POLL: Abuse or Neglect anyone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by susabar, Dec 12, 2002.

1. susabar

susabar New Member

Dear Friends,
    I have read several accounts now that people who come down with FM have had histories of abuse of some kind, or childhood neglect. I am wondering if there is any truth to that... OR if it is just co-incidental. I spoke to another person with FM ( my first contact with another sufferer ) and she also alluded to some "burden" from the past.
    Thanks
    Sue
  2. susabar

susabar New Member

Dear Friends,
    I have read several accounts now that people who come down with FM have had histories of abuse of some kind, or childhood neglect. I am wondering if there is any truth to that... OR if it is just co-incidental. I spoke to another person with FM ( my first contact with another sufferer ) and she also alluded to some "burden" from the past.
    Thanks
    Sue
  3. HOUSEOFBLUES

HOUSEOFBLUES New Member

Hmmm......
    When I look back on my childhood now, the only thing I can recall that really bothered me a lot was not having a father around. I was raised by my mother and maternal grandparents.
    Also, being antagonised by other kids for being the "fat little girl" (which led to me being extremely shy.)
    As far as physical abuse from anyone, no.
    Interesting question tho....
    Was there anything in your childhood?

LOVE,
    HOB

4. LauraLea

LauraLea New Member

I don't know if or how it would be related, but yes my father was mentally, Physically, and sexually abusive to us a children.

I did not recall most of this until I was in my thirties, I am forty now.

I'm not convinced that it relates. My father may have had FM but never DX'd before he died in 1980. He was always in pain.
  5. 1Writer

1Writer New Member

so I guess that could be part of my CFS problem, but I don't know for sure. I've had some of my symptoms for years that go back even before I was married to that "S-B".
    But, I was pretty badly beaten and on a regular basis for 4 1/2 years, but that was back in 1976. My symptoms got really bad, though, when my current husband of 25 years (I love him so and he's very supportive) lost his job of 25 years and had to start a whole new career, plus there were other major family events that have taken place in my life over the last 5 years that definetly have contributed ...I guess that could do it to anyone, right? I definetly believe that Stress is a factor in a lot of our cases. Some of us have had physical trauma and others mental and some have had both and some have had other things, but the mental and physical traumas seem to be more common. It also seems to be common in both CFS AND FM. What do you think?

1Writer
    [This Message was Edited on 12/12/2002]
  6. witsend

witsend New Member

I have been exposed to both but in my marriage. Some very infrequent episodes of physical abuse many years ago but chronic problems of emotional neglect always. My husband is cold and detached and very unsupportive, he would prefer to be at work and when he is home very irratable and wants to be left alone. I dont know if the stress of his personality caused this dd but living with him certainly makes it worse.
  7. kadywill

kadywill New Member

yes, yes, yes.
  8. phenom

phenom New Member

i had 20 years of emotional abuse from my father who has extreme mental problems and an alcoholic mother (double whammy!) i now have PTSD and FM... whether its related or not i can't say for sure, but i'd be inclined to think the trauma i went through was enough to screw up my body! hope that answers your question.

phenom
  9. epicurean

epicurean New Member

had a happy childhood,and never suffered any truma of any kind.I wounder,when you poll a certain amount of people what is the usual% that say yes?