Please tell me how your fibrofog feels!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by LostInIdaho, Jan 10, 2003.

1. LostInIdaho

LostInIdaho New Member

Hi. I was hoping that someone could please explain how their fibro fog feels to them.
    When I'am in a flare, I have trouble thinking. I get random thoughts popping into my head all the time. I worry alot and get alot of anxiety too. I feel like I have been oxygen deprived for awhile. I feel incredibly depressed and sad about this because I worry that mabe it is something else. So I thought mabe if I read how other people feel when they have fibrofog then I might be able to let go of the worry.
    Thankyou for your help.
  2. Cactuslil

Cactuslil New Member

"Intrusive thoughts" are often a sign of clincial depression; along with "worry alot and get alot of anxiety too." You also mention you are sad.

Your questions about fibrofog...well, mine takes the form of memory. After I had my now ten year old son is when the first signs of FMS started. I always had been blessed with an incredible memory yet I could not remember this and that; our family action became like the "Hatfields and McCoys" as I thought they were lying to me about things I knew nnothing about. They were aggravated with me because I could not remember what I even ate yesterday yet I could go play with the band and play four hours without missing a note. Long term memory was intact. Well, finally, we had a sit down over this and I was convinced that I was indeed losing "it". And for someone who has been clinically depressed more than half of her life I was really scared.

So that is how my cognitive deficits show eg. fibrofog. It is horrible but I have to just shrug my shoulders, smile and say..well okay but I don't remember.

You know it has definately been proven now that we with FMS have petit mal seizures 24/7 and that accounts for why we can't remember everything as we used to and why our sleep patterns are abnormal.

Hope this helps a little. CactusLil'
  3. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

I have a vivid memory of things from 30+ years ago, but at times cannot remember what I am in the process of cooking for supper. I will take off in the car and, half way to my destination, forget where I am going. Depression will often play a major role in this ailment. Anyone who is in pain a good portion of the time is entitled to be depressed!!! I would talk to your doctor about your concerns. Excellent medications are available for treating depression. By the way, what part of Idaho are you in? I grew up in the panhandle and try to visit family there every year.
    Kathryn
  4. hurley63

hurley63 New Member

I seem to be getting worse on my short term memory. It's so scary to think about it but seems like my mind wondersssss all the time can't seem to stick on one subject in my mind for very long and then be thinking about a hundred different ones. I had great long term memorie but it's weird feeling head is numb, tingles, hurts, can't think straight, have to focus eyes on something to get clear view, dry mouth, dry nostrils
    Rita
  5. layinglow

layinglow New Member

When I am foggy---I have great difficulty carrying a task through to completion. I have trouble concentrating and staying focused--as you mentioned, disjointed thoughts pop into my head, and divert my attention. My memory is totally bankrupt, when it gets severe. I ask the same questions over and over, forget what I have done, etc.
    I feel often that I am overtaxed, there is just to much information to process, and I am incapable of processing--- and it leaves me feeling very anxious.
    This is one of the most frustrating aspects of these disorders to me, as I once was a person who could multi-task, very efficiently. I am at a loss now, just to accomplish one simple task, on bad days.
    LL
  6. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

I get words mixed up, or in the middle of doing a task, forget what I was supposed to be doing. I feel zoned out at times, like a zombie. I never really knew what fibro fog was really about until lately.

I do not understand about intrusive thoughts??
  7. pearls

pearls New Member

FOBROFOG?! How about this?!

My fourth graders were bringing money for the book club. The club was offering 20 times the normal points if we bought $200 worth of books, and these points could buy a lot of books for our classroom. It worked like this: the first $15 would bring 1 point per dollar, a $25 purchase might bring 3 points per dollar, and so forth all the way to the $200 mark, which would bring in a phenominal 20 points for each dollar.

I'm very good at getting the money to flow by doing things like 1) "salting the pot" with my own order, and 2) explaining how the points can grow almost exponentially. The kids get excited and bring in the money. All benefit because everyone will enjoy the books bought with the points. It's a good system.

Here's where the FIBROFOG came in: I explained what would happen to the $15=15 points when we would get to the next dollar when it would suddenly become $16=3x16=48 points. That was all well and good. As I continued to go up the various levels we got to a place where the figure was much larger. I forget exactly how much, but would work out to one digit (the number of points) times three digits (the dollar amount). I'll pull something out of the air: 8x128.

