PLEASE READ: Re: FMS ADD

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Nikki, Aug 5, 2006.

1. Nikki

Nikki Member

I found this info. @ add-fibromyalgia. I have every one of the criteria for inattention. My mom is bi-polar and my oldest son (37) was dx'd with adult ADHD about 3 yrs ago. I truly believe that all 3 are linked in some way.

How would y'all fair on this test? Has anyone here been dx'd with ADD, too??

ATTENTION DEFICIT DISORDER DIAGNOSTIC
    CRITERIA

INATTENTION
    1. Often has trouble sustaining attention in tasks
    2. Often does not seem to listen when spoken to directly
    3. Often has trouble organizing activities
    4. Often avoids or is hesitant about engaging in projects that require sustained mental effort
    5. Often loses things
    6. Often does not give close attention to details or makes careless mistakes
    7. Often does not follow through on instruction or does not finish tasks.
    8. Is often easily distracted by extraneous stimuli
    9. Is often forgetful in daily activities
    Total____(Inattention)

HYPERACTIVITY
    1. Often does not like to remain seated, even when being seated is expected
    2. Often feels restless
    3. Often fidgets with hands or feet or squirms in seat
    4. Often talks excessively
    5. Often has difficulty engaging in leisure activities quietly
    6. Is often "on the go" or often acts like they are "driven by a motor"

IMPULSIVITY
    7. Often has difficulty awaiting turn
    8. Often interrupts others, such as in conversations or games
    9. Often blurts out answers before questions are completed
    Total_____(Hyperactivity-impulsivity)

If 6 or more symptoms of inattention or hyperactivity-impulsivity have been a problem for at least 6 months, the patient should be evaluated by someone who specializes in adult attention deficit disorder.

There is a very good ADHD criteria on this site for women with attention deficit disorder

Thanks for reading this long post.

Hugs,
    Nikki
  2. Nikki

Nikki Member

before I get lost on the 2nd page.

3. BEARANDBUGSMOM

BEARANDBUGSMOM New Member

I was going to the doctor for ADD I didn't know anything about fibro and my doctor never said anything about It. I happen to be searching for symptoms one day and I came across fibro and cfs. At the time my doctor put me on Adderall (for ADD) which was fantastic wow it gets you moving but that feeling falls off really fast, but gosh it felt wonderful. I just went to the doctor 2 days ago and asked if I could go on it again to see if it would help with the fibro fog, I'm forgetting so much and doing things that are starting to scare me! A lot of the symptoms of fibro/cfs sound just like ADD!

((hugs))
    Kelly
  4. Nikki

Nikki Member

I just knew there had to be some connection. I didn't really put two & two together until recently.

I kept thinking about how much my son's symptoms and my symptoms were alike. I did some research on the internet and there it was.

I have an appt w/my rheumy on Mon. Think I'll run this by him.

If you go to that link add-fibromyalgia org you'll pull up some interesting info.

Have you tried Straterra?

Thanks for responding.

Hugs,
    Nikki
  5. Nikki

Nikki Member

Boy, I remember those days. I helped my husband start his own business; worked with him for 15 yrs; then went back to LSU to get my paralegal degree - there I graduated with a 4.0.

I was interviewed by a large law firm after graduating. Then, I managed, organized, created a data base, etc., for hundreds of class action lawsuits against a very large petro-chemical firm.

Now, (even tho I'm a caregiver for my mom) I can't even manage simple tasks. It's so frustating for both me and my husband. Our lives were literally turned upside down.

But, I have no intention of giving up. The more I research, the more I learn.

Glad you don't have ADD.

Wishing you good health.

Hugs,
    Nikki

6. rachel432

rachel432 New Member

i was dx'd with add and bipolar then 2yrs later with fm. i don't know if they are all connected but my doctors have tried to use meds that will help both to cut down on the amount of meds that i will have to take a day.

the fact that you mentioned your mother and your son both having psych dx's is very common as that is proven to run in families. my grandfather, greatgrandfather and 1 aunt all were depressed, and one of my cousin's has add. i however am the only person in the family with fm.

rachel
  7. Nikki

Nikki Member

I think that there is a link between all 3; this has to be a neurotransmitter problem.

Recently when I went in to see my PCP. I mentioned how tired & sleepy I was all the time. He checked some of the drugs my rheumy is rx'g and told me that Lyrica definitely has that side effect. I believe cymbalta does, too; and of course the propanolol I take for my MVP syndrome.

So it seems you can't fix one problem w/o another cropping up. UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wishing you good health.

Hugs,
    Nikki
  8. rachel432

rachel432 New Member

nikki
    there may be a link between the three problems. i think i'm going to start a thread asking how many of us also have psych dx's also.

the other thing is several months ago there was threads about fm and problems with the hypothalamus in your brain. i happen to have what the dr's call an "unidentified bright spot" in that area on mri's. they can't biopsy it because of where it is but it could possibly be the root of all the health problems i have. several other members here also have unidentified spots in there brains. it can't be just a coincidence.

rachel
  9. Nikki

Nikki Member

That's a good idea.

I had my drs. appt yesterday, and I asked him about ADD and FMS. He said I didn't have ADD. He just said that most Fibro patients had very similar symptoms to ADD.
    And, in my case that's probably true. None of my ADD symptoms reared their ugly little heads until after I was dx'd.

I might not have ADD, but I still believe there is some connection to my mom's bi-polar, my FMS, and my son's ADHD. My son was never even considered ADD when he was a child . . . however, looking back I do see that he had some problems w/organizational skills. He was never a problem child in school or at home. But, he was my dreamer. He did manage to graduate from college with fairly decent grades.

We did use to call my mom "The General." But that was always behind her back . . . tee, hee. She could work circles around anyone. She stayed in that manic stage for a long time. Then, in 1973 she went into a bad depression. Then up, the down. She never leveled off.
    Finally, got her dx, was put on litium and elavil.

Somehow, I Believe this gene was passed down. Her father was an alcoholic.

my keyboard is acting up..

10. Nikki

Nikki Member

So, your pain and confusion went away after taking Ritalin? I have to reconsider what my dr. told me. I don't believe he would rx anything like that after what he told me, but that doesn't stop me from seeing a psychiatrist or psychologist for another dx.

As I said earlier, I'm now a caregiver for my mom who is blind, bi-polar, depression, and alzheimers. I am so close to her (I'm an only child) and I feel her pain - literally.

When my husband and I vacation, I usually get better, so, I have to believe a lot of this is attributed to stress.
    I began having pain after my dad died unexpectly, my MIL died 6 days later, my only nephew was killed in car accident, then my FIL began suffering - he had lung cancer; mom's problems became my prblems.

Anway - this is all vey inteesting.

HUGS<
    nikki

11. romanshopper

romanshopper New Member

Mirapex did work for me and I got better - but it quit working and when I tried to bump the dose up I started seeing things.
  12. Nikki

Nikki Member

Sorry - I tried to remember what you had said instead of printing out your answer.

I just didn't retain what you said. Thanks for clearing that up.

Ugh! I just hate that. I get very embarrassed when this happens to me outside this board. Thank goodness for the board . . . don't know where else I can do dumb things, and people understand where you're coming from.

Hugs,
    Nikki

13. Nikki

Nikki Member

Thanks for responding - I'll google mirapex and see what it says.

Hugs,
    Nikki
  14. Dixie_Amazon

Dixie_Amazon Member

I have been diagnosed with ADD. Adderall helped but I am currently off it. I am going to ask my doc about Concerta it is supposed to have fewer side effects than Adderall when it wears off. I would be interested in trying Provigil too.