Please Report Spammers

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Thank you all so very much for helping to keep our boards spam free. It helps the mods and admin do our jobs. I also want to warn everyone from clicking on the embedded links in blue. Most are likely harmless but clicking on someone's blog or commercial site can place malware on a computer and infect it with a vicious virus.

Thank you again and, please, practice safe use of all websites. Your help keeps this one safer for us all.

Love, Mikie
  2. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

I agree, our members do a great job reporting inappropriate posts and spam. Thanks to everyone for helping keep our forum safe and a great place to support each other.

Thanks for the reminder, Mikie.
  3. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Member

Sometimes it's hard to know whether someone is spamming or it is a legitimate post. If they imbed the link in the message I always err on the side that it's probably spam. Especially when it is a first time poster.
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It IS smart to err on the side of spam. If something seems irresistibly interesting, do a safe search for it online instead of clicking on the one embedded in a post. We are able to mention brand names of products we like but not links to the websites. The fact that someone's first, or one and only, post is spam is another red flag against clicking. It could be anyone selling anything or anyone with an agenda, neither of which we need here.

I was hacked with one of the worst viruses not too long ago. I did not get it here; it seems I opened an unsafe website. The virus locked up my computer and demanded money sent online to "unlock" it. I removed my battery with the computer on and turned the computer off and back on again. It started up and I used "safe mode" to boot it. I restored it, on the control panel, to a date prior to when it was infected and it worked. This virus is rampant and seems to come from some Third-World country. They keep updating the virus as fast as anti-viral software can keep up. This is a bit off the topic of practicing safe computing here on our website but I think it's worth mentioning in general.

Love, Mikie
  5. Darrae

Darrae Member

Hey! Hi! I've been incommunicado over the last week. Cold weather stress caused a semi-mild flare. Is there a Porchlight is on 683 yet? I didn't see it in the forum selections.

I got "hacked" a while back and acquired a nasty Trojan virus that was hard to shake. Thank goodness I'd kept my guest account, (which is never used since my son moved away from home), open. It was the only salvation I had. I was only able to get into my computer to alleviate the problem via that account. My administrator account was totally disabled.

Dar
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

We're now up to Volume 685! How time flies...

Love, Mikie
  7. Soul*

Soul* Active Member

If reporting possible spam means your own on topic posts get deleted as a punishment I'm not going to report anyone anymore.

I don't know what happened but after to be on the safe side I reported the CD post so you all could make sure it wasn't a hacker abusing your account since the post was so different then the normal ProHealth posts the whole thread where I posted my experience about oil pulling that was asked for by others has been deleted? I find it very strange...

If someone feels I made a mistake, I would like to hear that, I just report to be on the safe side, not to be nasty with someone. It would be nice just to be adressed to instead of having valuable on topic information wiped out without a warning or a clue what I did wrong??

I would much appreciate it if someone could explain what happened here because it makes me feel hesistant to share anything anymore. If me or my posts are not welcome here for whatever reason I would like to be told so so that I either know what not to do anymore or to simply move on if this is not the place where you want me to be.
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  8. Soul*

Soul* Active Member

I reposted it without any links Leah. It was a 2008 forum thread by jkennedy (Oil pulling oll: What results are people getting) that only got removed after I posted to it for several days in a row sharing my experience, and I only repeated what others already posted with one link to helpful information outside that the origional poster mentioned. So I don't know what is going on but I'm just going to wait and see untill I hear back from Admins. I'm sure there will be an explanation for it. The admin that was online when I noticed didn't reply back to my personal message to her so I don't know what is going on. We'll see. Thanks for your care, not going anywhere soon unless they want me to leave for some reason still unknown to me and let me know.
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Soul,

I'm sorry about your experience. I don't know what happened. I edited one post and, if memory serves, removed another due to links to commercial websites. When I went back, the entire thread was gone, even though I didn't remove the original post. I was having problems with the website that day. I have explained to Admin. what happened from my end of things. Every once in a while, things happen which I can't explain. It is against the rules to put URL links in our posts which lead to commercial websites selling products. Those are the kinds of spam posts we do not want on the forums. If one of those posts is the original post, I try to edit it so the entire thread doesn't disappear. This was not the case in in oil pulling thread. I am at a loss as to what happened and again apologize that it has upset you.

Love, Mikie
  10. Soul*

Soul* Active Member

Mikie if you wheren't working on that particular thread I'm sure it isn't related. That's why I thought the ProHealth post might be spam, it seemed to be so out of place and the site is a selling site. It was Holly who was on when I noticed the thread had been deleted.

