please please help

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Devony, Aug 29, 2002.

1. Devony

Devony New Member

Hi, I am 21 years old and need help figuring out what is wrong with me. I had a baby 9 months ago by c section and then got pretty sick and very very tired I thought it would go away but it hasn't. I have been going to doctor's for 8 months now and they all tell me it is because I have had a baby, but I have friends with babies the same age who are not as worn out as me. I feel ok some days but most nights I sleep about 12-14 hours and still feel like I can't wake up. I nap when the baby naps which is an extra 2-4 hours a day. I feel very weak, I get extremely tired from stupid little things like grating cheese or shaking my daughter's bottle, I don't think I am that out of shape. I am very scared and starting to get quite lonely, I used to be quite active socially but am now usually too tired to go out. I fell asleep a couple weeks ago while driving and am absolutely terrified to drive at all now. I think this is wierd but it seems like the doctor thinks I am exagerating. I also feel like I am getting dumber, I know it sounds crazy but in high school I was an honor student and now it is like I am a total idiot, I hardly remember anything now even stuff I learned well doesn't seem to come to me easily. I have read a bit on cfs and it seems to fit but I have no way to know. Please if anyone can help, any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you,
    Devony
  2. Devony

Devony New Member

Hi, I am 21 years old and need help figuring out what is wrong with me. I had a baby 9 months ago by c section and then got pretty sick and very very tired I thought it would go away but it hasn't. I have been going to doctor's for 8 months now and they all tell me it is because I have had a baby, but I have friends with babies the same age who are not as worn out as me. I feel ok some days but most nights I sleep about 12-14 hours and still feel like I can't wake up. I nap when the baby naps which is an extra 2-4 hours a day. I feel very weak, I get extremely tired from stupid little things like grating cheese or shaking my daughter's bottle, I don't think I am that out of shape. I am very scared and starting to get quite lonely, I used to be quite active socially but am now usually too tired to go out. I fell asleep a couple weeks ago while driving and am absolutely terrified to drive at all now. I think this is wierd but it seems like the doctor thinks I am exagerating. I also feel like I am getting dumber, I know it sounds crazy but in high school I was an honor student and now it is like I am a total idiot, I hardly remember anything now even stuff I learned well doesn't seem to come to me easily. I have read a bit on cfs and it seems to fit but I have no way to know. Please if anyone can help, any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you,
    Devony
  3. TiredbutWired

TiredbutWired New Member

Everything you feel is real and someone with mucho experience will come on here to help you.Just wanted you to know that you are not alone and my brain feels like mush often.Tracey
  4. jackiec

jackiec New Member

Sounds a lot like I felt when I had my babies....30+ years ago. By any chance did you have a major flu episode or other infection around the time you became pregnant? I suspect having Hong Kong flu in 1969 was a contributing factor to my CFIDS, and the past two years I just couldn't keep up any more no matter how much I pushed myself. Only recently was able to find a doctor who understood.

Learn as much as you can about CFS so you can talk to your doctor armed with knowledge....seems not too many doctors know much about it.

Hope you have lots of help with the baby. Try to rest as much as you need, and be sure to get some gentle exercise in if you can. Feel free to ask questions here, there are lots of good people here with many helpful suggestions.

Good luck to you. Gentle-hugs, J.C.
  5. Shirl

Shirl New Member

To the board Devony, what I think is your need to see another doctor.

It does seem strange that its nine months and you are still feeling so exausted after having a baby. Something is wrong, and you need to find out what it is now.

As for falling asleep at the wheel, that is serious and dangerous I don't blame you from being afraid to drive.

But you need to find out what is causing this. It could be CFS, but it could also be something else too.

If I were you, I would find another doctor as soon as possible.

That is not natural for you to be so tired and sleepy.

Please let us know how you are doing, and get some help now.

Shalom, Shirl
  6. pepper

pepper New Member

Your symptoms certainly do appear to be related to chronic fatigue syndrome. You need to find a new doctor as Shirl suggested - one who believes CFS exists and who will run all kinds of tests on you to rule out other illnesses. Our symptoms mimic that of so many other illnesses that this must be done - soon. Nine months is way too long to feel like that.

I had 2 babies by c-section and was back at work in 3 months. Having the baby is not the reason for such exhaustion. Exhaustion can cause your other symptoms such as memory loss and weakness.

Just a thought, but has post-partum depression been ruled out? Severe depression can cause extreme fatigue.