Well, using vertical notation, I multiplied the 8 times the 128 and put down an answer of 1024. My FIBROFOG really got into gear because I didn't think I was finished. I multiplied the 8 times the 128 AGAIN, putting the answer under the first answer row, moving the ones place of the answer to the tens place as if the problem had another 8 on the bottom. Since there were three digits on top, my FIBROFOG thinking went, I had to multiply the 8 times 128 YET AGAIN! Dutifully, I put the answer under the second answer row and moved the ones place of this third answer over two places to its "proper" place in the hundreds column. Then I added them all up! The answer to 8X128 was an incredible 113,664!

(Since it was early in the year and I had not yet taught even one-digit, let alone three digit multiplication, none of those kids had noticed what was going on.)

One hundred thirteen, six hundred sixty-four! I gaped at the product uncomprehendingly... "THAT can't be right," I said to my students, "I'd better do it again." Then I proceeded to do the same thing! It was no better than the first time. After several of these aborted attempts, I finally just used my calculator and got an answer that made sense.

[Now, boys and girls, THIS is why we need to see if our answers make sense.] <Grin>

Knowing when I was defeated, we went on to another subject. It wasn't until the afternoon that it dawned on me that I had tried to make a triple-digit problem out of a single-digit problem.

Now, THAT'S FIBROFOG!!

[Just in case you're interested, I explained to them briefly what had happened and why it happened - meaning my fibromyalgia - but also that checking to see that it made sense had "saved" me from continuing the error.]

Now here are other ways my FIBROFOG manifests itself:

1) I have always learned my students' names by this time of year - though I do forget them from time to time. THIS year I can't remember their names most of the time.

2) I can't remember if I washed a part of me in the shower when I always go through a routine.

3) I can't think of words I know very well. While I've always had this happen from time to time, it is happening now quite often.

4) In the middle of a story, I can't remember what I was saying. This used to infuriate me when I was "normal," but now I'm learning to let it go.

5) I lost my car keys three times this year, but maybe once in the past 20. I now carry them on one of those coiled, plastic key holders and use it as a bracelet.

6)My husband has told me my attention span has gone to h***. He's right.

7) I can't focus like I used to do.

8) I am not very "quick on the draw" anymore.

9) There is a definite decrease in my learning curve.

10) When I was in a bad way two years ago, I went through a period of real "spaciness."

11) I was very agitated in my speech.

12) I have become very "hyper."

13), 14), 15), 16), 17), 18), 19)...

By the way, I've seen some places on the Internet where humor is made of these things. I think it lightens our problem up a bit, which it certainly can use.

-Pearl

[This Message was Edited on 01/13/2003]
  8. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi welcome to the board. You sound like what most of us with Fibro go through.

The Fog seems to come and go. Sometimes I have trouble getting a 'word' for my brain to my mouth when holding a conversation. I miss place things, I buy things and forget I bought them. I call my dogs (I have five of them) by one anothers names!

I forget phone numbers that I knew for years. I start doing something and then start something else, completely forgetting what I started out to do.

I miss place things, last night for example, I made a cup of tea, then let my dog out. I totally forgot I made the tea and made another cup. I found the original cup this morning on the countertop!

I did a real serious one last month. I made out the check for the mortgage company, fill out the invoice, addressed the envelope, and would have SWORN that I gave it to my husband to mail with the other bills.

Well, the mortgage company sent me a notice that my payment was due! I was furious, I KNEW I did all the above, checked the check book, canceled checks etc.

So I though the check was lost in the mail, well a month later I found the whole thing in a drawer that I keep my vitamins in, no I do not put my bills in this drawer, I have them all in files for each month.

Now I have to pay 'two' payments, had to void this check, and do all this extra bookeeping. I tell you, this Fog can be dangerous!

I always use a Timer when I have the stove on, I keep a list on the Fridg for things I run out of for the store. I do not trust my memory at all anymore.

But I could tell you what I did when I was four years old, including the name of the dog that I had them and where I lived, right now with no effort.

I don't have depression, but I do get frustrated with myself, as I had an excellent memory and won spelling Bee's in school, plus I have been an avid reader all my life.

You can tell your doctor about this. I do not take any meds for even the Fibro, so it is the Fibro that causes this, not the meds in my case.

Then there are times I can think and speak as clear as a bell, and remember everything and anything to the smallest detail!

But if I am stressed, tired, or over do myself, thats when the Fog gets thick! Also when I wake up in the morning.

Hope this helped you, at least you know you are not alone with this.

Again, welcome to the board.

Shalom, Shirl

[ advertisement ]