I checked the link that was on that thread that was removed and it isn't a commercial website. On the contrary. They only share information independent of products because not all commercial websites are reliable sources of information, so that couldn't have been the reason either.

It must have been shortly after the Prohealth CD post appeared as that was the most recent post. No worries, it doesn't seem to be related to what happened to you at all unless you where working on that particular thread. I hope one of the admins can clarify what happened, this is the first time to me posts just disappeared on an existing thread so I'm sure there is an explanation for it. And since the CD post is still around I take it that IS legit and the ProHealth poster probably knows what happened.
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Soul. E-mailed with Holly and she is reinstating that post. Neither of us knows what happened but I always include a comment when I remove a post and there was no comment so we still don't know what happened. In any case, I think it's been fixed and I appreciate your letting us know about it.

Love, Mikie
    Soul* likes this.
  12. Soul*

Soul* Active Member

Yes Holly replied to my message saying it got hidden for one or the other reason probably per mistake, so it sounds very much like the post you where working on after all.

Since that would explain exactly what you mentioned that your thread disappeared (it got hidden). And it exactly matches with what you mentioned that you edited one post and removed the other. I see the link DID get removed with a comment in the original posters post on thursday 5:14 pm when you where on and that my initial post where I only repeated that very same link (because of the valuable information) got deleted completely. The other links that I posted in that post where all to forumposts and the search form result on ProHealth only, to make it easier for those who have a hard time using the search function but still would like to read all ProHealth forum posts on oil pulling, nothing else so it is a bit strange that that one got deleted.

Even that original posters site that I reposted I did not recognize as being commercial since they aren't selling any products just discussing peoples experiences of home remedies and answering peoples questions independitly of the manufacturors and sellers or brands etc and had a very very broad FAQ and very clear discription so seemed like clean and good information to share. But I guess it was identified as a commercial site after all though had been posted there since 2008.

Well I guess that solves this mystery. I do apprecciate to hear when I do something wrong in ProHealths/Admins/Moderaters view or even when I unintenditly may offend someone. Thanks.
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  13. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Soul*,

I don't remember the details of that whole mess but, sometimes, I will click on a URL to find an informational website but one which allows advertising for products, some competing with PH's. So, while the website itself isn't selling anything, they allow sellers to advertise on their sites. Again, I can't remember whether this was the case with this particular situations but just mentioning it to be aware of before posting URL's. Also again, sorry if this caused stress for anyone.

Love, Mikie
  14. Soul*

Soul* Active Member

Thanks Mikie, I have ad block so I don't normally see ads, only if they built advertisements into the site itself that are static, like the banner in this one, and that they didn't have. That is a good thing to be aware of. Many sites have google adbar. And that simply shows things on the basis of your own search history and location. That I won't see because of the blocker, when I disabled it it showed me an ad for tapistry. I'll just not post or repost any url's anymore to be on the safe side. Or if I'm absolutely sure they are to ProHealth will post them in a seperate post from where I share my personal experience so one doesn't cause the other to be deleted.
  15. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Member

The spamming fools sure have been busy lately!!! :mad:
  16. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Yes, spammers have been busy lately. When I sign in, if there are no reports, I'm relieved. One day, there were four or five.

I think if we want to direct people to a website, we can simply mention the name of the website without giving the URL. People can find it on their own. Most of the spammers here are people wanting to get people to their blogs or websites or are selling something. Most of them just joined the day the spam appears and they only have one post. Pretty easy to tell what they are up to.

Thanks, everyone, for being so vigilant in spotting these guys.

Love, Mikie
  17. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Thanks for all the continued reporting of spammers. There sure have been many showing up here. I just removed 8 messages that were spam. I usually check in at least twice daily and usually find something has been reported more often than not.

It's good to know that they are spotted quickly and reported by our members so we can remove them asap.

Keep up the good work! We all want the ProHealth forums to remain a safe place.
  18. maps1

maps1 Member

19. maps1

maps1 Member

Hi NANNIE46 Long time since I have been here so thought I would check in with you first to make sure I don't get kicked off as a spammer lol. Really glad to see you are doing so well. having a little trouble finding my way around here.
  20. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

If it weren't for our wonderful members, our task to keep our website safe would overwhelm us. Thank you all so very much and, Diane, thank you for your kindness.

Love, Mikie