Please read this!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Tricia, Dec 31, 2002.

1. Tricia

Tricia New Member

Hi everyone,
    I am fairly new here. I went to my primary care Dr. yesterday because all the muscles in the back of my neck were contracted and I could barely move because of the pain. He is sending me to a Rheumy in Feb. because I told him I had been diagnosed with fibro back in 86 but it was mild and I could handle it without Dr's or meds. My fibro has recently flaired up and is getting so bad I haven't been able to work. On the report he put down cervical sprain as diagnosis? Why do you think he would do that when I told him it was my fibro acting up. I think he put this down to justfy giving me pain meds!!!!
    [This Message was Edited on 12/31/2002]
  2. Jaysea

Jaysea New Member

Either your MD doesn't believe FMS exists ( Like alot of close-minded MDs) or he thinks your workplace wouldn't acccept FMS as a good reason for you being off work. Perhaps he thinks it would be easier for you to get worker's compensation with the cervical sprain diagnosis ?
  3. healing

healing New Member

you really do have a cervical sprain! Just because we have FMS doesn't mean we don't get other things too. I have degenerated discs in my neck that cause me a lot of pain; sometimes it's hard to distinguish from the fibro, but the things that help the fibro don't help that pain. I thought it was my fibro, but my doc indeed did know better.
  4. coyote

coyote New Member

I have three fused vertebrae in my neck that I was born with. The pain from this is not related to having fibro. I have found acupuncture, massage and physical therapy all to be helpful in relieving the pain.
    Doctors do sometimes put down a Dx that the insurance company or whoever will react more favorably to. Ask him about it. It might be helpful to know what the reason was.
  5. pearls

pearls New Member

Make sure you talk to the rheumatologist about this. We do get other things besides fibromyalgia. For instance, I have fibromyalgia, sleep apnea and probably carpal tunnel syndrome and some kind of arthritis. I'm getting those last two checked out. It is easy to confuse these other things with the fibromyalgia one alreay has. In addition, I'm supposed to have asthema, but I'm not sure the diagnosis for that was correct.

Another thing. Just because you were diagnosed with fibromyalgia in 86 does not necessairly mean the diagnosis was correct. Doctors do make mistakes as I suspect was made about me regarding the asthema. Fibromyalgia is a very difficult disease to diagnose and many other things must be ruled out before the diagnosis of fibromyalgia is made. In my own experience, I first had to have extensive testing done by a pulmonologist, two cardiologists, a gastroenterologist, and three radiologists, not to mention a number of blood tests. Your doctor has to see you over a period of months. A definitive test does not yet exist for fibromyalgia. Also, I think we need to be very careful about suspecting incompetence or close-mindedness in a doctor simply because he may doubt a diagnosis of fibromyalgia.

Which brings me to this question: Is it possible to have fibromyalgia in which the case is so mild a doctor is not needed? If that is so, then how does a doctor make such a diagnosis? On what does he base his decision?
  6. teach6

teach6 New Member

Even when I went to him and told the nurse I was having difficulty breathing and I was sure it was caused by NMH he wrote my dx down as hyperventilation. I argued hard with him about it because I've had problems with hyperventilating before and this was not the same thing, by any way, shape, or form. But he wouldn't listen to me.

That's why I now have a new PCP who I like a lot, along with my CFIDS/FM doc who is fantastic. In the past year I have rebuilt my medical team almost completely. About the only constants are my Ob-gyn, whom I've been with for over 24 years, and was one of his first patients, and my therapist. They both believed me when I kept saying there was something physically wrong with me. All the others chalked it all up to depression and anxiety.

Barbara