Please share your favourite scriptures.

Discussion in 'Spirituality/Worship' started by Sweetpotatoe, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Sweetpotatoe

Sweetpotatoe New Member

The word of God is so powerful, the book of the Living God gives us knowledge, wisdom, conviction, truth and hope, the List is endless!!
    Feel free to share your favourite scripture, Please share how they have helped you, helped others, came to pass, anything that will give us hope. All glory to God.

I'll add some later. Is anyone interested in a bible study here? I can post a study and see how it goes?.

sweetpotatoe.
  2. windblade

windblade Active Member

Yes, I would like to be a part of this too.

One scripture that has been a lifeline for me is "Let the day's own trouble be sufficient for the day." Matthew 6:34

Since I have anxiety disorder, and clinical depression and other PTSD problems, I get very frightened and worried a lot. And my circumstances in adult life have been very shaky, when there were budget cuts in our state, for instance.

And my husband lost his tenured teaching position that was supposed to be for life.

Through many other problems also, I would cling to what Jesus said, and do what I could, then let it go into his hands.

That scripture taught me not to worry about the future. Or let's say it reduced the worry tremendously.

I think over the years I must have repeated it to myself thousands or maybe tens of thousands of times.

It is so wise, and I am so thankful that Jesus taught us this.

This thread will be good for me, because I never remember exactly where everything is in the Bible. So much is in my head to meditate on.

But I should be going back and reading more.

Wonderful idea, Cindy!
    [This Message was Edited on 07/28/2008]
  3. Lms526

Lms526 New Member

Cool thread sweetpotatoe. It's so hard to pick. Anyway, the first one that came to mind for me is Micah 7:8. This is a verse that I first heard on the radio over 10 years ago. It encouraged me then, and has encouraged and strengthened me many times since then. When things seem especially dark, I just remember this verse. Somehow, I feel better. Anyway, I first heard this verse in the Living Translation, so that's how I memorized it.

Micah 7:8
    Enemy, don't laugh at me. Even though I sit in the shadow of trouble now, the Lord will be a light for me.

I would definitely be interested in a Bible study. Take care all!

Lms526
    [This Message was Edited on 07/21/2008]
  4. poets

poets Member

Matthew 11:28,29,&30

Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

So many times when I get weary, be it from the stress of the FM, or worried, depressed, and upset about anything, I remember the precious promises in these verses.

I know without a doubt, God Is Able. Praise His Name!

Meg

5. wordwarrior

wordwarrior New Member

Joel 2:25-26 (New International Version)
    New International Version (NIV)
    Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society

25 "I will repay you for the years the locusts have eaten— the great locust and the young locust,
    the other locusts and the locust swarm [a]—
    my great army that I sent among you.

26 You will have plenty to eat, until you are full,
    and you will praise the name of the LORD your God,
    who has worked wonders for you;
    never again will my people be shamed.

Wordwarrior
  6. Sweetpotatoe

Sweetpotatoe New Member

I love The scripture in Joel also, I claim that promise everyday.

The Lord is a shield for me, the lifter of my head. With my voice I cry to the Lord, and He hears and answers me out of His Holy hill. (Psalm 3;3-4)

I wait and hope for and expect the Lord; I am brave and of good courage and let my heart be stout and enduring. Yes I wait for nd hope and expect the Lord. (Psalm 27:14)

I am assured and know that (God being a partner in my labour) all things work together and are (fitting into a plan) for good to and for me becaue I love God and I am called according to (His) design and purpose. (Romans 8:28)

Lots more that I love too, I am waiting on The Lord, standing in faith so the scriptures about Hope touch my heart the most.

I love reading the Proverbs too, God is so wise!

I lent out my book without thinking, the one with Bible studies, I will have it back soon and post the first one.

God Bless.

Cindy.
  7. Peace77

Peace77 New Member

I've copied and pasted my favorite Scriptures: How would you do a Bible Study?

