Please read:regarding high acidity and blood clumping...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by neen85, Aug 9, 2005.

1. neen85

neen85 New Member

I have typed out the results of my "live blood analysis" I had done a while back.(IT IS ON CFS SHOCKER # 8!!!) Alot of my problems seem to come from the high amount of acid in my body and coagulated blood due to undigested protien.

I have heard many people speak of strange symptoms associated with high acidity in the book I bought by Christopher Vasey,N.D. called "The Acid-Alkaline Diet"for optimum Health.
    Apparently this is part of the reason alot of my naturopathic endeavors weren't as successful as they could have been. It is worth a look.
    (LIMITED)Symptoms of High acidity:Heaviness in limbs,lower body temp, sudden feelings of inability to cope,sudden loss of energy after acidic meal,very pale face due to capillary contraction,eyes tear easily and are sensitive to cold and /or smoke,inflamed/sensitive gums,cracks at corners of mouth,mouth ulcers,irritation on throat or tonsils that leads to recurring infections

acid regurgitation,diarrhea attacks that expel acid,anal fistula or cracking,burning or irritation in bladder or urethra,runny nose,prone to chills,angina,allergic tendencies,acidic sweat,dry skin
    skin splits and cracks between fingers and at fingernails,hives,pimples,thin splitting nails,DULL HAIR THAT FALLS OUT IN NOTICABLE QUANTITIES,leg cramps and spasms,low bp,poor circulation,joint hyperlaxity,sciatica,migrant joint pains,poor gland function,swelling itching of uterus or vulva.....

there are alot more....that just gives you an idea. Please read the other post. The lady that did my read was excellent. SHe spent over an hour with me and I have a tape of my live analysis. They didn't try to push alot of supplements on me......I have,after research,decided to dtay on enxymes and alter my diet according to my blood type,which is A-. Daneen
    [This Message was Edited on 08/10/2005]
  2. helpeachother

helpeachother New Member

Hi Daneen, do you know of an accurate way to test the ph of the body? Acid vs base. Is this related to the book you mentioned above? Thanks. Peace
  3. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

Doctors can order urine tests, but will only be concerned if your urine ph is extraordinarily low. the average populace, here in N. America where diet tends to be substandard tends to run an average ph of 6.5- 7.0 Optimal is 7.4, a terminal cancer patient will be 4.5 or lower

Ph strips can be bought in pharmas and I bought mine at my env. docs, I'm sure the FFC's and alternative docs and health stores have them too. Some medicos don't think this is accurate enough, but alternative practitioners most certainly do. It is very easy to test saliva.

I've compared myself, who squeaks up to 6.4 in a good hour, to my healthy fiance. He's optimal, unless he's just had a beer. When I'm feeling the sickest, I'm around 6 give or take. They seem to be quite accurate and show marked fluctuations, like after meals when the ph will go right up. this is called the alkaline cascade. I did Ron and I after a dairy meal, which alkalizes, he was a lovely blue 8 and I went all the way up near 7 (woo hoo, still not optimal even after alkalizing foods).

I'm quite impressed w/ them, they were about $12 for a roll w/ a little colour chart, which should last some time.

Jeanne
  4. neen85

neen85 New Member

THE CFS SHOCKER #8 POST! Sorry everyone! Guess I got so engrossed with typing in info from my test manually,then info from the 2 books also.....wanted to pick out the best info for everyone.

Go check it out! I included all of the info/possible causes on the sheet....mine were most likely due to digestive problems associated with blood type(a-)and stress (lousy doctors,financial,undiagnosed lyme for 16 1/2 yrs).
    Daneen
  5. neen85

neen85 New Member

NOw that I have properly directed you to "cfs shocker #8" for the rest of the story...scroll to the bottom....you can read more about how mine was detected. The $45 I paid for "live blood analysis" was probably the best money I have spent in my 17+ yeats of being ill.

I found out more about my body and health in that one hour than all of the previous years combined and for less money!
    Like I said,I haven't gotten much into the book because of my eye,and I will be getting a shot or 2 directly into my eyeball Tuesday,so may not do much reading.

As I have skipped around in the book though,I found it to be thourough. It explains lemon juice turns from an acid once it hits the body,but you may not have the metabolism to change it.....it tells you how to test for this.
    I would get the book for starters,also read the little piece in "First". Daneen
  6. neen85

neen85 New Member

Bumping ...Daneen
  7. neen85

neen85 New Member

I will probably refer back to your coments after I get testing strips when I return to the city Tuesday for my eye injection. Last time I didn't expect the laser treatment and had to cover up,as I could sunburn just walking to the car.

