Please Read EVERYONE...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MamaDove, Nov 5, 2005.

1. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

If you get the Sunday Newspapers, there is something called USA WEEKEND...They also have a website by the same name...just add .com...

Today, page 16, another article on depression with Lorraine Bracco (from Sopranos fame) SMILING and telling her story about how she admitted she had a problem and with medication and therapy, she overcame her illness and gained her life back after going thru what she calls "My lost year"

To the right of the article, next to her very large image, I find a blurb entitled DEPRESSION OFTEN ACCOMPANIES OTHER ILLNESSES...
    Goes on to say that if you have a serious illness, you may also be depressed (DUH)
    It also states that many scientific studies reveal that depression and disease often co-exist, each making the other worse.(DUH)
    Now, for the humdinger!!!!
    The next line goes like this...
    >You're at risk if you have: Alzheimer's disease,cancer, heart disease,stroke,infertility or chronic pain syndromes such as FIBROMYALGIA, CHRONIC FATIGUE and LOW BACK PAIN.
    >Some medications raise your risk too...blah,blah,blah
    >The good news: Treatment can help your depression and your recovery from the co-existing disease -Susan T.Lennon

OKAY, now for my two cents...

Firstly, let me say I am soooooooo happy for the people who have overcome depression, disease etc...Nothing makes me feel more good inside than someone who has beaten their opponent esp. when it's an illness.

However, this article brings to mind that we only hear about these certain HURRAHS when corps are trying to sell us something...Much like the depression ads on tv that direct you to a website sponsored by whoelse, a drug company.

I have clipped this article so I can keep it with my records and the next time one of my docs or lawyers or family members or acquaintances have a problem accepting my condition, I will show them this article and tell them that if they choose to question my condition again, I will have Lorraine Bracco come to lecture them and she will certainly be bringing her friend Tony Soprano along to bust their kneecaps...Forget the latter, cause then I would have to listen to them cry about how much pain they are in and people would be hawking them to sympathize because they can see the casts holding their legs together...

Forget the whole thing, after all this time we are still mostly ignored by normals and misunderstood by everyone other than the people on this board...I am also going into a rage induced fog, must be cause of this article, so I should discontinue writing or I will really confuse everyone...

Hope everyone is having a special day...Any opinions on this article, certainly chime in...

Love and hugs to all~Alicia
  2. 57Wagon

57Wagon New Member

This reminds me what a friend told me about depression. He told me if you are depressed you just need to go see a doctor and get some pills and you will be cured. He was talking about his wifes uncle and I was sure it was a dig at me because at that time the doctors thought depression was causing my fatigue. When he said that I tore a strip of him I was mad. It turn out CFS causes depression and I feel for anyone that suffers from depression full time.
  3. fivesue

fivesue New Member

as I have resistant clinical depression, I was very interested in the new drug that is being advertised. I must call my doctor tomorrow because my AD is no longer working, and although I want to try Cymbalta first, I am very happy to see the new drug that combines Prozac with Zyprexa. Although I have never tried Zy. I did take Prozac for quite a while, and it helped me until it didn't. I acutally loved it as I didn't gain too much weight and helped the depression.

So, as a depression sufferer before I started FM, I was not bothered by the ad. In a way I thought it was informative to those who may have chronic or life threatening diseases and are depressed...they can see that it isn't abnormal to have these feelings.

It's not for everyone, I admit. And, as you say, it may be a bid for more sales, but as I have always known that depression many times accompanies these diseases...it's secondary in many cases but not mine...I wasn't offended.

I also appreciated the news about the new med for asthma. My husband has asthma, and he is one who only uses his inhaler when he is having trouble breathing. The new drug that would help maintain airflow sound very helpful. I'm going to point it out to him.

I do understand your reaction, though. Many people, medical people included, thing FM is all in our heads and as we well know, it certainly isn't.

A special day to you, Alicia, also. Glad you brought this up. Good post.

Sue
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

She has been making the rounds of the talk shows and is paid to talk about her depression and recovery.

Using celebrites is the latest marketing technique of pharmaceutical companies. For a long time, they would act as though they just wanted to get the word out out of the goodness of their hearts. I think this is unethical unless it's made perfectly clear that they are being paid to tout remedies to the public.

Love, Mikie
  5. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Here I was so supportive until I looked up the new "depression" drug and found out what it's really for...!

I did it on a post...New AD...etc.

Really bugs me. I'm with you, Alicia. AAGH!

Sue
  6. fivesue

fivesue New Member

But this was billed as as a new antidepressant for stubborn depression. That's the point exactly!

Talk about misrepresentation. Sheesh!

Sue