Poll:-) Cold water is bad for fibromyalgia...?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by misch, Mar 3, 2004.

1. misch

misch New Member

Hi Everyone,

Hope you are having a good day.

I had a bad flare brought on about a month ago due to various factors.

The interesting thing that I learnt while in it is that spending time in cold water is not good for my muscles.

In brief, the whether has been extremely hot here (hottest on record) so I had been going to the local pool at lunch time and enjoying a dip every day. Nothing strenuous mostly just cooling downing and hoping for a bit of a tan at the same time.

What I noticed even on the first day was that my leg muscles were a little tight afterwards. I persisted because I actually love the feeling of cooling down in cool water on a hot day and didn't really want to give it up.

Things got worse to the point where my spoas was majorly tight and spasming and seemed to be getting worse. This was making my flare one of my worst ever since I have been doing so well.

Has anyone else found similar reactions, or does everyone else already know that this happens and I'm just behind the 8 ball.

God bless,

Misch

[This Message was Edited on 03/04/2004]
  2. SueQ

SueQ New Member

Hey Misch,

No, it's not just you. I react the same way in cold water only mine's immeadiate and painful. I haven't been in our own pool for 3 years because we don't have a heater on the water line. I can't get down the 12 steps to get there anyway. So I just stand on the deck and enjoy looking at the water and remember happier times like teaching all 4 ao my grandchildren how to swim. I even have to be careful to keep the shower hot enough or my legs will go into spasms.

Here's to happy splashing , but only in warm, very warm water.

Hugs, Susan
  3. grannyanne

grannyanne New Member

Hi misch, yes cold definetly makes me hurt. I can't stand the heat and humidity in the summer and the cold and damp in the winter. I just feel like I spasm up and it hurts so bad.I also haveseveral other Auto immune diseases anf itsure is no fun.annie
  4. misch

misch New Member

I was already on the downward when I started going for a dip. Although I do seem to be able to tune into myself better these days.

I'm going to stay out of the pool until I at least get myself 100% well.

God bless,

Misch
  5. hmacioce

hmacioce New Member

Misch,

Cold water is very bad for me too but sometimes warm/hot water hurts. I can never get into a swimming pool because of the cold water but sometimes anything warm or hot will burn me bad. It feels like I have a bad sun burn and when warm or hot waters hits my back it stings and burns. This only happens during a flare up though, the cold water problem is all the time. I don't get any relief from any type of cold treatment.

Good luck,

Harriett
  6. misch

misch New Member

Hot water makes me feel fatigued afterwards sometimes.

Are there any others that can confirm that being in cold water can bring on a bad response from your body?

God bless,

Misch

7. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

I can't handle cold in any way shape or form. I have an electric blanket on my bed (as well as a down featherbed topper and down comforter) and I keep an electric blanket on the couch for when I'm watching TV. It's funny though all my life everyone made fun of me being cold and I would tell them it hurt when I was cold. I didn't know what hurt, it seemed like everything. I can't even drink cold water, I prefer to have it more room temperature. I was outside the other day for quite a while and it was nice (about 45 degrees), but I got chilled to the bone and the next day my muscles in my legs were killing me. Give me hot any day!
    Hugs,
    Tigger
  8. HAWK4800

HAWK4800 New Member

Both cold and hot bother me--I thought it was related to my Raynauds...but my favorite is warm water..I wish I was swimming in some water right now becaouse it's snowing here in Colorado.

Hawk
  9. dragonfly630

dragonfly630 New Member

I hurt worse when I'm cold...which is all the time. I am careful about swimming unless the water is warm. I don't use ice on any thing any more even to try and stop a migraine the cold kills me.

My shrink does some myofascial work then sprays me with a vapocoolant spray. Even that hurts. I have tried telling her it is to cold but she insist that spray and stretch will help my MPS. She does then use heat packs on the sprayed muscles but I still feel like it does more harm than good.

Dragonfly
  10. fllfibro2003

fllfibro2003 New Member

We have a pool and last year I tryed to get in it one time but when I did all of my muscles started having spasms.

My husband literally had to pick me up out of the water and carry in. I stayed wrapped up in 2 blankets for over an hour before my muscles were back to "normal".

