Please share your tips on how to relax!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by phoebe1, Jan 25, 2006.

1. phoebe1

phoebe1 New Member

Last year I had a stomach ulcer and it is something I never ever want to have again.
    I'm a type A personality and a perfectionist, I have a stressful job but I really love what I do and don't want to give it up.
    I feel if I can just learn some techniques on how to relax I will be able to handle it better.

I have a very big workload and there isn't enough hours in the day, I would like to be able to take things slower, after all one can only do so much. But when I'm hurried and under pressure I "forget" to breathe and not work myself up and all my good intentions go flying out the window.
    I want to have a constant awareness (if you can call it that) that I should take things slow, breathe and relax.

It's like I go into crisis-mode everyday and I tell myself not to do it and to stop being so tense but it is easier said than done, it is something I really have to concentrate on.
    Any help and ideas will be appreciated!

2. CinCA

CinCA New Member

And should now, but I am too tired and forget or just am too tired/don't want to bother (I have CFS) is yoga. Sounds so cliche, but seriously, it really helped me manage my stressload back in the day when I was consulting and working crazy hours flying all over the country. I would come in after the usual 12 or 14 hour day and pop in (or eventually just remember) this video called "Yoga for Energy" by Rodney Yee (available most is a good source of stuff like this). The nice thing is it is divided into 5 segments, with the longest being something like 12 minutes. The nighttime ones take about 15 mins. total, and those are the ones I did most religiously (although the early morning ones worked well, too, and were equally brief). I still sometimes do the series of moves/stretches with an Enya CD in (or something else mellowing like that). It doesn't work as well as it used to, but I am also WAY more wound up, worn down, and just plain sick from the CFS than I ever was in my most stressed period of consulting.

Just doing deep breathing also helps (and yoga will teach you some of this, if you stick with it), although I always forget. I'm also super type A, and a perfectionist, although now that I'm married and have a very challenging 4 y.o., the perfectionist part of me has been forced to adapt. Still quite type A, though, which makes dealing with CFS so hard. When I have any energy at all, I can't help it but go, go, go, which usually I end up paying for later. Fortunately, I have not gotten a stomach ulcer, although I've had various pains and appetite issues lately, so I wouldn't be surprised if I came down with one. Ouch, though...I so hope you don't have that again.

Best of luck. And do maybe try the Yoga tape/DVD. Again, I did it most religiously when I was working absolutely crazy hours consulting, so I do know it's much easier to make time for than trying to get to the gym, etc.

Take care,
  3. Kacjac

Kacjac New Member

Well, #1... I went out and bought a couple of relaxations tapes,(they really work) I'm gonna buy Enya's new CD soon too.
    #2. A bubble bath (something that won't break me out) that is, LOL.... and some candles.
    #3. A slow car ride in the country.
    #4. I go to the lake (10min. away) and watch the water/or a gentle boat ride.
    #5. Or just curl up in bed with a good book/mag.
    #6. Scrapbooking relaxes me.
    #7.Flower arranging does too.(bridal bouquets)no stress, it really does relax me LOL
    I guess you have to find what works for you, and I hope you do, be gentle!
    Take care and relax~ Karen :)
  4. phoebe1

phoebe1 New Member

Thanks for the tips, I used to do yoga once a week but the class was very long and it was also far to drive, right after a full day's work, I used to lie there during meditation and think about work and what to make for supper.
    I find it very difficult to switch off.

Stormy, from now on I'm going to look at my wedding ring and use it as a reminder, it's quite big and it also reminds me of how great I felt on my wedding day.

Karen, I will definitely have to make time for all of those wonderful relaxing things.
    Thanks for sharing.

5. Sbilek

Sbilek New Member

The Emotional Freedom Technique is a great tool to relax, you can download it free from Mercola's site.

Also, meditation is great for relaxing!

[ advertisement ]