POH/Getting ANOTHER shot in my eyeball!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by neen85, Aug 9, 2005.

1. neen85

neen85 New Member

Last year I was diagnosed with PRESUMED OCULAR HISTOPLASMOSIS. At first,I thought I had a scratch on my glasses lens and thought the blur was from it. I am on medicare and am only covered for glasses every 3 yrs.

I was driving and decided to cover my right eye and my left eye had a blind spot in the center. I thought I had macular degeneration like my Grandfather had. Dr. sent me to optometrist,then to opthamologist. I was legally blind in that eye.

They did a laser treatment,like for Mac. degen..,whee they press a "contact lens" (a.k.a. end of a shot glass) up against your eye and shoot a high powered laser through it.

The IV meds they use for this proceedure are so strong that you can actually sunburn going to your car.

My eye started to blur again,SO I had a repeat proceedure done Last Friday. The bleed wasn't as bad,so it was done with the small laser that is always available.

The eye and eye lid swells and is light sensitive and you can't be near the windows of your house for 3 days,nor can you be where the sun shines in the window or you will burn.

I have to return next Tuesday to get a steroid shot in the eyeball. Unfortunately,I now know how bad it feels....actually it will be 2 injections. The after-effects are feeling like a large grain of sand is stuck in your eye for about 9 hours.

POH comes from having a genetic marker and exposure to bird or chicken/poultry droppings...and,I guess my weakened system allowing the reaction to take place. I can never be rid of it,so it can pop back up at any time,in one or bot eyes. I can be totally blind due to it. It often gets in the lungs,as that is how it is taken in,and from what I understand,can be fatal.

I still don't understand how it bypassed my lungs without creating havoc,with all of my health problems due to having undiagnosed lyme 17+ yrs.

If you notice a blur or a black spot that stays in one place please have it checked. Daneen
  2. matthewson

matthewson New Member

A shot in the eyeball sounds painful! I had never heard of this and just looked up info. online. I guess they call it presumed ocular histoplasmosis because they have not been able to culture out the histoplasma from the eye, they think because the inflammation kills it off.

Thanks for informing us about this. I know about histoplasma capsulatum because I worked in microbiology for awhile in the lab, but had never heard that it can cause this type of problem in the eye. Also, bat droppings can harbor histoplasma.

I always wondered why we did skin testing (like a T.B. test) for this where I did my internship in Indiana, and yet in Mich, skin tests were not done. From what I read today, it is endemic in the Ohio River Valley and Mississippi river valley and Indiana is listed as one of the states, but not Michigan.

Thanks Daneen, I learned something new today. I hope all goes well for you and your treatment.

Take care, Sally
  3. neen85

neen85 New Member

There was a student in with the doc Friday and he asked about the presumed part too. I told him a questioned it also,and wondered how a diagnosis could be presumed. My doctor is great and gave the student a wonderful explanation.

Thanks for the added info Sally. In short my doctor calls it arthritis of the eye. From the inside looking out the bad bleed looked like macular degeneration (a black spot),my recent bleed looked like you had a fuzzy stuck in your eye. I am not looking forward to the shot.....hate it that you can REALLY see it coming!! If I wasn't on lunesta a Margarita might be in order! Daneen
  4. neen85

neen85 New Member

I had good vision n my right eye,and didn't know I had a big black spot in the central vision of my left eye until I covered the right eye.

It looked like a blur,so I blamed the scratch on my glasses. Now I have a grid caled an Amsler gird on my refridgerator that I use to check my vision. That is why I caught this bleed early.

IF I had not covered my right eye while driving I would have lost myvision in my left eye totally. The doctor rushed me right back in to do the treatment as he said I was in danger. Daneen
  5. BLUEROSE7

BLUEROSE7 New Member

I am so sorry you are having to go through this.

This is very close to my heart...My dad has lost all vision in one of his eyes already and they are now doing there best to keep him from going blind in the other eye.

He to has had tons of lazer surgery.

He also had a shot put in his eye and I know that it had steriods in the shot...which in turn made his eye worse and even caused Glaucoma ontop of the problems he was already having.

They are going to be doing a procedure at the end of the month were they will open up the pores in his eye and drain all the fluids. From what the new speacilist is saying all they can do now is try to keep him from going totally blind soon. He has diabetic rentiopath(sp) and now Glaucoma.

My heart goes out to you and I pray all will go well for you.

If you have this shot again, Please have them keep a check on the pressure in your eye!!

Hugs & Prayer
    Bluerose

P.S. As you said..I hope others will read this and anytime you have any problems with your eye...Please get it checked right away!!
  6. BLUEROSE7

BLUEROSE7 New Member

7. tansy

tansy New Member

I am sorry you have had to go through all of this again.

loe, Tansy
  8. neen85

neen85 New Member

Bluerose-My eyedoc is the best doctor I have had in the 17+ years I have been ill. He is on top of everything and checks my pressure everytime I go in. He even checked the other eye as I was worried that the topomax that I took for migraines had caused the problem in my (L) eye.

He said it was low and OK to continue the topomax for migraines. I am sorry your father had to go through this and still is. I visit with alot of the older people in the office,as they all want to know why a young person is in there...I look a bit younger than I am. My Grandfather was almost totally blind with macular degeneration. Thanks for the prayers!

Stormey-thanks for the link! I hope it will help somebody. The eye doc gives out this cool and convenient "Amsler grid" that is a refridgerator magnet....that is what enabled me to catch this bleed early. thanks for being on top of things! Your are so full of great info! (be sure to read my CFS shocker post for the live blood info and the other lilve blood post....forgot to add that I included the main portion of info from the actual test on "Shocker") If you haven't already,that is...my mind is lost today!!

Tansy! Thank you SO much! I am so glad I caught this one early and they were able to treat it with the smaller laser that is available all of the time in the office. Teased my doctor and said "You didn't think I was lookin' at my grid,did ya?" Check out the 2 other posts,I added all of the info possible of everything seen in my blood,as well as all possible causes listed (NO...I wasn't out partying it up!) Love, Daneen
  9. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

Shots in your eyes are just about as much fun as one would think.

I have glaucoma in both eyes, it didn't respond to anything, and I had to have a trabeculectomy surgery for it, and it failed, but before the doctor admitted it, he needled it, and it was as bad as it sounds, and injected steroids and even injected a chemotherapy drug into the eye and it hurt so badly that I cried for ten minutes.

His nurse told me I had done great, that they had people who cried for an hour.

As a medical professional, I shouldn't be shocked by anything, but I can still be thoroughly shocked.
  10. neen85

neen85 New Member

What do they do now for you? How awful! They say the first injection is to deaden it,but you can feel it going in! I really don't think it deadens anything,you feel the 2nd needle!

My pressures were 13 and 15 and he said it was ok,but I forgot to ask what was considered a "high" pressure. I think "Moderator Mikie" on here said she also deals with Glaucoma.

I hope you see this and write back and tell me what wlse they do for you. I am so sorry for what you have had to go through. I know how awful it must have been. Daneen