Please read...another poll for all....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tes, Feb 13, 2003.

1. tes

tes New Member

Does anyone suffer with lower rib pain as their main fm symptom? I am having such a rough time with this and would appreciate and help. This week has been quite unbearable with lower rib pain. It is constant and at night it gets really bad. I take no meds for this. Any input would be appreciated. God Bless. Tes
  2. nancyneptune

nancyneptune New Member

since 1996, never had rib pain until these past few months. It's a study in pain trying to wipe my butt! Sorry to be gross. Rib muscles will go into spasms when I cough, too.
  3. tandy

tandy New Member

I've had the rib pain for the last year with FM.The first 8 yrs or so,I never got it~ I'm having the pain again this week,left side....radiating into the side,hip and butt.I just picked up some Motrin 800mgs,hoping to find some relief.Nothing else seems to help,NOTHING!! I find some help using my heating pad. I wish my Rheumy would order x-rays,or something to prove its FM and not something else! All the while I feel alot of pressure/bladder pain whenever my bladder is full.Seems I'm peeing more too???but not sure cause I do pee alot anyway~Sometimes 2-3 times an hr! This pain can drive me nuts!!I guess if I knew for sure the cause, then my mind would be more at ease about it.(therefore maybe I would'nt dwell on it or think of it as much)make sense??I keep getting this alot,this last yr has been a rough one!!
    Sorry your still in this boat~Have you heard from or about your Barium? Hope you find out something soon.
    Take care,
    Love,
    Tracey
  4. TerriM

TerriM New Member

I get lower rib pain on the right side quite often and then also pain on both my sides kind of in "spots" . . . at one point I thought they were glands or something. I have CFS not FM, (or do I?) . . . I saw that someone asked about this in the note with questions for Dr. Lapp the other day . . . does anyone know what this comes from???? Thanks, Terri
  5. onesmileymyley

onesmileymyley New Member

I am with you all the way with the rib pain Tes. I have had it for well over a year now and I see know end in sight. I feel a bit better then I did a few day's ago but my chriopractor has been doing alot of work to them which is showing me a little more mercey. I am sorry for all your pain and hope it soon ends.
  6. rdthewave

rdthewave New Member

Tes,

I had this pretty intensely the first year. I can only tell you what this might mean from the perspective of oriental medicine. My first Dr. was a Dr. of oriental Medicine and he told me this was a sign that the liver was not doing its job........this doesn't mean that you have liver disease. He gave me some chinese herbs that helped this.......he was a great Doctor but unfortunately moved out of the area.

Tammy
  7. Dawnt

Dawnt Member

Before I was diagnosed, I had excrutiating pain on my right side under my rib. I went through tons of tests. At the time my liver was swollen 3 x's the normal size. They determined my gallbladder wasn't functioning properly and decided to remove it. I went through the surgery. But now with reading about most people on here having that pain. I tend to wonder if it was my gallbladder as I still have that pain.
    Dawn
  8. Peashock

Peashock New Member

Hello,
    I also have terrible rib pain under my left breast and it extends to my left side. It is very tender to touch and it is just a awful pain to have. This is also my main symptom. I do not hear a lot of people saying they suffer from rib pain.
  9. lassiecass

lassiecass New Member

Hi Tes,
    Yes I have the rib pain. Had it for about 5 years. It comes and goes but I have been having accupuncture for about 3 years and that really helps. My Dr. said I have Costocondritis (sp) that hasn't helped. I use a bean bag in the micro and that gives me some relief when it flares up.
    Hope this helps. Have a good evening.
    Sandy (Cass)
  10. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

that is one of the few parts of my body that does not hurt.
    Kathryn
  11. pookiebyrd

pookiebyrd New Member

I have had low rib pain for about 6months now, my doctor also states that it is costochondritis, and there is nothing you can do for it, it just takes time to heal. I asked her how long and she said when you add it to fibro, it can take days, weeks, months or years, and can come and go.

