PLEASE Info on Gastric Bypass especially while having Fibro

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lil_angel1198, Apr 1, 2007.

1. lil_angel1198

lil_angel1198 New Member

I asked about this before and some responded and said if I wanted more info to ask. Well, I asked in the same thread and no more replies to it.
    I really need info on this...please, please, please!!!

Is it me or something? I feel like sometimes there are only certain people on this board who get their threads answered. I'm not trying to seek attention from others, I just need information so I can be sure I make the right decision.

My husband is willing to support me on having the surgery done, but I am really scared. I just want to be informed by those who have had it or know someone who has had it.
    Can someone help me?
  2. lil_angel1198

lil_angel1198 New Member

to top...I really need answers
  3. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

I replied that I had the Lap Band a year ago this past March.

There are many similarities between the 2.

My father, 2 uncles and an aunt all had the bypass years ago, so I know quite a bit about that...although not from experience unfortunatly.

Im not sure If it was me that you tried posting to...I know that you had a few people respond...but I try to come on everyday...its just hard with the pain...sorry.

Ill help you with anything I can.

Hugs,
    Steph
  4. budmickl

budmickl New Member

I don't have FM but I had the surgery 4 yrs ago. I had absolutely wonderful results. I had no problems with the surgery or the recovery. I lost close to 130 lbs. One thing I didn't do and now I wish I had, is to start excerising as soon as the weight starting coming off. That said, it is not a cure for what has made you overweight. In my case, it is depression. I am now a thinner person who is depressed instead of a heavy set person who is depressed.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

budmickl
  5. minkanyrose

minkanyrose New Member

but i know a few normals who have had it did well hope you find the answer you are looking for. I don't answer many post because I don't have answers, I do read a lot of post that help me.

It's not you personally that people don't answer it is the subject when not many don't have experience with it they may read and not post don't take it personally.

bumping for you.
  6. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

People who have the gastric bypass have trouble absorbing vitamins, nutrients, and minerals.

Besides the fact that one is TEN TIMES MORE LIKELY TO HAVE VERY SERIOUS COMPLICATIONS AND EVEN DEATH WITH THE BYPASS over the banding.

I intend to have the banding, and as a medical person, I dont' think I could suggest the bypass to anyone who didn't weight 500 pounds.
  7. lil_angel1198

lil_angel1198 New Member

StephieBee, can you please tell me your experiences with the band and your family's experience with GB?

Also, others who have experience with either of them, thanks for replies and please give me your experiences with it.

I was reading about the band and I almost think I might prefer that to the GB, any help would be appreciated.
  8. Chinlover

Chinlover New Member

I had Gastric Bypass. It will be one year ago April 25. I have lost so much weight. I look beautiful again like I did when I was in my 20's-just a little older of course. My husband and my family, ( Kids, parents, brother) are thrilled for me. Now, I was just diagnosed with Fibro about a month ago. My rheumatologist said she thought I had probably had Fibro for awhile, but had compensated somehow. I don't remember pain before, but I did have depression, anxiety, fatigue and memory problems. Anyway, I only have one regret about Gastric Bypass and that is that I did not have it sooner. Check out Obesityhelp.com. That is the most informative website you can find on weight loss surgeries. It took me a year to decide and most of the info I got, I ran by the people on Obestiyhelp.com. I pray you make the best decision for you and your overall health. Chinlover
  9. lil_angel1198

lil_angel1198 New Member

I just joined the message board there. It seems to be a good place to be.

The more I learn about it and see how quickly everyone is losing, the more I think I might want to do it. I've been heavy my whole life, and once I gained any amount I could never lose it.
    I have a sister who is 98 lbs and is shorter than me. My goal weight is supposed to be 118 :O shock! I can imagine I would look like my sister and man I would actually cry if I could get that thin!!! I just know it would change my whole life.
  10. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

Havent been feeling too well today...but i did come looking for your post.

Ive lost 50 lbs since I got the LB...and this is all despite a setback from sciatica, not being able to exercise and a whole lot more. It is by far the best thing I ever did for myself.

My father and his siblings had their GB all over 2 years ago. Back then, our surgeon (we all have the same surgeon) did not offer the LB, plus my aunt had some bad health problems and one of my uncles was well over 500 lbs so the doc thought he needed to loose the weight right away. Today they have all atleast lost 100 lbs. my aunt and 1 uncle have gotten plastics so they look like they have lost more, but they all look great and they are healthy.

The website Chinlover gave you is one that I used quite often. It is the largest bariatric website (I believe) on the web. So it is a great place to get info and references.

