Please Keep Your Titles Short...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Jun 23, 2003.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

And to the point. I have asked so many times that we keep our titles short, but members continue to use long titles which take up two lines. Our board is very busy and when one post takes two lines in the title, it causes someone else's post to roll over to Page 2 prematurely.

We really need your help with this and I appreciate your efforts so that all our members can get their questions answered before their posts roll over.

Also, specific titles will ensure that members get more responses. Titles such as, "Anyone Else Have This Problem?" or "New Symptom" are often just passed over by people who are too busy to read every post.

Keeping Titles short and to the point will help us all and I appreciate your cooperation. Thank you.

Love, Mikie
  2. paula45

paula45 New Member

Thanks Mikie for posting this AGAIN. And I've been wondering, what's up with the short titles that take up two lines?
    Paula
  3. paula45

paula45 New Member

Bumping back up....

Paula
  4. Lynda B.

Lynda B. New Member

I hope most are getting the hint. I'm there for ya. I even make sure my titles stay one line and change them if they are not. On the other hand, the short ones drive me nuts too if it says nothing about the post like "Need help with..." or "Anyone ever tried..."--Yikes.

I'm being a little silly here for those who don't know me. A nice, concise title that relays the context of the post is what we are looking for. I get it.

Thanks, Mikie (-:

Lynda B.
  5. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Shalom, Shirl
  6. Shirl

Shirl New Member

If you all would just give what Mikie is asking you to do a little thought , you would probably try to abide by this.

I have sat here for 10pm tonight, and its now 2:30am in the morning, just going over posts that have been pushed to the THIRD page with either no answers or just one reply because of the selfishness, hardheadnessess or whatever the heck you want to call this.

Please keep the titles to ONE LINE ONLY! It is so unfair to the others who are having their posts pushed so far back no one is answering them.

You all, who insist on making those long unnecessary titles to your posts are not being fair at all.

There are other people here who deserve a little consideration, not to mention Mikie and I who have to go tracking back page after page to help others.

Thats mostly all I did tonight. Give us a break as well as the new people and those with a serious question that needs to be answered.

The only other thing I can think of to do to make you listen, is to change your titles ourselves, and believe me after tonight I am giving it some serious thought!

Shalom,Shirl

[This Message was Edited on 06/25/2003]
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Using these can make a one-liner take up two lines. When the emoticons were added, our board was so much smaller and things did not move nearly so fast.

I'm going to write to James to see if something can be done.

Love, Mikie
  8. Patti2

Patti2 New Member

Mike,
    I have only been on here a short time but what is this bump that is all over?
    Still learning..
    Patti
  9. pearls

pearls New Member

Thanks, Mikkie, for the reminder.

(A) I honestly have never seen that request before. It might be because I've not read everything posted over the months I've been here. 1) Sometimes I've been too busy to read it at all. 2) When I do read it, even then I don't read every post. One has to be really dedicated to read every post on this busy board!

Also, everyone, don't jump to conclusions. You don't really know why a person dosen't follow the "Short Rule." As an example, you may have noticed that many users on this board cannot spell well, or have other very bad habits with the language. If they have THOSE problems, they certainly will not have learned how to make concise, to-the-point titles. (By the way, one doesn't have to be a recent immigrant to have language difficulties. For whatever reason, many of our members did not become adept with English in school.)

A tutorial might be useful here. You were on the right track with the two examples of useless titles, but a person with language difficulties will not know what to DO with only two examples of what NOT to do, though negative examples are useful in a larger tutorial context.

(B) Some of us may have thought - as I did - that the size limitations built into the program were the limits of what we were allowed to write in a title. We had no idea of long titles causing problems.

(C) You all remember the one about the FMS convention? We'd have one, but we'd all forget to go! This little problem might explain a lot of things!

-Pearl
  10. paula45

paula45 New Member

up again...bumpity bump...
  11. Lynda B.

Lynda B. New Member

Hey gals,

I have noticed that many titles could have abbreviated words in them. I would get most abbrevations because the topics are often mentioned over and over. I wonder if we could provide a helpful paragraph that goes along with the introductin that gives some suggestions on how to abbreviate. Like try using slashes instead of the word "and" or use FMS and no need to write it all out or things like that.

I also get just as frustrated with titles that have have no context regarding the post. I pass those up all of the time. I can't help but think that some of this info should be available on an introduction at the top and would soves problems for you. You would not have to remind people over and over, just refer us to the intro page.

THEN, it is written in black and white all of the time for you to refer all to. Sorry if that isimpossible. Just trying to come up with helpful productive suggestions.

