Please HELP with my dog that won't stop BARKING

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kjade, May 17, 2008.

1. kjade

kjade New Member

We have 2 dogs. One is 5 yrs old, and the other is a 1 yr old Lab. The Lab is a very nice dog, very well-mannered....but he has one MAJOR issue....he does NOT stop BARKING and it is driving me insane!!

We have to chain the dogs outside, because they take off if they are not chained. We live in the country, and the roads here are 50-60 mph....they have taken off so many times, and once, the Lab was even picked up by someone and taken to the Pound. Our yard is impossible to fence in and we cannot afford an invisible fence right now. So they must be chained.

But when he is outside, he barks NON-STOP - we live on a cul-de-sac, and if anyone dares to drive down our road or (heaven forbid) walk by, he goes nuts! If he hears a bird flitting in the trees, he goes off. I am starting to think if he hears a mosquito buzzing, that sets him off as well!!

Then we have to keep them in the basement until they dry off (they have very nice beds down there, and I keep lights on for them when they are down there) and he just barks and barks......

Please, can anyone help me train him to stop this? I don't know what to do? I have never had a dog that just barks constantly like this. Any suggestions? Please?
  2. spacee

spacee Member

Are you physically able to take the dog to Obedience class.

There is one at our YMCA that is held in the room next to our yoga class. Barking seems to be one of the big issues they address.

3. ckball

ckball New Member

I hear you loud and clear as I have 2 barkers. I keep them tied up to the front porch or they stay in the house.

The road I live on only has a few house far apart and it is a shortcut to another road. My girls were born and raised here and are convinced they own it.

So after 2 years of I bought a Gaurdian electroinic collar.

It is a remote control so you really have to work with them at first. It has a beep mode which may be enough for some dogs and a adjustable shock option too from 1-5. I tried it on me first and it did hurt but felt weierd, I used my finger not my neck.

I got it a Wally's in the pet section for $100. But you do have to work with them and the book gives you exercises to do to help train the dog. I have not been fully compliant because of the yard from lleh.

They also make anti bark collars there to and I think they had the electric fence. My lot is not feneceable either and don't want a fence, but the undergroud fences are about $400. I do know a few nieghbosrs that have them and they work. I get chased everyday by someone's dog or dogs on my cart, but 2 don't and they have the fence as I asked them.

I have a 3rd dog that belongs to my nieghbor and he is Missy's brother, they don't take care of him, just throw food out on the side walk twice a day. I put the cheaper brand of flea/tick stuff on him becuase they don't he sleeps on my front porch in my big lounge chair.

All he has to do is bark at something outside and my two go into barking madness. I have to stop what I am doing and walk over to them and point and same NO BARK, several times and show them I amd the PACK LEADER.

Same thing if we are outside and Butter, that is his name, will see a squirrel or something and take off, well there mine fo to the end of there leash barking the whole time.

When I take the time to work with them, it does help, but you need consisitancy and energy.

I think they make a mouth harness he can wear to keep him from barking but not sure. That is all I can offer to you know and lots of luck. The barking drives me NUTS and having to stop what ever I am doing to go make them stop makes me crazy.

Do you walk them or give them any structured play. Labs love to play fetch, Missy would do it as along as I would do it. If you could walk them in the morning, then short play time before tieing them up it may help burn some of that energy and she won't bark so much.

Maybe someone else may have more anwers too-Carla
  4. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

Hi Kjade,

Have you ever heard of "debarking" a dog? Most people think it's unkind or would do psychological damage to a dog, but apparently they don't know the difference.

I think it's a fairly simple procedure that reduces the bark volume by about 90%. I've heard a dog bark that had this done, and it sure didn't seem to know it was no longer the baddest barker on the block. Cuz it acted like it still was! :)

Good luck.

5. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

Kjade, I got my lab a bark collar. I tested it on my own neck first. It's not a painful shock, it's just startling. I put this on my dog one night. I heard a bark or two, then silence. The next night I didn't need it. The following night I had to put it on her once more. Since then, all I have to do is go to the door and show her the collar, and she clams right up. I put it up against the glass door so it makes the beep sound, and she knows and remembers it.

Now I have a second dog with a barking problem. I need to go get a new battery and put the collar on her for a night or two.

I got my collar at PetSmart for around $40-$50. it was one of the cheapest ones they had. I think this is it:

You have to take their regular collar and tags off, so they don't hit against it and make it shock them for no reason. You COULD leave it on them all the time, but in my case, it wasn't necessary. Just the threat of it keeps her in line now.
  6. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

There are several different types of bark collars and I think the water one works well on the ones the shock one doesn't. I was like you, I tried it though on my husband first, not me (LOL). Also there is one that whistles.

Psychologically, often dogs bark because they are being separated from you, who they are meant to guard. Often dogs will not bark when they can see you, either through a baby gate or whatever. Sometimes there is an elctric noise only the dogs can hear that makes them bark too, so check for lights that may be doing that.

Outdoor dogs are barking as that is their "job" they are warding off stuff to protect you.

You would think they would get a sore throat!

Love Annie
  7. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

How often is he chained outside? Is he left out there? Maybe he does have separation issues and doesn't like being out there? Is he bored?
    Some dogs are more people oriented and don't like to be left - even if they have a friend w/ them (another dog). Our neighbors had a dog like that (oh yes we heard him!) He quickly turned into an 'inside' dog.

