Please share your tips on how to relax!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by phoebe1, Jan 25, 2006.

1. phoebe1

phoebe1 New Member

Last year I had a stomach ulcer and it is something I never ever want to have again.
    I'm a type A personality and a perfectionist, I have a stressful job but I really love what I do and don't want to give it up.
    I feel if I can just learn some techniques on how to relax I will be able to handle it better.

I have a very big workload and there isn't enough hours in the day, I would like to be able to take things slower, after all one can only do so much. But when I'm hurried and under pressure I "forget" to breathe and not work myself up and all my good intentions go flying out the window.
    I want to have a constant awareness (if you can call it that) that I should take things slow, breathe and relax.

It's like I go into crisis-mode everyday and I tell myself not to do it and to stop being so tense but it is easier said than done, it is something I really have to concentrate on.
    Any help and ideas will be appreciated!

Phoebe

2. CinCA

CinCA New Member

And should now, but I am too tired and forget or just am too tired/don't want to bother (I have CFS) is yoga. Sounds so cliche, but seriously, it really helped me manage my stressload back in the day when I was consulting and working crazy hours flying all over the country. I would come in after the usual 12 or 14 hour day and pop in (or eventually just remember) this video called "Yoga for Energy" by Rodney Yee (available most places...gaiam.com is a good source of stuff like this). The nice thing is it is divided into 5 segments, with the longest being something like 12 minutes. The nighttime ones take about 15 mins. total, and those are the ones I did most religiously (although the early morning ones worked well, too, and were equally brief). I still sometimes do the series of moves/stretches with an Enya CD in (or something else mellowing like that). It doesn't work as well as it used to, but I am also WAY more wound up, worn down, and just plain sick from the CFS than I ever was in my most stressed period of consulting.

Just doing deep breathing also helps (and yoga will teach you some of this, if you stick with it), although I always forget. I'm also super type A, and a perfectionist, although now that I'm married and have a very challenging 4 y.o., the perfectionist part of me has been forced to adapt. Still quite type A, though, which makes dealing with CFS so hard. When I have any energy at all, I can't help it but go, go, go, which usually I end up paying for later. Fortunately, I have not gotten a stomach ulcer, although I've had various pains and appetite issues lately, so I wouldn't be surprised if I came down with one. Ouch, though...I so hope you don't have that again.

Best of luck. And do maybe try the Yoga tape/DVD. Again, I did it most religiously when I was working absolutely crazy hours consulting, so I do know it's much easier to make time for than trying to get to the gym, etc.

Take care,
    C.
  3. Kacjac

Kacjac New Member

Well, #1... I went out and bought a couple of relaxations tapes,(they really work) I'm gonna buy Enya's new CD soon too.
    #2. A bubble bath (something that won't break me out) that is, LOL.... and some candles.
    #3. A slow car ride in the country.
    #4. I go to the lake (10min. away) and watch the water/or a gentle boat ride.
    #5. Or just curl up in bed with a good book/mag.
    #6. Scrapbooking relaxes me.
    #7.Flower arranging does too.(bridal bouquets)no stress, it really does relax me LOL
    I guess you have to find what works for you, and I hope you do, be gentle!
    Take care and relax~ Karen :)
  4. phoebe1

phoebe1 New Member

Thanks for the tips, I used to do yoga once a week but the class was very long and it was also far to drive, right after a full day's work, I used to lie there during meditation and think about work and what to make for supper.
    I find it very difficult to switch off.

Stormy, from now on I'm going to look at my wedding ring and use it as a reminder, it's quite big and it also reminds me of how great I felt on my wedding day.

Karen, I will definitely have to make time for all of those wonderful relaxing things.
    Thanks for sharing.

Phoebe
  5. Sbilek

Sbilek New Member

The Emotional Freedom Technique is a great tool to relax, you can download it free from Mercola's site.

Also, meditation is great for relaxing!

Sbilek