PLEASE READ...Need advice!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MamaDove, Sep 27, 2005.

  1. MamaDove

    MamaDove New Member

    Hi Everyone,

    I have a dilemma~ I wonder if any of you have been through something similar or just advise me on what steps to take...

    I am in the process of applying for SSDI...I have a lawyer...My lawyer says that although my records indicate the illnesses I am applying for and over 10 years of documentation, I should see a psychologist to help my case...He tells me his fees in the past have been $350.00 and need to paid directly to the doctor upon completion of the visits and the report. I agree because I would like this over with and to get this worry off of me...

    I go to the first visit and the doc explains that he would like testing and another follow-up visit to complete his report...The most it would cost is $600.00, payable in 6 monthly installments of $100.00...Now I am stuck! I haven't worked in a year and my disabled husband (on a fixed income) is supporting our household...I question him further and tell him that the lawyer said $350.00 (the doc looked quite surprised)...

    Make a long story short, I get the bill today...$855.00

    I am not telling my husband, he will go balistic on everyone, including me for not getting this in writing or somehow documenting the cost in advance...

    I am so tired of being ripped-off and taken advantage of!!!

    Any suggestions of how to handle this would be greatly appreciated...

    Thanks everyone~Alicia
  2. ruby711

    ruby711 New Member

    I am guessing that you agreed on the 600.00 and am confused about the increased amount of the bill. Perhaps you could write a letter to the doctor to ask for a reduced fee due to financial hardship. Sorry you are going thru all this, and I hope you get this resolved.
  3. JLH

    JLH New Member

    call a few other lawyers (who advertise that they are social security disability lawyers) and ask if you can ask them a "free" question - then document all of your replies -explain what you did to us, and ask if this is legal.

    Maybe you could get a "legal aide" lawyer and SUE THE LAWYER that you already have. He sounds like he is out to get your money -- as well as the psychologist!!!

    After you apply for SSDI, if they want you to go to a psychologist, THEY WILL SEND YOU TO THEIRS FOR FREE!!!!!!

    When I applied for SSDI, I did it myself and, therefore, did not have a lawyer. I did not go to any special doctors before I applied. I just had them get my records from the doctors that I had been going to.

    Soc. Sec. then sent me to one of their medical docs and to one of their psychologists. I did not have to pay for either one. I was approved on my first application in 4 months.

    I agree with all of the above suggestions. Start calling .... the soc. sec. office, etc.

    Good luck and let us know what happens.

  4. teach6

    teach6 New Member

    I had the best known attorney in my metro area. One of the first things he had me, and almost everyone else, do was go to a psychologist for neuro-psych testing. I have used that testing for all kinds of evidnece, such as my LTD continuance, and my disabiity retirement case.

    The one thing I would question is the changing of prices on you. That sounds like bait and switch to me.

  5. suzetal

    suzetal New Member

    had me see 1 More doctor before my hearing.Told her I did not have the cash.No problem she would pay the visit and when I got my ss settlement I can pay her.

    I won my case and when she gets bill from the Doctor Ill pay her the 250.00.

    See if yours will pay upfront for you.And then you pay them back.

    good luck Sue
  6. puppyfreak

    puppyfreak New Member

    Are these tests essential to your case? Are the necessary for the Doc to form his opinion of your psychiatric/psychological disability?
    If so, it may be worth your while to have them done.
    BUT - you weren't informed of this ahead of time [which is technically called informed consent] so I don't think you can be held responsible for this huge bill. [unless you signed something saying you'd pay for whatever the Doc ordered]
    In the case where you are stuck with this bill, you need to communicate that you CANNOT pay it according to his schedule [if you can't]. Tell him you'll pay $25 per month or whatever you can but he can't send it to collections if you're paying something.
    AND you need to get all this out in the open with your attorney - he may really not have known about the cost but if he did, he needs to be called on this unethical behavior!
  7. MamaDove

    MamaDove New Member

    After reading all the replies to my post, I was able to see my situation more clearly...

    Let me say first, that I was sent to this psychologist to get a firm diagnosis of depression to add to my collection of ailments...My lawyer deemed it absolutely necessary to win my case...My husband thought it strange that the lawyer couldn't win my case on all of my current problems alone...

    I think my main issue is the cost of this opinion ending up to be much more than the lawyer and doctor quoted...
    You can bet I will not be paying this in full, I will be confronting the lawyer (when he decides to call me back)and letting him know that I am not the Bank of America...He will not be retiring on my case nor will he be buying a new Mercedes on my butt...

    It's amazing how many people seem to benefit monetarily from our illnesses, and we wonder why we are told "there is no known cause or cure"...Leaves the door open for all concerned to keep pulling money out of our pockets looking for the "cure", or at the very least, some relief...

    Thank you everyone for allowing me to see the way to address and rectify this...This does seem to be a "bait and switch" and it surely seems the doc and lawyer are in cahoots (sp?)...Someone will be hearing from me, I just hope I am not more fogged than usual, I tend to clam up and not say what needs to be heard...

    I knew I could count on this board to help me...Alicia

[ advertisement ]