I was still feeling sore 2 days later.

I hate that too because I have always loved getting out and swimming or floating to get a tan, now I can only watch.

11. misch

misch New Member

For some people heat works and for some people ice works for muscle pain and I have found that heat is what works for me.

This is interesting because even though I've always hated the cold in general (thus I moved to the warmest state in Australia) , I've never noticed the significance of cold water specifically having an effect on my muscles.

Nobody has ever mentioned it here either from what I've seen. I've also never read it anywhere for fibro.

I had heaps of doctors and really people in general always see swimming as a great low inmact exersice. Now I'm going to stick to the yogalates.

I'm going to have to find another way of cooling down while getting a sun tan. I love my tan, I really don't want to give that up

God bless,

Misch
    [This Message was Edited on 03/06/2004]
  12. driftwood04

driftwood04 New Member

I have the same problem with anything cold. I also stay wraped up in an electric blacket all winter & spring, until the weather warms up. I don't drink cold drinks or eat cold food. It all hurts me & gives me more pain. Sorry you have it too, but good to know I'm not alone.
    Judy
  13. misch

misch New Member

For me the cold thing is less obvious. I know where you are coming from althought it is not quite to the same extreme.

God bless,

Misch
  14. RENA0909

RENA0909 New Member

Hi
    I also cannot cope with the cold water.I am always red hot anyway and cant stand the heat but if the wind blows on me in freezing so the cold water does nothing for me.
    There is no way I could ever put a cold compress on my body cos the pain would kill me !!!
    The cold tap can make me cry!!I think we are all the same.
    Best wishes RENA UK
  15. momo21

momo21 New Member

I can't tolerate cold at all. I drink water at room temp only. I am always cold and can never get warm. I hate that feeling.

We have a pool and I won't go in it unless it's 88+ degrees. Needless to say, I'm not in it much. We're contemplating getting rid of it this year. It's brand new. Thinking of a hot tub instead. I'm going to see my rheumy this week and will ask his opinion.

We hit a "heatwave" here in MA. It was about 50 degrees and my work decided to put the air conditioner on. I thought I'd die!! I'm sure all of you run pretty low body temps... mine is only 96!

Off to cuddle under a warm blanket... stay warm!
  16. misch

misch New Member

I think that it is fair to say that swimming in cold water gives our muscles a bad reaction.

This is pretty handy to know if one is trying to maintain a reasonable quality of life.

No more swimming in cold water for me, one more thing that I will have to give up.

Oh well....

God Bless,

Misch
  17. misch

misch New Member

18. Xausted01

Xausted01 New Member

I can't handle cold anything. If I put my hands in cold water they immediately turn red and hurt very badly. I have to have my water that I drink at room temperature, and even ice cream is starting to bother me.... so I eat very quickly! lol
  19. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

Nope, no good.

The pool I use at the gym is supposed to be kept around 85-87. But many days it is cooler than that. And if they have added water -- of course it is cooler.

If I do get in cold water pools my muscles freeze as hard as cement and a good workout is almost impossible.

Find a warm pool. Your local Arthritis Foundation may have information. Fondly June

20. misch

misch New Member

Thank God for this board. You know I have discussed this topic with physio's and chiro's. I said to them "Do you think that swimming in cold water can tighten your muscles?" and they are like "Maybe a little".

Having fibro is so different to everyone else it always confuses the issue.

You know what I find hard is explaining to physical therapist the full story everytime.

I am more committed to making sure that I explain myself properly these days, but the part I hate is convincing them that they have to treat me different to everyone else because my muscles aren't the same as everyone elses.

You know what I hate the most is when they say "It is because you are keeping a bad posture."

I don't know how many times I've had to convince a health care professional that it is not because of my posture. If I could have a good posture at the moment I would, my muscles are preventing me from straightening up.

Anyhow there you have it, like I was saying, thank God for this forum. Now I know that unlike all those normals out there I am now aware that I am not allowed to swim in cold water.

I made myself sick for more than two months because of that cold water. I am only just coming good now and that is from trigger point therapy with a tennis ball vertually 24/7.

God bless,

Misch