Pointer for HCV info

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by elpapa, Jun 17, 2008.

1. elpapa

elpapa New Member

Hello all,
    Bit off topic for this site, but as a member for some years I know there is a wealth of info amongst you all.
    My partner has just been diagnosed with HCV. Last year she was diagnosed with ricketsia/Lyme although I don't see any evidence of a specific test for lyme. This all came about after she was bitten badly on the scalp by ticks and became very ill.
    My question is, can HCV be transmitted by ticks, it seems highly likely to me but after a good old Google I can find no info on this subject.
    Any help would be very much appreciated.
  2. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

What is HCV?

There is a ton of info on Lyme on this and other boards. There is only one "real" test from what I understand and sometimes it can come back false postive or negative.

3. elpapa

elpapa New Member

many thanks for your reply,
    HCV Hepatitis C virus.
    I know that Western Blot is the most widely known test for lyme, I did not see this on her results, which of course beggers the question, was this just an off the cuff dx????
    Wouldn't be unlikely, I,ve had CFS/Fibro for years and had all the off the cuff dx.
    What I'm trying to find out is whether you can get HCV from a tick bite. As ticks are carriers of all sorts of nasties, depending on what they've been munching, it seems highly probable they could carry HCV too.
    Problem is, I am having trouble finding info on this.
    Many thanks
  4. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

Based on this article

I don't think so but I believe the possiblity is there, albeit remote.

I think that some Lyme diagnosis can be made by clinical symtpoms - I think that is very reasonable.

5. elpapa

elpapa New Member

Thanks for that address, interesting reading.
    I think you are right on both your points.
    Thank you for your time and help it is very much appreciated.

6. charming

charming New Member

Let see lyme disease not caught early can probably spread bacteria to the liver which can make hcv any blood infection to me can infect the liver either hbv or hcv or just plain hepatitis.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/21/2008]
    [This Message was Edited on 06/21/2008]