Please Watch The Clip on CFS from ABC Good Morning America

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, Sep 25, 2009.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

I came across this from the CFS Assoc. and I really liked the clip from Dr. Donnica Moore on Good Morning America, think you will like it also. Here's the site if you haven't seen it.

God Bless,
    [This Message was Edited on 09/26/2009]
  2. ulala

ulala New Member

the link took me to the story about parents suing walmart for child bath time pictures.
  3. greatgran

greatgran Member

Sorry you didn't get the site. I just brought it up and it just comes up don't click on to anything and after the advertisement then they start the interview with Dr Moore.

If you try again and it doesn't work let me know.

4. ulala

ulala New Member

Thanks for checking. I tried again and the same thing came up. Sotry about Wal-Mart and not ads.
  5. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

Try this link:

Dr. Moore really did a good job; well worth watching.

Wayne[This Message was Edited on 09/25/2009]
  6. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

Best short news piece I've ever seen on "CFS".

Thank you Dr. Moore!

ETA Thank you gg for posting!

[This Message was Edited on 09/25/2009]
  7. QuayMan

QuayMan Member

Generally good clip alright.

I have one quibble. Mentioning CBT. The advice she gives that she says CBT will cause is sensible enought. But what she is describing is not the normal form of CBT for CFS that is mentioned in the literature. She talks about pre-emptive rest (don't do much today as you have something big on tomorrow). The proponents of CBT for CFS in the UK and the Netherlands (where nearly all the studies come from) would say this is bad!

Otherwise a useful clip.
  8. QuayMan

QuayMan Member

My guess is the reason she mentioned soccer, which seemed an odd thing to mention, was that her son with CFS must have played soccer once or more before and then got "hit".

Here's a description when she was nominated recently by the CAA for the CFSAC board:

Donnica Moore, MD: Dr. Moore is highly regarded as a women's health expert, advocate, physician educator and as a media commentator. Dr. Moore is the founder and president of, a popular women's health information website launched in Sept. 2000. She is also founder and president of Sapphire Women's Health Group LLC, a multimedia women's health education and communications firm. Dr. Moore’s son, Brian, was diagnosed with CFS four years ago. Dr. Moore has been active in organized medicine for over 15 years. For seven years she served on the Board of Directors of the American Medical Women's Association. She has also been a member of the Boards of Directors of the Society for Women's Health Research, the Friends of the National Institute of Nursing Research, the National Council on Women's Health, and Research!America. She has demonstrated expertise in health services and insurance.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/25/2009]
  9. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

overall I think that was one of the best mainstream news clips I have seen on the subject....there were a few things that I wasn't thrilled with, inc that it still did not even begin to show how severe ME/CFS can be, but still it's a big improvement from most of what I have seen
  10. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

I winced when she mentioned CBT but relaxed when she described so well what might better be called pacing. Nevertheless, were CBT only used in the way in which she described, it would be incredibly useful.

Perhaps Dr. Moore in unaware of the dreadful treatment of ME patients in the UK and Netherlands and was thinking of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy in the broad sense which predates its use in treatment of ME.

I agree though, QuayMan, would have been better without those three little letters which are used to such evil ends.

Peace Out

11. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

Thanks for the background info. I'm surprised I've never heard of her. Of course, I can't be sure I've never heard of her :eek:)

Peace out
  12. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

That is probably one of the best interviews I have seen about CFS. Thanks for posting this, GG!
  13. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

On the left hand side click onto "Health" and then at the bottom about half way across is the link to the CFS story.
  14. Elisa

Elisa Member

Hi All,

Yes it was nearly "informationally perfect" - which is hard to do so well. She's a very smart physician - she was in my class in college. So glad she did a great job!

God Bless,

The CFIDS Association should grab her as a spokesperson - she has great poise and is an effective and clear communicator.[This Message was Edited on 09/25/2009]
  15. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

I was really impressed with the doctor in this interview.

Imagine...a fair and authoritative description of CFS. Very refreshing indeed. Thanks for bringing attention to it.
  16. greatgran

greatgran Member

For your help in locating the clip. SO glad to hear many of you liked it as much as I did.

Just wish there had been more details on how we do suffer and other complaints but thought it was one of the clearest and best I have seen on TV..

At least its a start sure wish I could have seen this years ago.

God Bless,
  17. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I was especially impressed when she talked about post-exertional malaise - thanks for posting!

18. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

Hi All,

There was a nice thread on Cort's message board (Phoenix Rising) about this segment. He apparently was able to get the kind comments available for Dr. Dannica to read. She replied with the following:

Thanks for all of your comments.. .especially to Melissa who understands what goes into putting these segments together! I do not have CFS, but I have lived with it in various stages for more than 10 years. My husband was acutely striken over 10 years ago after a flu-like illness with a moderate case of CFS and my son developed a severe, overwhelming form of CFS more than 5 years ago at the age of 11.5. Yes, I know how debilitating it can be–my son was virtually bedridden for a year. He didn’t have the “energy” to lift a water bottle or walk to the bathroom. His comment is that “CFS doesn’t kill you, but it takes your life.” And yes, I have a broken spirit and a broken heart as a result. But the purpose of this segment wasn’t to tell my story or my son’s, but to give an overview of CFS in general, for the purpose of educating the general public as well as healthcare professionals who are also viewers.

*** From the above, it's easier to see why she understands our illness so well. I hope she continues to speak out on our behalf.

Regards, Wayne
  19. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

Thank you for posting this Great Gran and Wayne. It's great to see her comments from Cort's Board too. :)

I agree with all the comments here. The one thing I pray we see added to these media messages is an explanation of the 25% of us who have severe ME/CFS and how extremely debilitating this illness can get. It would be good if they would talk about how some patients have to be tube fed and are in a coma-like state all the time.

I liked how she mentioned the concept of CFS Type 1 and CFS Type 2, much like how they differentiate Diabetes.
  20. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I am stunned and happy at the same time.

For once I heard CBT and it did not seem like a four letter word.

Thanks so much for posting this!!