As far as the GB vs LB goes there are definatly differences. Too many to get into right now...but ill give you some of the big ones. The LB is geared more towards volume eaters. We dont malabsorb anything...GB patients malabsorb 20% of everything and anything they take in...good or bad. If your problem isnt eating too much, the LB may not help. The GB can cause you to "dump" on high sugar. high fat foods and you also malabsorb 20 % of everything so volume isnt as big of an issue.

The surgery is alot shorter with the lapband and so is the stay. Some surgeons let you home the same day, some let you home the next day, An average stay after the GB is around 3-4 if you are doing well. Im not sure about Laporascopic GB though....my surgeon only does open, but i believe that it is 3-4 days also. But the healing would be faster.

The LB requires more "upkeep" as far as going to the doctor's for fills, where a saline solution is injected into the port that was surgically placed right under your skin. It is done with a long needle and doesnt hurt at all. It tightens the band making the food "drip" slower from your pouch into your stomach, keeping you fuller longer.

I do not feel like im on a diet by no means...i feel like a normal human that just eats much less than the average person. As you start to talk to people on chats, like I did, you will see that life after the surgery is normal, even though it seems as though it may not be.

To be honest with you...the 2 week liquid diet that my surgeon made me do...(he requires all pateints to do a 2-3 week liquid diet before surgery to reduce the fat around the liver), I truely believe that was worse that the actual surgery and recovery. Id rather go thru surgery and recovery again than the diet!

I was out of work for 1 week and my pain was mostly due to the gas that they blow your abdomen up with so they can see inside well. They try to get most out...but they rarely ever do. But they give you liquid pain meds in the hospital to take care of it. I was very well taken care of.

I hope this answered most of your questions. If you can think of anything else...feel free to ask again. If I dont answer...you can always start a thread with my name as the title so ill notice it!

Hugs,
    Steph
  11. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

One big thing is that with the lap bad you lose the weight much slower that GB. With the GB you lose the weight very rapidly and you may reach your goal weight in less than a year out of surgery. But by the 2 year mark, the people that didnt learn to conform to eating healthy will start to gain it back.

With the LB it takes a little more like 2 years or a little more to lose the weight...some even 3. This is because there is no malabsorbtion...and the people who tend to gain after being 2 or so years post of from the GB are the ones who relied on the malabsorbtion and the "dumping" to get them down to their goal weight despite eating junk.

Malabsorbtion and dumping is not part a "plus" to the GB, although many may argue that it is for some reason. With the LB, you do not and cannot experience either of these.
  12. JLH

JLH New Member

My trouble is not the quantity of food that I eat, but the type of food that I eat. I love pastries, chocolate, and ice cream. I would love to get the LB, but I'm afraid that it won't solve my problem. What do you think?
  13. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

Hi jih...

The Lap Band is designed to keep you full on foods like leans meats. You are suppose to eat 3 well balanced meals a day...none of the no carb diets anymore...we eat mostly lean meats, a decent amount of good veggies and a small amount of starches.

Foods like chips, candy, ice cream etc, unfortunatly go right thru the band, The purpose is to keep the food in the pouch as long as possible, thus keeping you full for a long time. Junk foods tend not to be as dense so they just slip right thru the stoma, which is the small opening that is created by tightening the band thru fills. When the food slips thru the stoma, you never get the full feeling because the food never fiils the pouch and never reaches the "sensors" that are located at the top of the stomach.

So usually a baratric surgeon would recommend a different surgery such as GB because of the malabsorbsion and the dumping. But I know many LB patients who have been successful that were sweet eaters....heck...I was a sweet eater and I still am...just in moderation now!

But if sweets are your WHOLE problem, then the LB may not be the best choice. Its best to talk it over with a doctor though.

Hope this helps some!

Hugs,
    Steph
  14. lil_angel1198

lil_angel1198 New Member

That helped a lot!!
  15. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

I had a very distal (read: drastic) by pass in 2005. In addition to having a smaller "pouch" I absorb very little fat, vitamins from food, and protein from food. I had a less drastic one in 2002, but regained all the weight.

I DID NOT DO WHAT I WAS SUPPOSE TO!!! You have to supplement with protein and vitamins and be very committed to it. My recent 15 days in the hospital (read the post: I'm back)had a lot to do with malnutrition. I lost weight so fast that I became anorexic... seriously! I have just bone sticking out from my skin. It is not pretty, it is not healthy, and YES, it affects my fibro. If I had kept my health up like I was suppose to it might not have been so bad. Heck, I don't even have any boobs anymore and I look like I've been in a concentration camp.

Why am I telling you all of this? Because I don't want you to make the mistakes that I did. There are some very good gastric by-pass groups on Yahoo. You can learn a lot. You MUST learn all you can. Good for you for asking! The most important thing is to stay healthy throughout your transformation.

Oh, and make sure your surgeon has a good aftercare program. It's imperative.

Frankly, if I had it to do over again, I would go with the Band.
    Tigger