Please teach me to Google

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by findmind, Feb 18, 2007.

1. findmind

findmind New Member

Help! When I "google", I get the darndet things. When I use the "expanded" version, I can't think of things to include, or if I do, I still get 1,000000000 hits!

Any advice?

Thanks in advance,
  2. ckball

ckball New Member

But I'll give it a try. It depends on what you are googling

You can weed out alot by putting a search word or words in quotaion marks

"antique chests" now if you just do antique chests you will have to weed a lot out.

I have been on line for 12 years and it is amazing at how much info is out there. Just be specific and use quotes.

Hope you find what your looking for-Carla
  3. sues1

sues1 New Member

For examples purpose I will use the following, not real people. I am into genealogy.....

Great grandparents are said to be Joe and Lizzy (Brown) Smith. He was born around 1859 and she was around 1860, possibly Ohio.

Google: Smith Brown Ohio genealogy
    Google: Joe Smith Ohio later: Lizzy Brown Ohio
    Also try Joseph Smith Ohio and then Elizabeth Brown Ohio.
    Also acertain what counties to search.

You find out that he might of been a Dr. You google: Doctors in 1800s Ohio. Etc. everytime you change the words you are googling a little, and you get more "hits". In time you learn what hits to skip by just scanning them. Leave out the ands, in, and unnecessary words when googling, Google is only looking for key words for you.

Another hint....if you come to a long article and you are only looking for Joe and/or Lizzy.....
    Push on CTRL and will get a window.....type in Smith and it will take you to all Smith's in the article. Saves time and eye strain. Then redo the box to Brown...etc.

Try and keep words short when googling. (what you enter). Images in Google are fun. Just click on Images and enter your maiden name for example. You will get loads of folks with your surname and even pictures of tombstones and such. Some you can click onto and it takes you to the article this picture was in.

I would never google Bmith or Brown...LOL....but do learn to select the words you enter to get the best possible hits.

Even Google your own might be surprised, but not everyone shows up. Any questions? Just ask and IF I can answer,,,,I will. Blessings.......Susan
  4. mezombie

mezombie Member

Once you've done a Google search, many of your "hits" will have the word "cache" at the end. If you click on that, the words you put in your search will be highlighted in different colors, making it easier to scroll down and find what you're looking for.

By the way, how are you feeling these days? I was really worried about you when I read about the hypothermia/stroke incident.
  5. findmind

findmind New Member

Thank you sooo much. These really help me a lot...will save them to remind me as I try to learn how to do this better.

The "cache" thing has always confused me, didn't have a clue.

Mezombie, thanks, dear one, for asking. I have a ct scan of head Wed., to see if it was mini strokes; if not, my "complicated, with aura" migraines may
    have returned, darnit.

haven't had any for 10 years, after 6 sessions with a great acupuncturist. We'll see what doc says on Mar. 3.

Again, mucho gracias all!
  6. findmind

findmind New Member

kjfms/karen: Hi, sweetie,how ya doing?

See, I have webtv, so I have to go to MSNTVs "search" option, enter and then I'm there.

I don't have a computer: just a tv-top unit and a wireless keyboard (great!). It does all the "computing" for me.

I just get so confused because I get so many options when I put in a term to's not anything specific I want to know about, just how to use the feature more concisely.

The suggestion about using the "cache" option seems to be what I was looking for, I never knew that my specific terms would be highlighted in the selections! Ah, well, live and learn, right?

I know I can always count on you to help search things, out, I've used your advice several times, thank you!

Again, hope you have a laptop with you after surgery, can't wait to hear how well you will be doing :)!

Many hugs,
  7. sues1

sues1 New Member

I did not think to include CACHE......glad someone did.

Glad your are "OK"....Blessings, Susan