Please Help!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by michele78, Jun 6, 2003.

1. michele78

michele78 New Member

I am 24 years old and have recently been experiencing severe leg pain. It began about 7 months ago with pain in my right knee. It went away after one month, but then the pain came back a few months later and was in both knees. The pain always starts in my knees, and then the pain radiates up into my thighs (feels like it's in the muscles). Both legs hurt, but the right leg is definitely worse. The other day, for the first time, the pain radiated down into my calves and into my right ankle. That same night, I woke up around 3 a.m. with extreme back pain (the muscles felt very tight). It does help when I massage my thigh muscles.

I also suffer from TMJ (have for about 3 years now).

Do you think this is FM? I have NO medical insurance right now...would a "free clinic" be able to help me?

Thanks for any advice/opinions!!!
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Welcome to our board.

It's hard to say whether a clinic could help but it wouldn't hurt to give it a try. If you read many of the post here, you will find that a large portion of us do not get much help from our docs. Those of us who have gotten better have pretty much done our own research and presented it to our docs to prescribe treatment.

Good luck, and learn all you can about our illnesses. I would have it checked out as it might be something else entirely.

Love, Mikie
  3. michele78

michele78 New Member

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies.

I did not have any dental work prior to being diagnosed with TMJ. I had an acrylic splint made and I wear it every night (have for past 18 months). It has helped tremendously. My oral surgeon assumed that I clenched my teeth when stressed, and grinded my teeth when sleeping (although my dentist since childhood never noticed any wear on my teeth...)

I saw some posts on TMJ and dental problems, so I was just wondering if it could be related to FM.

Do you guys think my pain sounds like FM? Also, my stomach has been cramping up over the last few days, but that may be completely unrelated.

My pain has mainly been in my legs (from hips to ankles) but to be diagnosed as FM, doesn't the pain have to be above and below the waist, consistently? I just have no idea what else it might be...my mom thinks a pinched nerve or torn ligaments/tendons- but in BOTH legs??? I don't think so!
  4. bwoodruff

bwoodruff New Member

Your knee pain sounds familiar! I've had diagnosed FM for 7 years (TMJ for 16 years!) but suspect I've had it longer than that. Sometimes I will wake up in the night with my legs aching so badly that I just want to cry.

FM is funny because it's diagnosed by ruling out everything else and it effects everyone differently. Yes, the textbook definition has the 18 trigger points and pain in upper and lower quadrants, blah, blah, blah, however since it does hit everyone to different degrees, its tough to determine.

You are having other symptoms that sound remarkably familiar to me. You might check the Doctor Referral tab at the top of the page for someone in your area - give them a call and just find out what they charge for a visit. The "free clinic" may or may not be able to help you - you're going to be talking to people that are used to giving pregnancy tests and treating people with colds and broken limbs, etc., not necessarily an illness like FMS. I could be wrong, but I'd check into other sources first and see if there is another alternative.

Good luck to you, I hope you are feeling better soon!

B.
  5. kmelodyg

kmelodyg New Member

I also have extreme leg pain. My pain started in my lower back and spread out from there. I would recommend seeing a doc. You may have disk problems in your back that are causing your leg pain. Good luck!

Kathryn
  6. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Michele, welcome to the board. Sorry you are experiencing all that pain, and do hope you find it is caused by something other than FM.

Take care, and again welcome to the board.

Shalom,Shirl
  7. 2girls

2girls New Member

Since FMS is a diagnosis based on elimination, it is very important to see a doc regularly to rule out other medical diseases/problems. It takes a while to get a diagnosis - basically when they can not "find" anything, FM is suspected. The symptoms you mention certainly do pertain to FMS though.

2girls
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I was grinding my teeth at night and suffering TMJ-type pain. Since being on the Klonopin, this has stopped.

Love, Mikie
  9. michele78

michele78 New Member

Thanks everyone for all the replies.

One thing I forgot to mention is that they pain seems to start when I have been sitting for a certain period of time (1-2 hours). I find this to be pretty odd, because I would think the pain would come when I was active (like from aggrevating the problem).

Until I can find a doctor (and some money) does anyone have any advice of things I should do (and should not do) that will help with the pain. I'm not real big on medicine (I took enough of it when my jaw was real bad!) so any kinds of exercises, vitamins, etc. would be great!