It's pretty hard to train a dog when they're outside. I think you'd have to train him inside first. Does he spend time inside w/you with the family? Does he bark then? If he does- that's when I'd start the training.
    My Mom's dog barks when she wants something and it can be very annoying. We started turning our back to her. Only when she stopped barking would we turn back around. Amazing. Yelling "No" simply doesn't work. They are still getting your attention.

Have no experience with the dog collars. De-barking? oooh sounds not right, but I shouldn't impose my opinions.

Have you googled?
  8. foggyfroggy

foggyfroggy Guest

Bark just to hear their heads rattle I think! Or as Dave Barry says; because a dog in China barked LOL!

We have a dog who is inclined to bark at anything and nothing. She hates loud noises though so we put 10 or 15 pennies in a clean pop can and rattle it very loudly when we say QUIET! She pretty soon figured out what quiet meant and then we give her lots of praise when she sees a cat or some such huge bark trigger and DOESN'T bark at it. Then she feels all proud. It's pretty funny that she sometimes barks really quietly with her mouth shut now - it's like she can't help herself but she knows not to let it out! We tell her she's a good girl when she does that too (while we're laughing at her LOL!). We still keep rattle cans around at strategic placed though, so if she goes off at the neigbors or some random thing all we have to do is pick one up and she shuts right up.

Oh yeah, we also tell her she's good when she barks when a car turns into the drive, so she knows exactly what and where she should guard.

9. joyfully

joyfully New Member

1> How often do you walk her on a leash? He sounds as if he needs exercise.

2. have you attempted using a squirt bottle full of water when he is barking. Either aim at the face, or aim at his bottom. This works with my Rudy.
  10. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

Two options, electronic color or clip vocal cords. It is like bandaid surgery for them. A lot of people do not realize that this is done with high energy show dogs. It is a no no to bark at the judge and so this is done.

It really is not that inhumane, it does not hurt them much to have it done, and sure saves a lot of headaches.

I have a very high strung Mini Pinscher and have thought of doing it with her. She is driving me crazy. I talked to several show people with Min Pins and they call it "Taking the whine out of the dog."
    [This Message was Edited on 05/19/2008]
  11. kjade

kjade New Member

Thank you all so much for such excellent advice and some great tips!! I went to Petsmart the other night, and they did not have the collars there – I was going to try that, but wasn’t sure if it was really cruel or not. The only thing Petsmart had was these mesh muzzles, and I just figured that would not work for him.

When they are chained outside, it is only for a short time. We do get them as much exercise as possible, but unfortunately we aren’t home during the day. I never thought that he may have separation anxiety, but he doesn’t bark if we are outside with him, so that makes sense.

I’m hoping that this is a phase that will pass soon, as he is only 1 yr old, and still has many behaviors of a puppy. I do want him to bark at strangers though (my other dog is worthless as a watch dog – he would probably let a burglar pet him, then do tricks for him!) – I just wish he would relax if they are obviously not coming anywhere near our home.

I think I’m going to try some of these ideas of all of yours! Thank you so much!
  12. joyfully

joyfully New Member

When I pick up the squirt bottle now, Rudy tries to calm himself. I tell him, "quiet, gentle".

If he stops barking , I reward him with a treat and tell him, "good boy, quiet gentle".

Once in awhile, I still have to give him a squirt of water when he starts barking out of control at squirrels, cats, or other dogs walking by my home.

I give him the opportunity to quiet down by saying his name and shaking the squirt bottle. i think of it as the 1,2,3 count that you give your toddlers before disciplining them.
  13. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I recommend the collar. Most dogs can be corrected a few times with the collar and you may never need it again.

My sister is currently training two obedience dogs and one agility dog (one actually does obedience, rally and agility!). Her 8 year old lab was unhappy because she was in the van watching while her sisters were out for practice in the obedience ring. She used another trainers collar and then they couldn't get her to bark so they could use it! The lab has worn the collar a couple times when working on of-leash obedience where she has a tendancy to go sniffing. She is already wise to it's use and responded very well to it.

One of the things the collar does it to keep the dog from knowing you have anything to do with the correction. They simply know that the behaviour causes discomfort and when they stop doing it the discomfort goes away. Start with the lowest "volume" the collar has and see where it needs to be to get the desired result. I'm talking about the kind of collar that you control with a remote, not one that shocks each time the dog barks. See if you can borrow one, maybe check with your local AKC chapter or local trainers.

I don't, and would never never, recommend "debarking" a dog. Not because of any "psycological" problem but because I believe it is an unnecessary surgery used simply for our convenience instead of finding the reason for the problem and working to correct it. Not a good enough reason to risk my dog's life in surgery. I feel the same way about docking tails and ears and removing dew claws. I consider spaying/neutering as necessary.

Even after the debarking surgery the dog can still make enough noise to bother the neighbors. My dive instructor, years ago, had his Afghans debarked. After that they made a horrible gasping noise that was still quite loud. The neighbors still complained and he eventually gave the dogs to some one who kept them in the house instead of tied or kenneled outside.

My dogs are always inside unless we take them out with us. They bark, after all, they are dogs! My husband yells at them which the dogs see as him joining in and agreeing we should all be barking! I go to the window and ask them what we are barking at, pat their little fuzzy heads and tell them, quietly, that I think we are now safe from the neighbor's viscious kitten!

Good luck