PLEASE TRY THIS NEUROLOGICAL TEST

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Lolalee, Aug 19, 2006.

1. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

My Neurologist asked me to do something the other day and I couldn't. Please try this and tell me if you are able to do it.

Stand with your feet together. Put your right foot directly in front of your left foot. Now step directly in front of your right foot with your left foot keeping both legs straight. I couldn't move my left leg. Can you?

I am curious to know how common this is.

Thanks,

Lolalee
  2. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Dear Lolalee:

I was able to do it, but am interested in what this test is supposed to be testing for? I am guessing some kind of neurologic issue, as I think that is why they have suspected drunk drivers do this type of walking on a straight line.

Ingrid

[This Message was Edited on 08/19/2006]
  3. SPR30

SPR30 New Member

I did exactly like you said. I got my feet together (with some difficulty and discomfort, I have RA).
    I got my right foot in front of my left, but then getting my left foot off the ground was very difficult. I wobbled, and twisted my left ankle, instead (I am OK, not to worry). What does this mean?
    You have peeked my curiosity? I have been diagnosed with neuropathy and I do take Neurontin, so today I can at least feel my feet well.
    Please fill us in on this.
    Many blessings!
  4. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

I can do it, but I'm surprised how wobbly I was and it wasn't that easy.

Can't wait to find out what it means.

Sue in Ontario
  5. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

I thought, "This should be a breeze!" But I almost fell down! If I hadn't been near the wall I would have been on the floor!

What does this test show, other that we are clutzes? LOL

God Bless.
  6. puffy1

puffy1 New Member

I just tried that test lo I did it but with great difficulty
    if I were taking a sobriety test I would be aressted and given a dui or if tight rope walking I would fall to my death no balance. So what does it mean?

Teri
  7. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

But standing on tip-toes with eyes closed, standing on one leg with eyes closed, and anyting that requires my eyes closed I can't do. LOL...I hope I never go blind!
  8. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

I went to the Neurologist because I had a temporary blindness episode in my left eye, headache on the left side of my head, pain in left leg.

He didn't tell me what this particular test was supposed to reveal. I haven't been able to stop thinking about it, expecially since my left leg has been numb and painful this week. I haven't been able to walk much without a cane.

I posted last week about this doctor because I was very upset after he saw me. He does not believe in Fibromyalgia. He thinks it's a waste basket diagnosis. He thinks I am too tense and thinks I should meditate. He says women worry too much. OOOhhh, don't let me get started again.

Anyway, I just wondered if this was part of FMS or CFIDS. He would never admit that. But, I am planning to call his office on Monday to find out the significance of this particular test.

By the way, I had no trouble doing this when I started with my left foot. I could bring my right foot over my left with no problem.

Thanks again,

Lolalee
    [This Message was Edited on 08/19/2006]
  9. cats2595

cats2595 New Member

This is done to check out your gait and whether you have balance problems. You can "Google" Neurological tests and look under "gait" testing. There are many hits and it will explain what it is testing and what it means.

I am realizing how many others have gait disturbance. I lost the balance function of my left ear 2 years ago and have to be very careful not to fall when turning quickly or leaning over but I had gait and balance problems before the complete loss of balance. My ENT thought it was Meniere's disease, an inner ear disease, but I now believe it has been related to fibromyalgia/CFS all along.

Google is a great source of information.

Cat
  10. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

Cat, thanks so much for this info. I wonder what my Neurologist will say about what is causing this problem for me?

Lolalee
  11. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

12. Tantallon

Tantallon New Member

to even begin this test. Comforting to know that there are others with gait problems as it doesn't often get mentioned.

Sue
  13. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I couldn't even get my right foot in front of my left unless I held onto something. My balance is just terrible...

Yes, I could do this, but only if I was holding onto some furniture.

Hugs,
    Faye
  14. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

for more replies
  15. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Hi Lolalee,

I thought I already posted this but I cannot find it. So, please excuse it you see this twice.

I can do this very easily with eyes open but not closed. It is a good thing I was close to something I could grab- a weird feeling. Are you supposed to do this with eyes open or closed???

Blessings and soft hugs,

Granniluvus (Marilyn)
  16. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

eyes open

Lola
  17. wanderingbluedragon

wanderingbluedragon New Member

I found a site that might be very helpful in explaining why they do these types of tests. It's actually very cool. It tells you how they do the tests and what they are for. it is neuroexam.com. Hope this helps.
  18. Linn3

Linn3 New Member

Unsteady gait was the first sign that I recognized when my illness hit. I looked like a tight rope walker trying to cross niagra falls when I tryed to do this. However, 2 years of physical therapy to"retrain" my brain has really improved my "heel/toe" walk and my overall gait. Good luck Lolalee and try not to let this symptom scare you too much. Marsha
  19. teller7

teller7 New Member

My neurologist put me on Parkinson's medicine. It's called Sinemet. I walked awful and had tremors in my right hand. Within 24 hours I could walk good and the tremors are gone. My hubby was shocked and happy. I have all the other symptoms of CFS but at least now I can walk into a store without the people looking at me like I'm a drunk. This really works if you have any of these symptoms.