Pookie
  12. TerriM

TerriM New Member

I have the lower rib pain on the right side as well. I supposedly have CFS and not FM . . . is this strange? When I get it I usually get very swollen lymph nodes also. My aunt has gallbladder problems and told me that is where her pain is as well . . . I've had liver testing and all of it shows normal?? Thanks! Terri
  13. Taliesen

Taliesen New Member

Hello all, this is my first post on this website and I must admit I was quite relieved to hear all of the good experiences and suggestions. I have had rib pain since February of 2000. I first became aware of it when I had been working out on a pull up bar. I had balanced my torso(under my ribs) on the bar and was kinda of playing around on it. Shortly after that I began to feel a dull ache under my right rib cage and at the attatchment muscles near the sternum. I ignored it at the time thinking I just pulled a muscle. Well 3 years later, an ultrasound, a Hida scan, and numerous visits to a gastrointerologist later I realize that it appears to be costocondritis. I am most aware of it when taking a deep breath or twisting my torso to the extreme. (so I dont do that often, hehe). Light stretching does help and I take Tai Chi which seems to really loosen up the area.
    The pain is suffieciently relieved by a heating pad. I am more interested in attending to it in a natural alternative fashion then relying on over the counter meds. I will take the suggestion I read about taking the glucosamine sulfate/ condroitin mix but am looking for other suggestions.

Also, I find that my pain is also associated with my posture at the computer. I became aware that where my pain is in my ribs is the area of my body that is contracted repititively by my poor posture. So I am working hard to address that. Thanks for listening
  14. Bambi

Bambi New Member

pain. It sounds like it would make it
    worse, but I have an elastic rib brace, adjustable with elastic bands
    with velcro on them and I pull it up pretty tight around my ribs. It really does help me. Hugs, Bambi
  15. Tattoopixie

Tattoopixie New Member

Yep- my ribs often hurt & last yr I wound up in the ER thinking it was my gallbladder- had bloodwork, sonogram, hida scan - all showed nothing wrong w/gallbladder...then had colonoscopy & endoscopy & showed only mild gastritis + dx'd w/ibs. Pain still comes & goes. Sometimes on lower rt side, sometimes on left side & sometimes both right under breasts. Not a fun thing. Sorry to hear you have this too.
    ***Pixie***
  16. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

have had it from time to time. Sometimes quite bad. Thought I may have bruised a rib or something. dolsgirl
  17. mauri

mauri New Member

I've has costocondritis ever since i was 14, and it hasnt gone away. I wanted to ask if anyone else here has had issues with breathing. I feel the pain all day every day, but some days it gets so bad my chest and face and hands get that tingly feeling you get when a part of your body falls asleep, and i cant breathe and my knees buckle and i go down, and the room gets fuzzy from the dizziness. It happens more often than i would like and i cant even carry a backpack which is hard for a sophomore in college. Advil doesnt work i can tell that much, and mri's catscanss, ecg's show nothing, the bone scan was the only thing to show anything. Some say heat or cold help, but heat or cold dont. My chest doesnt seem affected by either. Are there any more suggestions of pain relief?
  18. kerrymygirl

kerrymygirl New Member

Under the breastbone or around it follow with your hand. If you feel lumps, hard,they radiate and cause pain. Did not even know I had so many follow all the way around. When I push it is like putting my nail in a tooth socket that was just pulled. They hurt like heck. I was told to get in hot-tub and slowly rub and press to work on them. I can hardly touch. That is why a bra hurts so. Also have costochondritis which adds to the prob. Common with the disorder. When I stretch people can here my chest crack across the room. Also MPS another aggivator as mentioned.

Oh, the fun of all of this!!!

Wonder what all the old people think I am doing in hot tub???Hmmmmmm, Oh well, they will talk anyway.
  19. Achy-shaky

Achy-shaky New Member

Moist heat and anti-inflammatories can help temporarily but for the long run I've found relief using trigger point therapy for rib pain and other knots of pain. You can treat yourself or have a therapist trained properly do it for you. Quoting Clair Davies in her book called The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook, "Myofascial pain associated with the ribs may be mislabeled costochondritis or inflammation of the ribs. You may be told you have a separated rib, ulcers, or gall bladder trouble. Treatment of these conditions is not likely to solve the problem when trigger points are the cause." If you are not familiar with trigger points they are those little balls of pain that can come from several small or large injuries built up over the years. It explains how rib pain can come from something as simple as a bad cough or an underwire bra. It goes into great detail how to gentle massage them and the muscles where the pain is getting referred from. You really have to read the book to appreciate all that's involved. It doesn't work overnight...the longer you've had them the longer it takes to get rid of them.

Hope this helps.
    Blessings,
    Shaky