King James Version

Heb. 13:8 Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and today, and forever.
    Mat. 7:7 Ask, and it shall be given you…
    James 5:16…The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.
    Jn. 8:32 And ye shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free.
    2 Co. 5:7 For we walk by faith, not by sight:
    Rom 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
    Hos. 6:6 I desired mercy, and not sacrifice;
    Heb 12:1 …let us run with patience the race that is set before us,…
    Heb. 13:15 …let us offer the sacrifice of praise
    Heb. 4:12 …the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword,…
    Matt 18:19 …if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them…
    Matt 18:20 …where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.
    Heb. 4:16 Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace,…
    Heb. 11:1 …faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
    Heb. 11:6 …without faith it is impossible to please him [God]…
    2 Co. 12:9 …My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness.
    2 Co. 12:10 …for when I am weak, then am I strong.
    Ecc. 9:11 …the race is not to the swift…
    1 Jo. 4:4 …greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.
    Ro. 12:2 …be not conformed to this world: but be transformed by the renewing of your mind,…
    Matt. 16:23 …Get thee behind me, Satan: also in Mark and Luke
    Isa. 55:11 my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void,…
    Psa. 30:5 …weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning.
    Heb. 13:5 …I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.
    Isa. 54:17 No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper.
    Psa. 27:14 Wait on the Lord: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the Lord.
    Isa 40:31 But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew [their] strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; [and] they shall walk, and not faint.
    1 Co. 9:24 Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize: So run that ye may obtain.
    1 Ti. 6:12 Fight the good fight of faith.
    Rev. 3:20 Behold I stand at the door and knock.
    Jn. 14:26 But the Comforter, [which is] the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your rememberance,…
    Jn. 14:27 Peace I leave you, my peace I give unto you:…Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid
  8. windblade

windblade Active Member

What a fantastic website. My old concordance is so large and heavy for me to lift now, so I will use this instead. And I love looking up all the translations.

Thanks for sharing this - it's really valuable.
  9. windblade

windblade Active Member

"He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds."
    Psalm 147:3

So comforting and hopeful.
  10. Sweetpotatoe

Sweetpotatoe New Member

I seize and hold fast and retain without wavering the hope I cherish and confess my acknowledgement of it, for He Who promised is reliable (sure) and faithful to His word.
  11. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

but my FAVORITE is Phillipians 2:9-11

God has given Him a name above all names, that at the name of Jesus every knee shall bow and every tongue confess, in Heaven, on the Earth and under the Earth, that Jesus is Lord.

wow

T, Biblegateway is great, there are a few others too.

I also love Psalm 103 (I think), don't know which verse:
    He knows our frame; he remembers we are dust.

wow again

Love yours, windblade, and yours tigress, because the third time or so that I read it, I really UNDERSTOOD what Paul was saying and that this is why people think we are "freaks" and extremists when we talk about Jesus because to them "the cross of Christ is foolishness"; we might as well be talking about aliens landing (which more would believe I sometimes think) or speaking a foreign language.
  12. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

From the American Standard Bible:

John 15:13

"Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends."

I Corinthians 13:13

"But now faith, hope, love, abide these three; but the greatest of these is love."

John 3:16

"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life."

Matthew 6:14

"For if you forgive others for their transgressions, your heavenly Father will also forgive you."
  13. windblade

windblade Active Member

Bumped up this thread for you. Lots of wonderful things to dwell on, and fill your mind and heart with.

Love, Judy
  14. lrning2cope

lrning2cope New Member

Thank you for thinking of this post sweetpotatoe . Are you from Canada or England ? Your spelling of certain words suggests this !

Holly

Philippians 3

7 But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. 8 What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ 9 and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God and is by faith.

10 I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, 11and so, somehow, to attain to the resurrection from the dead.

Pressing on Toward the Goal

12 Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. 13 Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

Philippians 3 (New International Version)

Another one :

Philippians 4:8 (New International Version)

8Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.

[This Message was Edited on 01/25/2009]
  15. Doznclan3

Doznclan3 New Member

And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.

I used to like to say, I have faith the size of an avocado seed! I just felt that I had so much faith in God, that' how I felt. Then one day in Sunday School, we were talking about faith. It hit me by what was said at the time. A mustard seed! That is such a tiny seed, he wants us to have faith, and if we feel it's bigger than that, then even better. I've been able to excerise that faith in so many ways, and am very grateful for what it can do, by having faith in God.
    Love, Cynthia