PLEASE READ......question I am pondering on

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by sues1, Nov 29, 2007.

1. sues1

sues1 New Member

I had a large mass in my breast, breast was removed. First 2 Lymph nodes had evidence of, that they tested, did not.

I am doing chemo right now. After that I am to have radiation every day for between 4 to 6 wks. I forget the length of time for it.

I have been to three Cancer Drs. All recommended 1 chemo treatment every 3 weeks. I had one set of 4 with two chemo chemicals. Now in the set of 4 treatments with two other chemicals.

Radiation is to be in the arm pit area. I need to talk to my dr. but I wanted to ask here, My dr. was surprised that the others wanted radiation, since there is no sign of cancer otherwise and it appears all was removed. If I do not have any tumors or such,,,,,and I have and I am doing chemo, is radiation needed also?

It made sense to me at first, but I guess I have gathered my thoughts and question this. Of course all will be discussed and checked out before I make any decision on this.

Since my chemo plan was not agressive, (Some folks have chemo much more often and some every day), I am questioning
    the need for this additional treatment. Drs. did not seem to think I needed more chemo then every 3 wks.

ANY thoughts on this would be appreciated. I have been doing fine, other than my fibromyagla that I already had.

Blessings to all of you.............Susan

2. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

goodness with doctors saying different things to you what are you supposed to think.

I have a friend in Vancouver who has just a years chemo and a double masectomy - she was told it was gone but still has to have radiation treatment.

I'm so sorry you're having to go through this. I don't know if this answer will help.

What about self help groups - maybe even online, you might be able to find out from talking to women who have had the same experience.

3. sues1

sues1 New Member

I posted the same on a Cancer message board, that we have here also. Just wanted more coverage.

Cancer is not the death sentence that it used to be, but treatments are rough, but worth it!

I have a couple of people I am going to call and talk to and plan on checking more on all.

Blessings to you.........Susan

More: My Dr. I decided to go with wondered why the arm pit area (area of the nodes) and not my chest where the breast was removed, and said she was not recommending that either.[This Message was Edited on 11/30/2007]
  4. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I know that great advances have been made with cancers, especially breast cancer.

Nevertheless it is a terrible and long ordeal.

My friend is like you, very positive and very cheerful. I'm full of admiration for you both.

5. jmq

jmq New Member

Hi!!! I am sorry that I can not help with this, but was sooo happy to see you posting. I have been thinking about you and hoping you were doing well. Figured with chemo and everything, you were too pooped to post.

I do agree that you need to question is amazing how doctors have such different opinions... and a patient is just left to figure it out.

It is almost time for my 6 month follow up mamo from the biopsy soon as I get nervous, I think of you and how amazing your attitude has been. I will never be able to thank you enough for being here.

Hope someone can give you some advise on the chemo...

6. ckball

ckball New Member

Yes a very tough question. I had rectal cancer that was found during a hemmie surgery. Did know it was cancer until the biopsy came back 5 days later.

Since there are so many lymphs glands in that area, they felt I needed chemo and radiation, just in case a renagade cell got loose. I had 2 5 day in hospital infusion 30 days apart, and radiation 5 days a week for 6 weeks.

It was horrible, believe me nothing could have survived down there after that. The problem was I was on a med that I was not allowed to be exposed to the sun light, let alone radiation. Not trying to scare you, armpits are a little different than bottoms but if you have any light sensitivties I would think long and hard and weigh the odds.

I have been clean for 12 years now so I am glad I did it, but if I knew I had to do it again, I don't know. I am sorry you have to make these decisions then have too many Drs in the soup stirring it all around to suit thier needs. It makes it hard. Just be quiet for a while and the answer will come. Prayers and hugs-Carla
  7. sues1

sues1 New Member

Sorry to be so late in posting to both of you. I did check your responses and then left computer to lay down.......LOL.

I have not been on much. JMQ, I think of you often and send my prayers and all your way.

Ckball, thanks for your support also. It helped.

I am going ahead with it.......dreading it, but......

Anyhow Blessings to both of you..............Susan
  8. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

google breast cancer treatments....i have not had any cancer's as of yet...but i think everything may depend upon the level of cancer you have or class...

i know there are so many decisions you must make...

hugs to you

9. ckball

ckball New Member

I am glad I was able to help in some way. I really do understand how you feel.

I want to quote something to you that recently came to me, I think it will help you and others as well

When you come to the edge of all you know

You must believe in one of two things

There will be earth upon which you stand

or you will be given wings to fly

author unknown

I wish you all the best, what you will go threw is a small piece of time compared to the life it will give you back. Hugs- Carla