Poem for Windblade and others using Garden Therapy

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by slowdreamer, Jan 29, 2006.

1. slowdreamer

slowdreamer New Member

Windblade asked me aeons ago to share some favorite poets. The following is from the Australian poet, writer cartoonist ,Michael Leunig.

THE SUMMER PALACE

Make a little garden in your pocket.
    Plant your cuffs with radishes and rocket.
    Let a passionfruit crawl up your thigh.
    Grow some oregano in your fly.

Make a steamy compost of your fears.
    Trickle irrigate your life with tears.
    Let your troubled mind become a trellis.
    Turn your heart into a summer palace.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/29/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 01/31/2006]
  2. slowdreamer

slowdreamer New Member

3. windblade

windblade Active Member

How wonderful to hear from you!!!

Do you know, I wrote you a long post a few weeks ago about my favorite poets, and about Australia - so many things, and IT DIDN'T POST. I was so frustrated, and then saw that you weren't on line much.

But, now I'm so happy to see this poem. I love the mixture of lightheartedness, and a darker comic sense. I was going to ask you about Australian poets.

I was also interested in your indigineous garden - what you are growing.

Like 'rocket' is a plant I'm not familiar with. Will look it up.

Hope you are feeling well.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/01/2006]
  4. windblade

windblade Active Member

Bumping for Slowdreamer
  5. slowdreamer

slowdreamer New Member

I like to grow Sheoaks in my Indigenous Garden,australian bluebells, boobialla lawns(no water) banksias and shrubs and grasses to provide insects for the insectivorous birds.I have been here 6 yrs and each year more birds sttle in from the wild.It is a buzz
    Also because of drought we can only water 3-4 hrs weekly so I have a dry prickly desert garden here in mid summer.
    Rocket is a lettuce like green with a sharp tang.People like it because of its robust self seeding quality.At least I like anything that grows by itself and requires less input from my tired self.I spend a lot of time inventing labour saving ways as I lie on my bed!
    Oz poets
    John Shaw Neilson
    "The Blue Wren in the Hop Bush"
    I looked up Billy Collins whom you did mention but still crazy mostly about Mary Oliver.
    Thanks for your warm responses and articulate writing
    "the world offers itself to your imagination"
    There is much time to dream methinks
  6. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

sounds like a nice guy. Maybe I can find some more of his poems online. Thank you for sharing, slowdreamer.
  7. windblade

windblade Active Member

I love the names of all the things that you grow. Even though I don't know what they look like. Sometimes I will collect words just for the sheer joy of how they sound.

Are Australian bluebells similar to the English ones?

That must be a great satisfaction, creating that garden.

I will look up John Shaw Neilson. I love the title of his poem. 'The Blue Wren in the Hop Bush"

What's Oz?

I recently looked through a book of Mary Oliver's poetry. None were as wildly rich, and hopeful and a homage to the imagination as "Wild Geese"

I remember in your Christmas post, your quote from Meister Eckhardt. About silence. I feel that way about this time of year here. In Feb., East Coast USA, in my sphere of living everything is QUIET!!!!

I can think, concentrate, look and listen to what's around me while everyone is hibernating.

How did you tame your magpies? That's so nice to picture.

Do you have any of Mary Oliver's books, because I found a poem that you might like.

"Whoever you are, no matter how lonely,
    the world offers itself to your imagination"

I put that in my lost post to you!

Blessings to you, your garden, and your magpies.
    A rich world.