Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Cromwell, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

The Rose

Near shady wall a rose once grew
    Budded and blossomed in God's free light.
    Watered and fed by morning dew,
    Shedding its sweetness day and night.

As it grew and blossomed fair and tall
    Slowly rising to loftier height,
    It came to a crevice in the wall,
    Through which there shone a beam of light.

Onward it crept with added strength,
    With never a thought of fear or pride
    it followed the Light
    though the crevice-length, and unfolded itself on the other side.

The Light, the dew, the broadening view,
    Were found the same as they were before;
    And it lost itself in beauties new,
    Breathing its fragrance more and more.

Shall claim of death cause us to grieve,
    And make our courage faint or fall?
    Nay, let us faith and hope receive.
    The rose still grows beyond the wall...

Scattering fragrance far and wide,
    Just as it did in days of yore,
    Just as it did on the other side,
    Just as it will forevermore.

I hope this brings you comfort, I do not know who wrote it, but I like the way it captures the essence of passing over.

Love Annie
  2. ckball

ckball New Member

That is beautiful, thank you for taking the time to post it.

I know you are having a difficult time right now. I want to share something that the pastor said during mom's funeral.

He said true character is created by struggles, if we remain in our faith it will make us stronger. I do believe this with all my heart.

Then there was another man that is a retired pastor, he use to visit mom at home then at the nursing home.

I had some time to talk to him at the funeral home the day before the funeral when I dropped off a picture of mom.

He has MS, in 1984 and 85 he was paralyzed and was bed ridden, but he kept his faith and now he is walking today and you would never know what he had struggled threw.

He said he had to retire from preaching because of brain fog, he would get up to speak and go blank. I told him I totally understood that one.

He now works PT for the funeral home and visits the shut ins. I immediately thought of you when he told me he had MS, I haven't seen any other posts that you may have made after your scan.

I know Danny is your main concern but do take care of you too. Thanks for the poem, my daughter use to write poetry and will send it to her, I think she will like it. I'll keep you in my prayers-Carla
  3. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

I think I have heard that one before someplace. It is a beautiful poesm.

Thanks so much for posting it.

Hope things start going better for you with Danny. I know how frustrating that can be.

Blessings and hugs,

4. sues1

sues1 New Member

This was written many years ago. At Hallmark stores and sometimes other places I often buy the cards with these verses. I put them back for special people.

Many years ago I recieved this card, from someone that said they had recieved the same one before when a sister had died. He stated that it was very special to him and hoped it would be to us.

It was. I had lost my daughter as a infant, found her dead in her bed. Acute Trachea Bronchitis === aka "Sudden Pneumonia".

I read this so many times, it helped me very much.

5. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

lovely poem.

It made me feel good about my Mum who passed just over a year ago.

Thanks for posting it.

Just read about Danny on the porch Anne, I'm so sorry he and you have to go through all this, I hope the clinic proves to be a good one.

[This Message was Edited on 04/26/2008]
  6. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

to hear about your losses Sue and Rosie, I cannot imagine how hard it must be to lose a child.

I think this did come from a card originally.

Love to all,