Please prayI think I've lost my friend

Discussion in 'Spirituality/Worship' started by Adl123, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear All,
    It's been a while since I've used this board. I come, asking for prayers, both for my friend, and for myself, as we are both going through big changes.

I've recently been working on letting go of anger and trying to be truly spiritual. My friend, of almost 40 years, is still going through the throes of anger and is suffering a lot from that, as it has made her negative about almost everythng. In fact, I'm hard put to find anything to talk about, because every positive thing I say is countered by a negative comment.

I just found out, in talking with her, that she's noticed how I've changed over the past two years. Because of my new spiritual life, I've gone from angry and unhappy to pretty peaceful and extremely happy. She told me that she doesn't like the change in me. I can imagine how she is feeling. I know that anger is hard to give up. It is something to hold on to when one feels powerless. I have deep compassion for her. However, it still hurts to know that she is not happy that I am happy. Instead, she puts me down and sarcastically calls me a "saint"- with no hummor.

I haven't tried to "convert" her, and I speak about my own spirituality and those connected with it, only after she has asked. I'm surprised at her reaction, and I'm really hurt. Even though I know I'm not alone, it makes me feel that I am - at least physically, as my family lives far away. She must feel the same.

It seems that we are drifting apart. She rarely accepts an invitation from me, unless I can take her shopping or some such thing. It is almost never just to "hang" and go shopping, or something. I am a convenient car owner. She has no family obligatons, and doesn't work. I think we are just both changing, but I don't want to lose her as a friend, and I hate to see her so unhappy. Yet, I have feelings, too. Has this happened to you? How did you handle it?

Pease pray for both of us.
    Thanks, in advance,
    Terry
  2. windblade

windblade Active Member

Praying for both you and your friend. I hope you keep growing in your spiritual life! It's a sad and painful situation - I've lost people too. And the only thing that has helped me is knowing I can pray for a change in their lives.

You need to decide how toxic your friend is in your life - will be praying for help for you to make that decision, of how to respond.

Blessings to you, and glad you've come back here. Let us know how things work out.

Judy
  3. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Thank you for uour responses. I agree with you, and I also apprecieate your compassion and understanding.
    We will alll pray for eachother.
    Terry
  4. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

It seems that we have "agreed to disagree", for the time being as least. II realized that I need to let go of having my best friend approve of think well of me.
    Gratefully,
    Terry
  5. windblade

windblade Active Member

So glad that you didn't have to let go of the whole friendship! Sounds like you handled it very wisely.

Judy