication. They state that for Medicare receipients there is a program available to them to get this drug. For the regular working class rheumatoid arthritics I have not found a program available for us, but I will keep looking.

I hope this is valuable information to you.