They also had me in "huge" sunglasses that fit over my regular glasses (you've seen 'em)and everything was orange,so I really couldn't see well in the "Whole Foods" store so only went after what I knew. The whole front of the store was windows,so I had the bucket hat the eye doc (complete with logo) gave me and had to keep my head down.
    Thanks again! Daneen
  8. pepper

pepper New Member

I had live blood cell analysis done a couple of times too and my blood was very clumpy. I will have to check the results to see if anything was mentioned about acidity. I know that they both saw candida on the slides.

I have most of the symptoms of acidity that you listed and it seems to be something that we should be investigating. I will check with my naturopath about those strips.

My blood type is O neg. and the second guy who did the live blood cell analysis wanted me to go on the Blood Type Diet. I bought the book but found eating according to blood type very difficult, especially since my DH was also tested and is B pos! Maybe I should look into this again. Hmmm.

Thanks for this post.

Pepper
  9. neen85

neen85 New Member

Go check out that little "FIRST" magazine for Women. I think the article is on pg 32. It has alot of info. There are alot of ideas for lowering your acidity. I think the digestion problems with the meat and stress were how it got so high for me in the first place.

I can't believe it ,but the brother of the lady that wrote "Eat Right For Your Blood Type" lives in my very small town in Kansas! His ex-wife used to be my PCA. I think she has a book out for each blood type now.

I cut out red meat,especially pork,which I didn't digest at all. I am eating alot of unsweetened coconut and will start a "drink powder" (the elderberry one)with added baking soda tomorrow. I think this is one of the main thing s holding me back. The other book I suggested is excellent too! Daneen
  10. pepper

pepper New Member

and I have a question. How would I find a copy of that magazine? Which month is it?

Thanks!
    Pepper
  11. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

I'm glad you started a thread on this, I meant to, but...

Here's a decend abc on ph :

Saliva PH test
    The Saliva PH test is a simple test you can do to measure your susceptibility to cancer, heart disease, osteoporosis, arthritis, and many other degenerative diseases.
    How to Perform the Saliva pH Test

First, you must wait at least 2 hours after eating. Fill your mouth with saliva and then swallow it. Repeat this step to help ensure that your saliva is clean. Then the third time, put some of your saliva onto the pH paper.
    The pH paper should turn blue. This indicates that your saliva is slightly alkaline at a healthy pH of 7.4. If it is not blue, compare the color with the chart that comes with the pH paper. If your saliva is acid (below pH of 7.0) wait two hours and repeat the test.

Where to Get pH Paper

Some health food stores and pharmacies stock pH paper. What you are looking for is narrow range pH paper measuring pH 4.5 to 7.5 or pH 4.5 to 8.5. These pH strips to measure acid/alkaline balance belong in every family medicine kit, right beside the thermometer to measure body temperature.

Saliva pH and Cancer

"When healthy, the pH of blood is 7.4, the pH of spinal fluid is 7.4, and the pH of saliva is 7.4. Thus the pH of saliva parallels the extra cellular fluid...pH test of saliva represents the most consistent and most definitive physical sign of the ionic calcium deficiency syndrome...The pH of the non-deficient and healthy person is in the 7.5 (dark blue) to 7.1 (blue) slightly alkaline range. The range from 6.5 (blue-green) which is weakly acidic to 4.5 (light yellow) which is strongly acidic represents states from mildly deficient to strongly deficient, respectively. Most children are dark blue, a pH of 7.5. Over half of adults are green-yellow, a pH of 6.5 or lower, reflecting the calcium deficiency of aging and lifestyle defects. Cancer patients are usually a bright yellow, a pH of 4.5, especially when terminal." The Calcium Factor: The Scientific Secret of Health and Youth, by Robert R. Barefoot and Carl J. Reich.

Virtually all degenerative diseases, including cancer, heart disease, osteoporosis, arthritis, kidney and gall stones, and tooth decay are associated with excess acidity in the body. While the body does have a homeostatic mechanism which maintains a constant pH 7.4 in the blood, this mechanism works by depositing and withdrawing acid and alkaline minerals from other locations including the bones, soft tissues, body fluids and saliva. Therefore, the pH of these other tissues can fluctuate greatly. The pH of saliva offers us a window through which we can see the overall pH balance in our bodies.

Cancer cannot exist in an alkaline environment. All forms of arthritis are associated with excess acidity. Acid in the body dissolves both teeth and bones. Whatever health situation you are faced with, you can monitor your progress toward a proper acid/alkaline balance by testing your saliva pH.
    What does "Acid" and "Alkaline" mean?

