Pls share your experience with leaving work

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Hootie1, Jun 18, 2006.

1. Hootie1

Hootie1 New Member

I've been posting all over about this subject and I apologize for the repetition for some of you.

I have been ok with work and am now finally just giving up. It has become too stressful to work full time and keep our household going.

I'm afraid to be well on some days because then work believes that I am cured, but want to feel good anyway.

I believe that I am moving out of the denial stage and into acceptance stage. I decided that I will no longer force myself into work only to be productive 3 hours out of the 8.

I am going to hire a disability attorney, but am very scared. My FFC thinks that I should stick it out, but the stress is unbearable.

I've made excuses, dodged the bullet and everything and now I am just ready to put my hands up. I used to care what my co-workers were thinking, but now I am just going to focus on myself.

What have been your experiences that you can share?
  2. KMD90603

KMD90603 New Member

I have CFIDS and definitely find working to be difficult. I only work part-time right now, but I am in nursing school and will work full-time upon graduating. At my old job, I applied for FMLA to cover myself if I was sick and could not come in. It was hard to do because then I had to admit to myself AND my employer that I am actually sick. But, once I did it, it felt so freeing. I no longer had that weight on my shoulder. I was no longer feeling so afraid of getting sick and losing my job from calling off. I knew that if I was feeling sick one day and had to call out, they couldn't fire me because of it. And, they were extremely accepting of it. My direct managers did not know what my illness was, but they knew that something was wrong, and I didn't wish to share all of the details with them.

Now, I'm working at the hospital 2 days a week. I work less than I did at my other job, however, it's a lot of running around and heavy lifting. And, that often makes me feel absolutely wiped out for a couple of days after. It's hard because I question how I'll be able to work 40 hours a week as an RN if I can barely work 16 hours a week as an aid. I guess it's something I'll have to take as it comes, however, it's something I worry about often.

It sounds like you're taking a good first step by hiring an attorney. Just remember that most people do get denied on the first try, so don't get discouraged if that happens. Also, don't think of this as giving up. You are accepting your limitations and the severity of your illness, and this is what you need to do right now.

Gentle healing hugs,
    Kim
  3. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Dear Hootie1:

I have not "officially" left work yet. I have been on short term disability since mid March. Unfortunately, things have only gotten worse for me. I have FMS, RA, IBS, DDD, liver issues, and now I am having trouble with my heart. It races, up to 220 beats per minute, and something called Atrial Fibrillation with rapid ventricular response. I am off to a cardiologist today. I am not rushing back to work, and have tentatively inquired about permanent disability. I have a 70% pay program, which I have paid for. I also found out that my company used to be much better about this type of thing, but they have merged with a larger company, and their disability coverage is now through UNUM, and they do not agree that FMS on its own is enough to qualify for disability.

I know someone with FMS/CFIDS who was denied. She had to return to work for 30 days in order to be able to retire. She had 30 years of service, so can collect a tidy pension as well as her 401K savings. She is moving to Brownsville, TX to follow the warm, tropical weather as well as a new opportunity. So, I can only remain on short disabilty for 1 year, then I have to return to work, or go to UNUM's doctors. Cannot wait.

Take care,
    Ingrid
  4. doxielover70

doxielover70 New Member

But I have gone from full time to part time. I don't think I could work full time. Trying to keep a house in order and work 40hrs was way too stressful for me.

Heck working 24hrs a week is stressful. I take an hour lunch and a lot of time you can find me sleeping in my car. lol.
  5. Hootie1

Hootie1 New Member

Anybody else?
  6. mrpain

mrpain New Member

After almost three decades of working, I finally had to call it quits. It wasn't really in my future plans in the beginning to retire this early in life, but this illness was more than I could physically and mostly mentally could bare..

I had worked my way up the latter so to speak, and even took a couple of college courses while working so I could be in the position I was in.... but I had to leave it all behind, including the hugh pay raise that would have been coming my way.

Now I just get a portion of that every two weeks but it's worth it all to me. Now I can suffer in peace and when I struggle every night with my sleep, I'm not worrying about the alarm clock going off at 5:30 am.. My wife still works but is very supportive.. I wish there was a magic bullet or pill that would restore our health back to normal, but until then, it's surviving day by day and living by faith.
  7. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

that way you may still get benefits...from your place of employment or in my case sdi...

jodie