Poll: Does anyone smoke? OR think it could have contributed to it

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by moewee, Oct 15, 2002.

1. moewee

moewee New Member

Does anyone smoke or smoked in the past and believe it could have contributed to your CFS?

How long did you smoke?
    Do you still smoke?
    Cfs or Fibro?

Thank you to all - I am trying to do research about this topic!

2. moewee

moewee New Member

Does anyone smoke or smoked in the past and believe it could have contributed to your CFS?

How long did you smoke?
    Do you still smoke?
    Cfs or Fibro?

Thank you to all - I am trying to do research about this topic!

3. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

I am one of those nasty, evil people who still chooses to smoke. I have chronis hay fever and was hospitalized several times with asthma as a child. I started smoking at about 15, and had no more asthma attacks until I quit about 20 years later. during the 10 years I was not smoking, I had at least one asthma attack annually. During the last ten years, since I began again, I have had one attack which was caused by an injected drug prior to surgery. I attribute the onset of my fibro to a series of traffic accidents and the resulting whiplash.
    Kathryn
  4. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

Yes, I smoke. I do believe it is one of many, many factors that led to my body not being as well as it should be. I think many habits, and events, emotional and physical...all heaped one upon the other...were the straw that broke the proverbial camel's back---enabling FM/CFS to develope. I have smoked for over 30 years. I will be quitting very shortly. The cost financially, and most of all physically is just to high.
    Good Luck with your research.
    Karen
  5. moewee

moewee New Member

This is just for information.
    No judgement for yourself.
    I smoke cigars.
    I hope that you will not be hard on yourself Kathryn, we are not here (any of us) to judge or lay guilt on anyone.
    Kathryn, or Karen 2002 does anyone in your immediate family or friends think this could be the sole reason?
    And to Karen 2002 Good luck on quitting when YOU decide to.
    I too can bet that it has added to the camels back for myself.
    Thank you for your sharing and hope others will post there experiences too. Need research for this, - thanks you guys.
  6. marinemom

marinemom New Member

I, too, am a smoker. I started when I was 19 and have found that quitting is NO problem. It's the starting back that's a killer! =)

I have discussed this with my PCP and as usual, he of course wants me to quit. I, however, have come to the realization that there aren't enough Valium in this WHOLE town to combat the effects of quitting and also realize that in the interest of the saftey of my son, smoking is the least of my worries.

I'm sure it doesn't help my situation. Was Dx'd with Fibro a few months back. In my case, the only thing I can find that has been the contributing factor is major stress. I have read where stress (major or minor) can bring on this DD. Since I tend to hold everything in, well, who knows?

Anyway, just wanted to answer this poll.

Hugs to all
    Kathy
  7. Milo83

Milo83 New Member

Started smoking when I was around 19..I had quit a couple of times and when I was pregnant, but always went back to it..I also suffer from severe anxiety/depression/panic disorder since 1986..I have tried to quit since then, but I really feel horrible..So now, I don't smoke in my house, and I try to cut back..I personally do not think this played a role in my FM..
    Still smoking here......Hopefully one day, when I can really put my mind to it, I will be able to quit..
    Take Care.........Donna
  8. Rich

Rich New Member

I am on here to try and get info for my wife who has Fibro in the upper back. She also has cutaneous Lupus, the kind which does not scar. We are both going to be 61 the end of this month. We both smoked for years. Noel has smoked since she was about 19 years old, so let's say 42 years for her habit. I finally saw the light and have been successfully off them since January 30th of this year. Noel was in the hospital from 9/23 until 10/9 with respiratory problems (severe pneumonia) and with too many pain killers for too long. She was pretty bad and of course did not get to smoke the whole time and did not feel like it either. When she came home we both agreed to get all her cigs out of the house and she has not had one since before the hospital admission. I feel very strongly that cigs and physical/mental stress were the contributing factors here but of course cannot prove it.