Water (H2O) ionizes into hydrogen (H+) and hydroxyl (OH-) ions. When these ions are in equal proportions, the pH is a neutral 7. When there are more H+ ions than OH- ions then the water is said to be "acid". If OH- ions outnumber the H+ ions then the water is said to be "alkaline". The pH scale goes from 0 to 14 and is logarithmic, which means that each step is ten times the previous. In other words, a pH of 4.5 is 10 times more acid than 5.5, 100 times more acid than 6.5 and 1,000 times more acid than 7.5.
    Acid and Alkaline Minerals and Foods

Minerals with a negative electrical charge are attracted to the H+ ion. These are called acid minerals. Acid minerals include: chlorine (Cl-), sulfur (S-), phosphorus (P-), and they form hydrochloric acid (HCl), sulfuric acid (H2SO4), and phosphoric acid (H3PO4). Minerals with a positive electrical charge are attracted to the negatively charged OH- ion. These are called alkaline minerals. Nutritionally important alkaline minerals include calcium (Ca+), potassiumicon (K+), magnesium (Mg+), and sodium (Na+). To determine if a food is acid or alkaline, it is burned and the ash is mixed with water. If the solution is acid or alkaline then the food is called acid or alkaline. Ash is the mineral content of the food.
    Ways to Restore Acid/Alkaline Balance in Your Body

If your saliva is too acid you would benefit from increasing the alkalinity of your body. Ways to do this include:
    1. Eat mostly alkaline foods.

The general "rule of thumb" is to eat 20% acid foods and 80% alkaline foods. Avoid the "strongly acid" foods.

Strongly Acid:meat, fish, soft drinks

Mild Acid: grains, legumes, nuts

Mild Alkaline: fruits, vegetables, berries, dairy

Strongly Alkaline: green leafy vegetables, brocoli, spinach
    2. Supplement your diet with alkaline minerals.

Salts of the alkaline minerals cesium, rubidium and potassiumicon have been found by Dr. Brewer to be particularly effective in fighting cancer. Dr. Gerson, founder of the Gerson cancer therapy, " A Cancer Therapy: Results of Fifty Cases and the Cure of Advanced Cancer " (page 246) gave his patients a 10% potassium solution. Potassium tablets are commonly available. Potassium bicarbonate (KHCO3) can be used as a substitute for sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) when baking. You might try mixing a teaspoon of potassium bicarbonate with water and drinking it before going to bed each evening.

Another good source of information on the body ph problem is essence-of-life.com.
    3. Supplement your diet with freshly made fruit and vegetable juices.
    As a treatment for cancer, some doctors recommend one 8 oz glass per hour for every waking hour of the day. We could never eat the amount of nutrition we drink with these juices.
    4. Learn and practice Transcendental Meditation (TM).
    Trancendental Meditation is a non-dietary way to increase the alkalinity of your body. Trancendental Meditation gives a level of rest twice as deep as that of sleep and is an effective antidote to stress. Stress is insidious because it affects us 24 hours each day. Stress causes the heart to beat too fast, the muscles to be too tense, the entire metabolism to be too fast.

Maharishi Mahesh Yogi

Metabolic waste products are acids (lactic acid, uric acid, etc.), which is one reason why dissolving stress increases the alkalinity of the body. The effectiveness of TM is evidenced by a 53% reduction in overall health care costs and a 55% reduction in cancer. (Psychosomatic Medicine 49 (1987): 493-507, American Journal of Managed Care Volume 3, Number 1, (1997): 135-144)
  12. helpeachother

helpeachother New Member

THANKS to Daneen and all other friends on acidy testing, I will get going with it. The reason I asked is that about 6 years ago (real fast reaction time on my part) i was visiting a chiro etc. dr who had just gotten a "new" testing kit for ph. He was a nice fellow, but never came up with any answers for me personally, (except two: Iosol & adrenal massage). Anyway, he did this ph test on me and figured it was broken because I registered so highly acid.

So now I'm reading this string (which is great) and the lemon juice component of the acidity is mentioned. Another dull jolt in my lame brain beacause I have chronic (calcium oxylate) kidney stones and the urologist told me " A lemon a day keeps the urologist away! " so i have been.....

Anyway, sorry to ramble and thanks for all the info and certainly will check out the other string mentioned. Peace
  13. neen85

neen85 New Member

Pepper-The "First" magazien is a Women's magazine. I got my copy (Aug issue-15th,I believe) at Country Mart Groc. Store at the checkout. The cover is almost all blue and has a blondish lady on the front and BIG letters in bright neon orange "FEELING TIRED?"

Under that it talks about altering pH. That is where I got alot of great info for getting started. I just happened on the smaller book by the naturopath while at Barnes and Noble.

