Please someone check my TSH levels tell me what you think

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by keke466, Apr 24, 2007.

1. keke466

keke466 New Member

Had TSH and T4 done. Here are the results.
    TSH-2.63---Reference range--0.40-5.50 mIU/L
    T4-8.2---Reference range--4.5-12.5 mcg/dl

Haven't I read on here and elsewhere that the ranges have changed. I'm exhausted and think I might be hypothyroid but according to this I don't need medication. I had this done at the hospital where I work cause it was cheaper and haven't shown it to my dr yet.

Can someone who knows more about how to read this stuff tell me what they think? Should I tell my dr I want to try synthroid anyway and see if it helps? My Mom takes it and I think it runs in the family.

Thank you, Keke
  2. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Your TSH is fine from what I can see. They did change the levels for hypothyroid to 3.30 now but not every doc or lab goes by the new findings.

Yours appears to be within the normal range.

Sorry, not sure on the T4 range, but it looks ok too.

Hugs,

Nancy B
  3. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis 2 1.2 years ago after having a virus that ended up attacking my immune system.

Prior to that I had symptoms of hypothyroidism but my levels were in the 3.5 range. In Canada, they still go by the 5.50 and under range. I couldn't get anyone to listen. I certainly knew that I had a problem. Hair thinning, the outer edges of my eyebrows all but disappeared, fatigue, weight gain, etc.

After the virus, my TSH levels shot up to 15.6 and my T4 went down to 1.6. At that point I had severe constipation, swelling around the eyes, severely dry skin, and all the other joys of this condition.

As we age, our bodies are not as able to produce or convert the hormone. My sister has a TSH of 3.75 and her Dr refuses to admit she has a problem. This on top of everyone on my Mother's side having thyroid issues. My Dad is even hypothyroid.

I don't know how to get these Dr's to listen sometimes. My levels are in the 2.6 range now but I'd be much happier to be closer to 1. I still have severe constipation and dry skin and some swelling around they eyes.

You might want to investigate some natural replacements that will boost your iodine levels.

Wish I could help more.

Regards,

Eileen

4. harmony21

harmony21 New Member

Hi keke, dont know much but it seem fine to me, the figures on the left is what you rated and the ones on the right are the ones in normal range, anything over or under is a problem. If you wanted extra iodine and your doc says you need it kelp and salt with iodine in it is sufficient so my doc tells me.....

good luck and hang in there

in love n light
    Connie
  5. munch1958

munch1958 Member

I've had hypothyroidism since 1981. I've seen doctors with just about every kind of philosophy on treating thryroid disease. If I'm treated according to my TSH I can't get any thyroid meds in spite of hair loss, fatigue, muscle pain, brittle ridged fingernails and many other symptoms.

There is a huge controversy over this. Patients say testing for T3 and T4 levels is the way to go. You should find a wholistic doctor who will treat you based on your symptoms not lab tests. T3 was a miracle drug for me. Armour was good too. Way better than synthroid.
  6. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

Not sure why they didn't test your T3 levels??? You should have that done. Also you should get a TPO test done to show if you have the Hashimotos disease. Which is an auto immune disease of the thyroid.

If you don't have all the tests done you could still have a thyroid problem but not know it.

Your TSH is fine. The newest range is between 0.5 -3.0. Yours is under 3.0 so that should be fine.

Is your T4 Free T4? I had a Free T4 test done and it says that the normal range is 0.7 - 2.5 so if yours is Free T4 than it is NOT in the normal range. A lot of labs use outdated ranges. So it says you are in range when you may have a problem.

A lot of doctors don't follow these smaller ranges but they are missing a lot of thyroid problems.

I would have the TPO and the Free T3 test done as well.

Take Care,
    Pam
  7. grace54

grace54 New Member

I agree with Munch, Tsh numbers alone are of very little help. We need to know how thyroid hormone is utilized in our baody. That is why a DR who knows about these issues will do a free t-3 and t-4.

I went to an endo to get all my numbers right and he said he likes to keep tsh under 1. He like most DRs didn't like me using Armor.So I moved on as he had nothing to offer that I hadn't tried.

I am convinced that some people with fibro have a problem with conversion of t-4 to t-3. You will see alot of fibro peeps with hypothyroidism. I have Hashimottos and I have seen quite a few peeps on here with it so there is a connection here.

The problem is finding a Dr who will treat the patient and not just labs. They will hand you mind altering drugs but they won't try different meds for Thyroid problems. I think a DO or naturalpathic DR might help or someone who knows something about fibro/fatigue issues.

The reason I know my body doesn't do well with conventional treatment is I am being treated with a high dose of compounded t-3 from a FFC DR. To this point my t-3 is still low even with a high dose. I am close to normal but not yet. A regular DR never would have caught this with a tsh test, in fact we don't even check for tsh at this point. When I get my t-3 where I feel better I will check the tsh and I will show this to all the DR's that didn't have a clue.

I had read about this alternative treatment for years and new I was still hypo but no one where I live new about fibro and thyroid issues. I give the FFC credit as they understand our issues especially when it comes to hormones.There are people who get much better simply treating the thyroid issues so it is definately worth finding a DR who gets it.
  8. deb_46

deb_46 New Member

With symptoms and history in your family I would certainly have the most accurate testing done. TSH can be a somewhat fairly good indicator but only if you are over the top hypo, it's lousy as an indicator for someone that is subclinical. I am hypo and never had a TSH much higher than yours and I was very very sick.

You need the Free T3 and Free T4 and Anti-TPO and TgAb ( to rule out hashi's). The regular T4 you had is pretty useless. It only tells you how much hormone is in your blood but not how much is available to be used by your body to resolve symptoms. A certain amount of the hormone gets bound up by proteins and such and are not usable.

A word of warning....if you truly think you are hypo keep going until you find a doc to do the right tests and listen to your symptoms because if you keep going without help you run the risk of adding adrenal fatigue to the picture and that is a whole different and horrible illness to deal with. That happened to me because docs kept running the wrong tests and kept telling me I was fine when I was clearly getting sicker and sicker until I finally crashed in 2004 and have spent the last three years trying to heal from the thyroid and adrenal issues.

Good luck, hope you find help soon.

Deb
  9. Clay2

Clay2 New Member

If you think you are hypo, find the biggest pharmacy in your area and ask the pharmacist (not the clerk) what doctor prescribes Armour thyroid. These doctors or naturopaths will most likely be the ones who prescribe according to symptoms rather than labs.

Also have your 'reverse t3 tested. It's formally called triiodothyronine reverse. Sometimes your body creates that instead of t3 and it isn't helpful.

I've been through this and finally found help at a FFC recently. I wouldn't bother with endocrinologists. The testing was expensive, but well worth it to me to find out what problems I have and don't have.