Please, I need some advice!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kmelodyg, Mar 15, 2003.

1. kmelodyg

kmelodyg New Member

Hi everybody! I'm new to this, so bear with me. I have recently found out that I may have fibromyalgia. I am 25 years old and have been living with chronic pelvic pain since I was 18 years old. In the past year, it has developed into extreme chronic back and knee pain, as well as random parts around my body. I am exhausted all of the time, have headaches, trouble sleeping, going to the bathroom, have TMJ, I'm depressed, and have panic attacks (which make me a little agorophobic). I lost my job back in October because I had to take so much time off because if my aches and pains. So, I have been seeing my family doctor without any insurance! As you can imagine, it's been quite distressing and expensive. Luckily I have had my unemployment checks that help pay for everything. I have had many doctors who were not quite sure what was wrong with me. And after doing some research on my symptoms, I went to my doctor last week with the idea that it probably is fibromyalgia. All signs point to that anyway. My mother has this disease as well. So, I have been going to a chiropractor, a message therapist, and have been given Ultram, Amitriptaline, Vioxx, Flexeril, and Norflex. None of which has really done much good with the pain. I am very concerned because on April 1st, my unemployment checks will stop coming. I have been on a couple of interviews and am waiting to hear back from them. But if and when I do get a job, I'm going to have a really hard time going everyday. Am I just setting myself up to get fired again?? Should I try to get disability insurance? It seems so strange to do that when I am only 25!! I need to get some kind of government medical assistance but I am currently making too much money from the unemployment! My doctor has been trying out so many different drugs on me and they are all so expensive! The Norflex didn't even work at all and it cost me $70!! I'm really very scared and I don't know what to do. If anyone can offer any advice, I would REALLY appreciate it. HELP!!!!
  2. teawah

teawah New Member

I am sorry for the things you are going through. I was about that age when I was diagnosed and it really put a dent in the hopes and dreams that I had for my life. I couldn't hold a job more than 4 mos and then my body crashed and I had to quit. I was never able to be a reliable employee. I had to go to the state and ask for help. I was raising my two boys alone without support from their father and so I went on full blown welfare. It was very humiliating but that's what it is there for. I think I felt worse about it than other people judged me for it. If I had had any other option I would never have done it. BUT, you do what you have to to survive and get the help that you need. The beginning for me was welfare and then they helped me apply for SSI and supported me until I got it. My kids have since gone to live with their father so he can give them the man's influence in their lives (both boys) and because my health makes me a pretty poor mom. I guess my point is that you do what you've got to do. Only you can decide whether you can be an asset to an employer. Only you candecide whether your body can handle it. Don't let other people make this life decision for you. Listen to your gut. Can you work? Only you can decide.
    Keep on Keepin' on. And keep coming back. teawah
  3. Nellie2

Nellie2 New Member

Hello,

It sounds to me that a blood test would be in order to determine if you have any thing that shows up there first. I would also get a gynelogical check up, as the pelvic pain might me endometriosis which caused me horrible pelvic pain as well as back pain. What did your Dr. say about it being fibromyalgia? If the pain is not slowing down with those meds I don't know what to tell you other than to keep a journal of your pain and the meds. I would try to get a job anyway so that youknow you will have a place to live and food on the table. You are young to be going through all this. I don't even know what Norflex is so I can help you with that question. Vioxx and Celebrex are the meds that have helped my joint pain. Did your doctor offer you a sleep medication? That has made a huge difference for me. Just getting solid night of sleep helps me. Can your doctor give you samples of any of these medications?

I'm willing to "brainstorm" with you to give you other ideas to toss around. I just got diagnosed in November last year so I am not an expert. Feel free to email me if you would like to. lucyrudy@kaycee.net

Good luck,

Kathleen
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi, welcome to the board. It sure sounds like you have FM, but you will need a doctors diagnosis to apply for disability.

It sure is hard to have this illness if this is what you have, at your age. I really don't know what to tell you.

I have Fibro, and it is difficult to say the least to live from day to day, without making any plans, but wait till you wake up and see how you feel!

Maybe some of the others will have some advice to share with you.

Again, welcome to the board.

Shalom, Shirl
  5. kmelodyg

kmelodyg New Member

Thanks guys for your words of wisdom! I was screened for endometriosis 2 years ago by laproscopic surgery. There was no sign of it. She said there may be endometriosis in a "microscopic form". Whatever... I think that I may try and see if my doctor can help me get disabilty. Every month this thing is getting worse and worse. I just know that realistically I will not be able to hold down a 40 hour per week job. Thinking about sitting in a desk that long really worries me! Luckilly I have a boyfriend who has said that he will support me financially if push came to shove. If anyone has applied for disablity or has any other advice, can you e-mail me? My address is kmelodyg@yahoo.com. Thanks again!!!
  6. littlecheryl

littlecheryl New Member

it's not easy when your young with this stuff i was 27 when diagnosed and had a 5 and 2 year old at the time. It was a big blow to my ego to go on disability but i knew that ihad to take care of myself and my family. Do what ever you feel is best for you. If you ever need to talk, I'm usually floating around at sometime or another in the chat room. take care and see if doc will give you a small prescription of meds to see if it works that way you don't get stuck with a lot of something you can't use. or ask the pharmacist to fill just part of the prescription until you see if it will help. Good luck!!!!!!!!
    Love, littlecheryl