Jeanne-Thanks for all the great info! I need all the help I can get and I am sure everyone else will appreciate it also! Bless you!

Stormy-Thanks also! I will check out your thread! I am anxious to get this kicked and under controll and the more info the better!
    Helpeachother-be sure you have the metabolism that can convert the lemon juice (the bmall book from Barnes and Noble explains that). Interesting story about the chiro thinking his equipment was broken. What an eye opener!!
    You guys have really helped with your responses.....it is so nice to have friends with great info/stories! Daneen
  14. tansy

tansy New Member

getting blood ph right can work.

I studied and qualified in clinical nutrition many years ago, since then theories have constantly changed or evolved. Like most other areas of health no one size fits all. There is no doubt blood group typing can work, it can also be a good starting point.

We are all unique in our genetics and so the best diet for each of us will vary even within blood groups. For instance I do best on a balanced diet, even more so since making some progress, the alkaline diet does not suit me because it relies too much on foods that still have an adverse effect upon me for various reasons. I have also noticed that there are days when I do better on more complex carbs and others when I have need to keep my carb intake down - this is when I eat lots of low carb veggies.

Some alkaline diets are similar to vegetarian and vegan diets. It was observed many years ago that whilst these worked well to start with ie people reported feeling calmer and good physically; later on this could be replaced with fatigue, lethargy, weight gain and low resistance. An alkaline diet works well short term but a more balanced acid/alkaline maintenance diet may be more suitable long term.

I will post a brief article on metabolic typing (as against blood type diets) below as a FYI, rather than as a distraction from the possible health benefits of an alkaline diet.

love, Tansy

[This Message was Edited on 08/12/2005]
  15. tansy

tansy New Member

Eat for Your Metabolic Type Not for Your Blood Type
    by Harold J. Kristal, D.D.S. with Jessica A. Lewis

In recent Townsend Letter articles, I have outlined the benefits of eating a diet keyed to metabolic type. No one diet is ideal for everyone. What is healthful for one person may be inadequate or even harmful for another. When we recommend foods and supplements, it is crucial to address the patient's individual biochemistry. By testing thoroughly to determine each client's metabolic type, my associates and I are able to determine which foods and supplements will be beneficial for that person, and which will be useless or worse.

To properly explain the usefulness of metabolic typing, I must briefly discuss the crucial role of blood pH. The ideal venous pH is 7.461. At this level, the body most efficiently absorbs and utilizes nutrients. A higher or lower pH means the blood is too alkaline or too acid for optimal functioning. Mal absorption and poor utilization of nutrients can lead to an extremely broad array of symptoms, from fatigue and allergies to overweight and high blood pressure. The further the blood deviates from its ideal pH level, the more severe the symptoms become. When the blood moves to its ideal pH level, the body comes into balance and these symptoms generally abate or disappear altogether. The key to managing the blood pH lies in knowing the individual's metabolic type.

There are five basic metabolic types. Two of these tend to be too acid, and need foods that will help move their blood pH towards the alkaline. Two tend to be too alkaline, and need foods to make them more acid. One type tends to be fairly close to the center, yet may need fine-tuning to move to the ideal level.

Why not simply determine the patient's blood pH and prescribe foods accordingly? Because even if we know, for example, that the blood is too acid, we still don't know which foods will make it more alkaline. The somewhat surprising reason for this is that any given food may be either alkalinizing or acidifying, depending on the metabolic type of the person ingesting it. Before we can be certain which foods (and supplements) a patient needs, we must know his or her metabolic type.

Recently, there has been a great deal of excitement about another way to eat for your type: eating for your blood type, as described in the work of Peter d'Adamo. This system is very appealing, at least in part because it is so easy to use: once you know your blood type, you simply follow the diet for that type outlined in d'Adamo's book.

According to d'Adamo's interesting theory, the various human blood types evolved over time, and each corresponds to a phase of human development, and therefore to the dietary patterns of that period. The first blood type to evolve was type O, which was the blood type of early nomadic humans, hunter-gatherers whose diet included as much meat as they could catch.

Then, about fifteen thousand years ago, certain humans learned to grow crops. They settled, became agrarian, and shifted to a more vegetarian, grain-based diet. These peoples evolved blood type A. Further evolution and mingling produced the other two types, B and AB. According to the theory, people with blood type O will function best by eating a lot of meat, while blood type A's will be healthiest when eating a mainly vegetarian diet, and so on.

This makes a great deal of sense. The trouble is, it doesn't work.

