Poetry as therapy

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Skelly, Oct 4, 2002.

1. Skelly

Skelly New Member

For three years I was so severely affected by CFS that I couldn't even read, let alone hold a pen! Then one day last October I went out for a ride in my wheelchair on a clear fresh October day and as soon as I got back, I was so inspired and happy that I wrote my first poem practically ever!
    Since then, I have had what I can only call a miraculous outpouring of poetry which, though not all the time, seems to just flow out of me. I have written by now I think well over 50 poems on my experiences and feelings towards CFS. It has provided great therapy for me, and a release I would never otherwise have thought of. Incidentally, or perhaps not, my health has improved drastically over this past year too!
    I thought I'd just say to give it a try. You need never have read a poem in your life or even want to. But creativity can surprise you, as it did me, and bring greater health I believe.
  2. Skelly

Skelly New Member

For three years I was so severely affected by CFS that I couldn't even read, let alone hold a pen! Then one day last October I went out for a ride in my wheelchair on a clear fresh October day and as soon as I got back, I was so inspired and happy that I wrote my first poem practically ever!
    Since then, I have had what I can only call a miraculous outpouring of poetry which, though not all the time, seems to just flow out of me. I have written by now I think well over 50 poems on my experiences and feelings towards CFS. It has provided great therapy for me, and a release I would never otherwise have thought of. Incidentally, or perhaps not, my health has improved drastically over this past year too!
    I thought I'd just say to give it a try. You need never have read a poem in your life or even want to. But creativity can surprise you, as it did me, and bring greater health I believe.
  3. sean

sean New Member

It is funny you should bring this up, because yesterday I was sat on my sofa, when I suddenly felt inspired to write poetry relating to my condition. I must say I was suprised, at how easily the words were flowing through my head, so I decided to write them down. I have currently wrote two verses, and I am now waitng for my next outburst of inspiration, so that I can finish the poem. Why don't you post some of your poetry to the board, I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to hear your poems. I believe some of the best poetry written has not come from the mind of a poet, but from the inner self, the spirit of a poet. These feelings of inspiration when poetry flows flow your mind, is I believe what you would call being in touch with your inner self, might sound like mumbo jumbo to a lot of people, but when you get really down you sometime shut off completely, allowing your unconscious mind to come too the for.
  4. teddie

teddie New Member

share if you can your poems I like to read them.
    teddie
  5. Skelly

Skelly New Member

Many thanks to those of you who so encouragingly responded to my message about poetry. I am so glad some of you are writing too. Perhaps you'd like to share yours too. A couple of you wished to see some of mine, so I am pasting the very first one I wrote, plus one that is a bit darker in mood. I hope they will at the very least empathise with some of your feelings at times.

OUTSIDE AT LAST

Outside,
    At last,
    Though my body inert
    Disabled in a chair,
    The wind weaves melodies
    Randomly through my hair.

Odours, pungent
    Explode in my nose,
    And despite the autumn
    I gaze at rose after rose.

Fields of hay,
    Fields of cows,
    Embrace my vision,
    Dazzle my view,
    And the world suddenly
    Is born again new.

Chestnuts, acorns,
    Lavender, rosemary -
    I clutch and smell and
    Feel joy to carry
    Such precious gifts
    I have so long missed,
    Three years dissolve
    And the future I kiss.

I LIE HERE DYING

I lie here dying in a crypt,
    Each day like a fatal nail hitting
    This tomb, this bed, this room,
    To steel me to earth’s mortal floor.

Our days are numbered we all know,
    Yet in this paralysed state
    Each second, minute, hour, date,
    Amplify my personal hell,
    Like an unnatural tolling knell.

M.E., like death, steals our fleeting time
    Faster it seems than we know to be real,
    Yet feeling slower than it takes this rhyme
    To be born painfully from my wilting mind.

copyright Pamela Bakker, 2002

6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

We do have a Writers Forum here as well as the Chit Chat Forum. For a while, the Writers Forum was very active, but I don't know whether it still is. This would be an excellent way for you to share you poetry or any other writing.

We do try to keep this board for medical topics and that is why our sponsors created these other areas. Just click on Message Boards in the strip at the top of the page where we log in.

Love, Mikie
  7. Cindi

Cindi New Member

I've been writing poetry since I was 15, and I'm now 43. You do the math...It has always been a terrific outlet, but recently as my health situation has changed, I often find it harder to focus at times. When I'm bedbound, I, too, find itimpossible to lift a pen. I know that this "gift" will never go away, so I'll look forward to feeling well enough to start writing again soon!
    BTW, both of your poems were great! Keep writing as you feel inspired to. Maybe I'll see you in the Writer's Forum, soon!!

Take care,
    Cindi
  8. Cindi

Cindi New Member

I meant to put in the little smily guy clapping...not the one showing his behind!!! Sorry, I don't know how to get rid of him...

Cindi
  9. Skelly

Skelly New Member

Hi Cindi!
    I'm ever so glad you put the 'wrong' icon in as it gave me a good laugh this morning! Many thanks for your encouragement and kind words. As you will have seen, the moderator has suggested I post poems in the Writers' Forum, so I transferred them there yesterday.

I'm sorry to hear about your deterioration in health. I know only too well the frustration and agony of not being able to write (read, walk, watch TV, you name it), but never give up hope. Perhaps even if just one line comes into your head write it down and save it for a better day.

Hang in there and thanks again,
    Skelly