Please pray for me I got bitten by a cat

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Ellie, Jun 13, 2003.

1. Ellie

Ellie New Member

again this time 5 puncture wounds and went to the ER and they did not open them up like the last two bite. I am afraid of infection, I got a shot of antibiotic and some oral and they put my hand in a cast. I took the cast off to soak it and long behold there is liquid coming from the wounds. If is gets worst I will go back to the er and make them cut them open yuck more scares. Please all be carefull!!!! ALoha Ellie will keep you posted
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm so sorry. Is this a cat you know? Does it have its shots? I assume it does.

Watch for red stripes going up the arm and if you see any, get to the ER ASAP. I pray that you heal without any problems.

Love, Mikie
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

We were all discussing that today, including you! What happened?

I will sure pray that it does not get infected. Take care of yourself Ellie, thats just terrible to happen to you.

Shalom, Shirl
  4. coyote

coyote New Member

I am one of those "cat people" who sometimes goes after saving strays. I have 5 in house now.
    I've been bitten by strays several times, and when I went to the ER, they got me started right away on a series of rabies shots. This will protect you if you get it soon after the bite. Contrary to what you hear, the shots are given in your arm, and are not particularly painful.
    I ended up in the hospital one time from cat bites, and they kept the wounds packed in WET bandages. This pulled the infection out of the wounds. I was also getting IV antibiotic.
    Even when I broke up a fight between two of my own cats, my hand got mangled, swollen, infected, and I had to go back to the ER for more treatment.
    There is also something called "Cat Fever" which develops from a bite.
    Don't let this go. Cats have a lot of bacteria in their mouths, and are able to push it deep into your skin when they bite.
    They should have cleaned the bites for you.
    Get it checked.....try topial antibiotics, soaks, keep it covered......see your Dr.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/13/2003]
  5. rosebud41298

rosebud41298 New Member

I TOO HAVE BEEN RECENTLY BITTEN AND DIDN'T GO TO DR. FOR TWO DAYS. MY HAND STARTED SWELLING AND MY COWORKERS TOLD ME TO CALL DR. HE PUT ME ON 2 ANTIBIOTIC, DOUBLING FIRST DOSES. I ALSO HAVE TO ELEVATE MY HAND OFF AND ON FOR 1 1/2 DAYS AND APPLY MOIST HEAT 4-5 TIMES A DAY DURING THAT TIME!! DR. SAID THAT WAS THE KEY! BITES DID HAVE PUS AND I TRIED WORKING IT OUT ALSO. I WROTE MORE IN ANOTHER MESSAGE IF YOU WANT MORE INFO. JUST PUT IN CAT BITE IN SEARCH.
  6. Ellie

Ellie New Member

It took about 5 hours of waiting and they cut it opened and put a drain in it . They wanted to get a iv meds put they kept blowing my veins so I came home. Yes it hurts I hate docs. Thanks everyone. The cat is a rescue Momma Kitten and two baby kits so she was trying to get out of the bathroom and i shoved her back and she bite me. She has been tested. Ps cats teeth can brake off inside the bite area that is another reason not to fool around with is. Thanks Ellie
    [This Message was Edited on 06/14/2003]
  7. Jen F

Jen F New Member

Gosh, what a disaster a cat bite can be!

I have had good success with soaking my hand in strong, warm epsom salt water immediately after a bite. It helped to prevent infection and I didn't require an ER visit. But, you need to get to it right away, of course, and I also use healing antibacterial creams or hydrogen peroxide.

I am so sorry for what you are having to endure Ellie! I hope it passes soon, must hurt a lot and be very worrisome.

Sincerely,

Jen F
  8. dd

dd New Member

We were just discussing that yesterday.

Please take care of yourself and I will send a prayer up for you.

Peace,

Debbie
  9. coyote

coyote New Member

Cat bites can be painful. They are warm and cuddly, but also have sharp little teeth that can penetrate.
    I never thought of epsom salt soaks, that is a good idea. I have gone to the beach in the past to soak cat bite wounds.

Ellie, I imagine this isn't very good for your fibro, either. Are you in a flare?