In my practice I see many type O's who thrive on a meat-based diet. But I also see many type O's who have become unwell on such a diet, and actually need a mainly vegetarian diet in order to feel their best. Conversely, I often see type A's who need to eat a lot of fat and meat to achieve optimal health. Other researchers and practitioners report the same experience: blood type is an unreliable indicator of dietary needs. Robert Crahon, a renowned nutritionist in Boulder, Colorado, has concluded that you cannot simply eat for your blood type.

Bill Wolcott of Winthrop, Washington, who has created the Healthexcel program, states that you cannot rely on blood type to determine your most healthful diet and supplements. Dr. Guy Schenker, a chiropractor who runs the Nutrispect Company, is a renowned writer and publishes a monthly newsletter. He too is convinced that "eat for your blood type" is an erroneous prescription. The successes are balanced by too many failures. To be useful, the theory must produce consistent results.

Why does eating for blood type work for some and fail utterly for others? It is impossible to know for certain, but I conjecture that the type O of today is very different from the type O of sixty thousand years ago. At that time, presumably, all humans were type O, and all had evolved to utilize the hunter-gatherer diet. Then one population group split off, adapted to an agrarian diet, and developed type A blood.

At this point, each population group was homogeneous, and blood type was probably a reliable indicator of dietary needs. Since that time, I would suggest, human population groups have mingled, creating a very mixed gene pool. Each individual still has one of the four major blood types, but may have characteristics of all four types, passed on with the genes of parents and grandparents. Therefore, the individual physiology may contain elements found in various blood types, in unique combination. One Type O could have a very different metabolism, and dietary profile, from another. Though it is pure conjecture, this is one theory that could help to explain the inconsistency of results from "eating for your blood type."

Eating for your metabolic type is not quite so easy to use - it requires a series of tests to determine type - but the consistent results make it worth the extra trouble. In order to efficiently determine each patient's metabolic type, Bill Wolcott and I have developed a series of tests which can be completed in one office visit. Before the visit, the client is asked to complete a questionnaire which includes both physical and psychological characteristics which are linked to metabolic type.

In the office, we take physiological readings, including blood glucose level, pulse, respiratory rate, blood pressure, and several others. In addition, we ask for the patient's subjective experience of well being, energy level, hunger, etc. We then give the patient a high glucose drink. We do this in order to challenge the system, and measure its reactions. We repeat the physiological tests and the subjective questions at specific intervals over the course of the visit. The entire process takes about two hours, and the results, combined with our extensive research data, allow us to determine each patient's metabolic type, with 80% accuracy on the first visit. Further testing, including a protein challenge I have recently developed, helps us to classify the 20% of patients who yield ambiguous results from the standard series of tests.
  16. neen85

neen85 New Member

I fully agree with the fact that the whole set-up needs to be very individual-based! I know that on the day I tested I was nauseated and had a headache so the only thing I had to eat was abite of pork.

On the dried blood exam my big white spots of dried pork were worse than her "bad example" in her big book of good to bad examples.

Obviously,I don't digest it,and have decided it has to go based on that fact and also the fact that it has more parasites in it than other meats,or so I was told.

I did wonder if I would be strict at first then add in foods after I got my acidity leveled out after a while.

The small book did mention that you had to figure out if you had the metabolic type to convert the lemon juice/water to alkaline in the body before you started drinking it and assuming you were doing yourself some good.

Thanks again Tansy! As always,I really appreciate you! Please check your E-mail today. Daneen
  17. Prunella

Prunella New Member

I noticed that you get chronic calcium oxalated kidney stones. My brother and my dad get kidney stones and I get vulvodynia and gum pain. These have all been linked to eating foods high in oxalates. I avoid these problems by avoiding foods high in oxalates and taking calcium citrate when I do eat them.

There is a website about kdiney stones at ohf.org. Go to the search icon and type in "Oxalate Content of Food". This will take you to a list.

Also the Vulvar Pain Foundation is helpful. Thye have a lsit but not on their website.

I love your name. I hope I helped you.

Also, thanks Daneen for starting this informative thread.
  18. neen85

neen85 New Member

and consider as a source of problems. It can never be simple and straightforward can it? I have a friend with vulvar pain and she has educated me about it.

I have looked over the "list of symptoms" in "The Acid-Alkaline Diet" for Optimum Health,by Christopher Vasey,N.D,I can't remember if I included them in my partial list or not in the post above:
    inflamed sensitive gums
    kidney and bladder stones
    itching,swelling,inflammation of the vulva or uterus

I guess the key is deciding if it is oxalates,acid or BOTH!
    Thanks for the added info Prunella! Daneen
  19. Prunella

Prunella New Member

20. neen85

neen85 New Member