Goodluck,

Lynda B.
  12. marykello4

marykello4 New Member

HI...I need to know how to get a message on the board. I have tried several times to ask anyone to let me know if I should take ole and colloidal silver or if they are the same and I only need one. I have been taking ole for about 3 wks. and I have been reading ome of the posts. It is great to have so many knowageable people giving posts. Thanks,,Mary
  13. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I understand that we all suffer from varying degrees of fog and cognitive problems. That is why I have posted about this problem so many times. I have been hoping that if people see it often enough, the problem will be solved eventually.

Shirrell has pointed out to me that on her computer, a title which only takes up one line takes up two on mine. I would imagine this is true for others as well. If we just keep the titles short and to the point, it will help with this.

Also, James and Eli are working on the problem, but they are so very busy that it may take a while before anything can be done. In the meantime, I think we would all appreciate titles as short and to the point as possible, with the understanding that some people will struggle with this. Anything y'all can do to help is much appreciated.

Love, Mikie
  14. donna13210

donna13210 Member

Don't mean to be rude, but I feel your comments about members' command of the English language were out of place and unnecessary. Poor spelling doesn't cause longer titles, neither does "language problems".

Our moderator, Mikie, was either trying to be polite or didn't read your post thoroughly. In my opinion, your post wasn't referencing "brain fog" at all.

Those of us with FMS have more important things to worry about than if a sentence ends in a preposition or a word misspelled. I type quickly and often don't bother to go back and correct misspellings.

People of all ages, races and intelligence levels have been beaten down by Fibromyalgia. Give us a break. Thanks for considering my comments.

ON SHORTER TITLES: shorter is good, yes, but I also vote for the title containing the topic. It would help all of us alot when scanning topics AND get the members more responses.

Take care, all

[This Message was Edited on 06/26/2003]
  15. Applyn59

Applyn59 New Member

I would think asking to keep titles short would be
    the easiest one for people to remember and do.
    It's not that hard! Oh, I wish I could edit them.
    I used to have to come up with headlines that only
    took so much space! LOL

Whoever mentioned it, I too wish this box could be
    wider! The message area, not the title. Maybe
    they should shorten that box so that it won't
    take a long title.

Lynn
  16. Shirl

Shirl New Member

problem here, and as for those who have a problem with spelling etc. Well, just remember we do not give prizes for correct spelling, or English composition around here.

I have yet to read a post that I did not understand regardless of how it was written.

I consider all missspelled words kisses, and none stop sentences hugs! Give that one some thought.

Shalom, shirl
  17. donna13210

donna13210 Member

BUMPING FOR THOSE WHO HAVE NOT SEEN
  18. pearls

pearls New Member

1) (Especially for Donna) About my "rudeness:" I did not mean to be rude. I was problem solving. As a teacher, I can tell you that problems with spelling and language ARE very likely related to this topic. These language problems are symptoms of larger language problems. There are exceptions of course, but in general, people who cannot spell or use language well have difficulties writing catchy, consise titles reflective of their topics, as well, because they are all writing skills.

I assure you I am not one of the spelling and grammar police. My interest is in helping people. I don't consider people with these problems to be inferior people. For whatever reason, they simply have not learned how to spell or use language well. What I suggested was a lesson in HOW to write such titles. That isn't being rude. That's merely pointing out what I think is usually one of the real reasons for the problems being discussed.

Add to that the following:

2) Many of us do not read even half the posts. This is a very large site. I can tell you that I have not ever seen the request made in this thread.

3) I assumed the program would cut me off if my title was too big. Perhaps others thought that, too.

4) Some of us forget stuff!

5) I honestly did not realize that two-liners caused others' messages to go on to page two prematurely. I apologize if mine have done so.

Love and hugs to all,
    -Pearl

[This Message was Edited on 06/26/2003]
  19. pearls

pearls New Member

Writing titles

Lesson #1

Look at the titles that have grabbed your attention. Why have they done that? They are probably on a subject of interest to you, but once you get over that, why else are they catchy?

Look at titles you pass up. Why did you skip those posts? Could it be that you have no idea what they are going to talk about?

Reading the titles and asking the above questions is the first step to learning how to write catchy titles yourself. Perhaps some of you have more questions to add to mine.

-Pearl
  20. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

on the english language.

We come here because we are all sick with these horrible, debilitating and mostly misunderstood illnesses.

We are here to help each other in our quest for knowledge and healing related to our health.

I, for one, find it very belittling to have you repeatedly remind us of our language & grammer foibles.

I can't speak for anyone else but I feel insulted by your persistence on this matter, let it go. You are not a teacher here, you are a human being.

Jaci