Please help worst flare ever

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by angeljoe, Nov 14, 2005.

1. angeljoe

angeljoe New Member

I have been dealing with fibro and chronic fatigue for thirteen months. The week before last I saw my doctor, My hypothyroidism was extremely low. (Hypothyroidism for 15 years) A nurse from called and raise my synthroid three doses. I started my new dose on Tuesday. By Wednesday I was miserable. My muscles hurt all over. Lifting my arm just to brush my teeth is a problematic job. I have researched this disorder but I can't understand why flare ups are so violent and intense. I rarely ever have a completely pain free day but I manage to take care of my children. For six days now I have been inadequate as a mother, wife and a friend. I am at a point in my life where I just can't take this unhappy consequence of a disorder anymore. The fatigue is hard but I can manage it most of the time. I take cymbalta for my fibro and depression. On a daily basis I take 12-16 different kinds of prescriptions for pain, fatigue and depression. I am starting to give up because I just can't see getting up in the morning in so much pain. How do I cope with this? Someone please give me any and all advice you can. Thanks so much in advance.
    Angela
    [This Message was Edited on 11/15/2005]
  2. onnaroll

onnaroll New Member

im so sry your hurting that much. wow 12 to 16 pills a day for pain? thats alot! um where do you hurt the most? i for one have one spot in my middle back that stings and burns.(ALSO REALLY BAD RIB CAGE PAIN) what i would do is use moist warm heat and then alternate to ice. IM having a bad flare to night also , cant stand these pains in my arms squeezing(PINS AND NEEDLES). good luck hope you feeling better soon .
  3. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Many of us here have felt like you do more times than we would like to admit.

I think in terms of taking one day at a time. One thing that helps is journaling. It helps me to remember and focus on my blessings each day.

Make a list of all the good things in your life. Good things about you, and your life.

Keep working on that list and read it over each day.

Next, make a determination to find a doctor who will help you. You may need more treatment aimed at eliminating your pain. Suffering day in and out with pain really diminishes the quality of your life.

If you keep looking, you will eventually find a doctor who understands and treats your pain.

Keep coming here every single day and sharing.

[This Message was Edited on 11/14/2005]
  4. lease79

lease79 New Member

Currently in a terrible flare myself :(
    I'm 26, have 4 children & have had this dd (both cfs & fms) since my early teens. I have constant pains & aches, but it's times like these when I flare up bad that I remember what pain really is :(
    I remember what it was like when the flares had me in bed sometimes for weeks or even months & one would end & another would seem to start.
    I never knew either how I was going to get through, but somehow I did, like everyone else here, & now thankfully there are good days too. True, I am in pain most days, but at least it is to a degree bareable if I stick to my limits.
    Learning to live within my limits was the hardest thing that I have ever had to do. For years I pushed & pushed, only to come crashing down. I was an extremely active person, & stopping all that took years of 'crashing' before I had to give in & slow down.
    I can nolonger do alot that I used to & I have had to give up all my sport, can't drive distances etc.. But sticking to these limits means that I have less pain, alot less pain, & the flare ups are nowhere near as severe. If I push myself then I am liable to get sick again. I now do dru yoga, walk (when I can,) & gentle stretching.
    It's hard to ask for help with little kids, & I am an extremely proud person, but these days my husband has to get the kids up, get them ready, dress them, feed them & then all I have to do is lug my butt out of bed to get them to school on time. Likewise in the afternoon I have to get them from kindy & school. Doesn't sound like much, but it takes alot out of me to do it. It's the only way we can function as a family & I really appreciate that he does it.
    ~*Gentle Hugs*~ hun, you'll get there, just be gentle to yourself.
  5. petsrme

petsrme Member

Angel I just wanted to let you know I am so sorry you are in such pain. I wish I could help you copy. Just please know that we are here for you and many of us have the same feelings at time. I hope you will find at least a little relief soon. Keep us up to date on how you are. Sometimes it helps just to share.

PS I am supposed to be taking about the same amount of meds as you. I have had to cut out some because of money, but I understand your situation. My meds are for arthritis, lupus, depression, muscle spasms, high blood pressure, swelling, etc. I take the ones I have to have though such as bp and lupus and depression. I wouldn't make it without them. I just wanted to add this because I know how it can add up to taking up to 16 a day with a lot of different issues. It is not unusual at all. My docs don't prescribe me pain meds so if they did that would add even more to my list.
  6. angeljoe

angeljoe New Member

It's sad that we all feel so poor most of the time. The nice thing is that we do all understand each other. I have many times said that with cancer and other serious illnesses people can see our pain. This disorder is blind to everyone but the person dealing with it. My kids and husband see that I am miserable sometimes, but I try to hide when there is pain I can manage with muscle relaxers and pain meds. Flare ups are harder for me because it gets so bad I can't be the Mother and wife I expect myself to be. My depression gets enormous with flares. My problem is my husband thinks I am a hypochondriac. So, He doens't have compassion when my fibro is flaring. I have had serious health problems since April 04. The first thing happend in April, I fell down a flight of stairs and broke my two of my ribs. I was carring my 2 year old daughter and she was bruised up, but no broken bones thank God! I was on temporary disability for six weeks healing from my fall. Then in late July 04 I tore out my right elbow. I had surgery on my elbow, and was out 2 weeks again on temp. disability. I have extensive therapy for over a year, but elbow is still mess up. In Oct 04 I started showing signs of fibro (I felt like I had the flu). After three weeks of being miserable I went to the doctor. My attendance at work became just awful because I couldn't stand on my legs for long periods of time. I work on concrete for 8 - 10 hours a night. After getting off work between 1:30am and 3:30am, I would have to get my son up for school at 6:30am. I would have to wake my 2 year old up to drive my son to his bus stop. So, basically getting 2-3 hours sleep I would have to stay up until my toddler would take a nap I would get about an hour and a half to two hours more. Then back to work at 5pm. My doctor beleives that my fall and not getting adequate sleep brought on my fibro. Back to me being a hypocondriac, I had kidney surgery in August 05 and again in Sept 05. Now its November and I have recently had an urethral stint put in my kidney and bladder. So I have been on temporary disability since July 25th. My husband thinks I'm just lazy when I bring up chronic fatigue syndrom. He believes Fibro is a fabricated disorder constructed by pharmaceutical companies. He drives me crazy with this because I have purchased books on fibro, and researched fibro and cfs online and made him read it all. I am usually a very healthy person with lots of energy, but this past two years have threw my whole life out of control. I know if my husband understood fibro he would help me out more with the kids and everything else. I just wished he would see this is REAL. I am almost at a point of of misery because I can't do this anymore. Muchless fight about it with my hubby. I live in melancholy and suffering, but the worse part is I'm all alone with it. I would wish all of this away for each of us if I could. May God bless you all! Its our misfortune we were doomed with something called fibromyalgia. Thanks again for responding.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/15/2005]
  7. kimfibro

kimfibro New Member

it's difficult, yes, but we all know that with love, support and hope we make it through every time!! get yourself out. maybe a walk alone or with someone. get fresh air, look at the sky. and when it feels too tough to handle remember we are all here and we have all pushed thru a tough day and even later smiled about that fact!!!!! :)
  8. Yucca13

Yucca13 Member

Another person here who knows what the depression and intense pain of a flare feels like.

Please be patient with yourself. If you usually demand a lot of yourself, let the things go that aren't absolutely necessary and lighten your load.

I also think that you should have pain medication, so I would keep looking for a doctor that understands fibro enough to prescribe something adequate for you.

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers and hope you feel much better very soon.

Hugs,
    Val