Please keep us posted.
    (((HUGS)))to you. Pepper
  7. tired42long

tired42long New Member

Oh I feel so sorry you are going through this. One thing you need to do , with all your "free time" you know, when you are not chasing after a little one, changing diapers, laundry, etc.(sarcasm) is to write down your medical symptoms...even a little bitty paragraph on days that are very symtomatic. I know by experience that the docs are going to tell you its JUST because you are a new mom and it is normal to be tired. They may even try to say it is post partum depression. It is a possibility but DON"T let them just label you without looking into ALL your symptoms. Feeling tired is Not the same as feeling weak. Have they run bloodwork on you, such as anemia, etc.? One precursor of this illness can sometimes be prompted by surgery or anesthetic. There seems to be a lot of people affected after this. Also, like other post said...try to look back for non-general "morning sickness"...like a flu or bug either during pregnancy or just after sometime. Don't give up sweetie. Motherhood is tough enough. Don't be afraid to ask for help and DO NOT make yourself feel bad for feelling bad!!! I went through this a couple times (I have 6 kids total--2 grown 20 and 21, and have four at home ages 2-15). I know now that I had some signs of this illness/condition/disease many years ago. They tried to attribute it to mild thyroid stuff. That CAN affect you like this...so you maybe could have that checked too. Just hug your little one and that will get you through each day. knowing your baby is such a miracle can even help with these tough times. I know how it is with the driving thing too,,,it is scary. Let you doctor know your concern about this...and document with notes, letters, etc. they listen to you more when they know concerns are in writing. Hugs to you... (my 21year old daughter has a 2 year old...so I can relate from my example and feel the concern of a mother. Take care from a retired Supermom.
  8. Cardfamily3

Cardfamily3 New Member

I am new to this Message Board. I am sure I know how you feel. I have Neurofibermatosis (which causes tumors to grow on the nerves, it is a major pain in my life.) I have just been told by a friend who has Fibromylgia that I have all the sytoms of it, and that I can have both, she told me that Fibromylgia can because really by any trama and whe I had major surgory back in 92 I had a lot of problems. I have all the trigor points and all of the symtoms. I am really depressed and have suffred from depression for about 6 yrs or so. But, we don't know why. I am so messed up and I don't know what to do. Cardfamily3@hotmail.com
  9. Pat UK

Pat UK New Member

That is how I started with cfs, after I had my baby I was so tired I was sleeping from 5 pm till the next morning, 8 months later I thought I was not like other mothers I was always exausted. I could not dry my hair with a towell without utter exaustion and having to rest for an hour. Please see a DR because this is not right. I went on to feeling better but over the years I have got worse and now I have had to give up work, maybee if you could do something now it may prevent it detiorating.
    best wishes
    Pat.
  10. griswoldgirl

griswoldgirl New Member

also one thing ot consider is post psrtum depression-in some ladies it can last a year or so after having a baby. Deprssion can give you all these symptoms it is something you might want to check out.

The symptoms you describe fit cfsor fibro but it can alsdo fit so many other things. You need a doc who is willing to really listen to you and realize how bothersom this really is to you.

hang in there we are here for you

cathy
  11. Sindy-Uk

Sindy-Uk New Member

I just wanted to say welcome. It must be really awful to feel the way you do, especially when you have a little baby. Just like Shirl and all others, I want to say, please insist that your doctor does all the tests for you to rule everything else out. What I find these days is that doctors are so quick to put all this down to depression or CFS. I suffered from chronic fatigue for 10 years before they diagnosed me with CFS. They kept assuming I had depression which I was not aware of. I kept insisting that I did not. If your present doctor is unwilling to do the tests please find another doctor. The quicker you find the cause the quicker you can start treating it. I wish you the best of luck. Please keep us updated

Satin
  12. MicheleF

MicheleF New Member

So sorry you're both going thru such a rough time. Finding the right doctor is not always easy, but don't give up. There are many here who understand what both of you are going thru. Feel free to ask any questions, also do search messages (at the top) for a specific symptom and/or medication/supplement--you'll get all the posts written about it.

Cardfamily, you may want to post a separate message, so those who replied here after you did, will welcome you.

Welcome to the board. Best wishes to both. Michele
  13. tandy

tandy New Member

Just my 2 cents. Having and caring for a baby is alot to handle but......the pain and tiredness you've descibed is NOT normal!please write down all your symptoms and really emphasize how tired and weak you feel-go to your reg. dr and ask to be referred to a Rheumatologist.You obviously are not feeling at all like yourself.And the feeling forgetful/stupid(lol)thats a big part of these diseases!
    I myself went to 5 different Drs before I got a DX that I felt was right on the money.
    I can recall being sick,high fever,body aches,bad sore throat,total exaustion.....and finally going to the drs and having a throat culture done which tested possitive for Strep.I was put on 2 rounds of antibiotics and felt better but not yet back to normal-at that point drs. were saying It turned into a staff infection! I never have been back to mormal.....soon after ,is when I was told I had FMS.
    Push for answers girl! b/c if you don't they'll blow you off!Good luck and please keep us all posted on the outcome!
    best regards,
    Tracey