poem: for wheelchair users

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Shannonsparkles, Apr 25, 2006.

1. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

FREEDOM CHAIR

Freedom Chair
    Moving me on
    To better things
    To farther heights
    To not being so worn out
    At nights.

Freedom Chair
    Five spokes
    An extra hand
    Again and again
    As it goes around
    As it wheels me down.

Does anyone listen to
    Freedom Chair -
    I speak from it
    I answer there.

What can I do
    When down so low
    But raise my Freedom Chair up
    To you.

[This Message was Edited on 04/26/2006]
  2. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

Freedom chair-sooooo true! Linda
  3. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Shannon!
    My mother was actually in a wheelchair from the time she was eight years old. She aquired polio just a few years too early for the Salk vaccine. She drove, worked as a teacher's aid, volunteered, worked in our garden, played ping pong with me. When I was a kid, she taught me how to do a wheelie, and I went around the ping pong table fourteen times, doing a wheelie in her wheelchair (Don't try this at home).
    I find it very ironic that after such an active life, I, too, need a wheelchair to go anywhere. I can walk around the house, but as for the public library...forget it!
    Thanks for reminding me that "freedom chair" is not an oxymoron when it comes to using a wheelchair.

Thanks.

Kholmes
  4. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

but I do have a scooter. At first it was hard to admit I needed one and I felt self-conscious using it at first, but eventually I came to realize that it gave me freedom. I don't use it when I am home or at work, but without it I would be unable to go shopping, go to the zoo, the fair, etc. I am grateful for my husband who went shopping with me to buy a scooter and he lifts it in and out of the car for me. I feel thankful that we were able to afford one and that when I want to go shopping without my husband, there are more stores now that have scooters for their customers to use.

A great poem.

Ellen