Rich
  9. poodlegirl

poodlegirl New Member

I quit smoking 2 years ago and have been feeling the worst I have ever felt in my life. Everything has gone wrong, healthwise. I think me quitting triggered all this. While trying to quit, I started having panic attacks, depression physical pains, etc. I truly believe that quitting for me was the "emotional trauma" that triggered the CFS. I would love to light up again!
  10. poodlegirl

poodlegirl New Member

Does anyone smoke or smoked in the past and believe it could have contributed to your CFS? QUITTING I THINK TRIGGERED IT FOR ME

How long did you smoke? I SMOKED FOR 10 YEARS (18 Y/O TO 28 YEARS OLD)
    Do you still smoke? NO, I CRAVE IT STILL EVEN AFTER 2 YEARS BEING QUIT. EVEN DREAM AT NITE ABOUT SMOKING, BUT I CAN'T STAND TO SMELL CIG SMOKE ON PEOPLE OR IN THE AIR, WEIRD
    Cfs or Fibro? FM, WAITING FOR A DX ON SUSPECTED CFS
  11. lease79

lease79 New Member

I don't smoke. Tried it for a little while when I was a teen, but never really 'took' to it.
    I've been sick since I was 11, so no I don't think that it contributed to my illness at all.
    The coupled of months that I 'played' with it I noticed that my asthma increased 10 fold, so I stopped.

Lease
  12. cpalance

cpalance New Member

I have smoked for 36 years and no I don't believe it has anything to do with Fibro. My sister also has FMS and she has never smoked. I know it is a nasty habit, but I happen to enjoy it and don't intend to quit in the near future. Now of course my mother-in-law believes that smoking has caused all my problems:eek:steroarthritis,fibro,depression, and allergies. And maybe she is right, but I don't think so. My fibro I think has been caused by stress and severe osteoarthritis.

Cindy
  13. sickandtired

sickandtired New Member

I smoke. I've smoked for about 17 years. I have FM. My mother and my grandmother smoked only for a very short while when they were much younger and they both have FM also. I think my mother smoked very lightly for about a year or two when she was in her early 20s. I never thought my grandmother smoked until recently. And she was a very light smoker for a few years also. Hope this helps.
  14. Kim

Kim New Member

I'm 47 and have never smoked. Both my parents smoked, my grandparents smoked and I lived with 4 people who smoked 2-3 packs a day in a closed up house in upstate NY until I could escape at age 18. I think secondhand smoke contributed to my development of CFS.

As an added note, I got sore throats and bronchitis 3 or 4 times a year until age 18. I've only had 4 colds in the last 15 years and no bronchitis.

I'm pretty passionate about smoking since I watched my dad die of COPD and my mom die of cancer. I was their primary caregiver and it broke my heart to see what smoking did to both of them.

I thing there are many environmental factors that contribute, activate, aggravate to our illness and smoking is just one of them. I have multiple chemical sensitivities and would rather face a room full of smokers than a room full of new carpeting!

15. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

I would like to quit but I find it helps calm my nerves down. I'm gonna try and quit but I have to have the patches. I mention to my doc about being short of breath and she says" its because you smoke..you need to quit". Honestly I think that is not the main reason why I'm short of breath. Didnt have shortness of breath til I came down with FM.
    Carlacat
  16. alomasp

alomasp New Member

Yes,I smoke,started smoking at 18, Quit smoking for 6 years,(had more energy-but didn't have fibro.then) Recently started back in March of this year.(Came home from work one day,found my 19 yr.son had tried sucide-almost suceeded) Started back smoking then,stress-I guess.
    Any after his hospital stay,went back to work, then everything got weird. Headaches,depression, just kept going down hill health wise. Finally in Aug.(at my phych.dr recommended) went to a rheumy, was dx. with fibro & O.A.
    Really don't know if smoking contributed(Sure it doesn't help)Because it all seemed to have happened at one time. I am sure the shock of finding my son helped trigger the fibro.
    I really need to quit, but right now life is really stressful, want to wait 'til I get things settled down some.
    Aloma
  17. allhart

allhart New Member

i smoke,dont think it has anything to do with them fm but it think it increse my sinus infection,tried zyban to quite it just made me loose weight
  18. Carina

Carina New Member

I have FMS and have smoked for 31 yrs. I have bi-polar disorder also and I agree there is not enough meds to make life worth living after stopping smoking. I have really tried , when I wanted to, to stop and tried everything to do so. No more quitting for me. The stress that results makes my FMS much worse.
    I was a colicky baby, had an unexplained fever and muscle aches when I was in grade school in the 60"s. I also always had lots of severe growing pains and migraines growing up all that was before I ever smoked.[This Message was Edited on 10/16/2002]
  19. Suz15

Suz15 New Member

Morning All

I smoked for 34 years, 2-2 1/2 packs a day. I quit 18 monthes ago. Do I think breathing chemicals into my lungs for 34 years might, just might have triggered fms ? Or possibly have made it worse? You bet. Do I feel better since I quit ? Not for the first year, but, the last 6 monthes things are slowly getting better and better. No more ""sinus"" infections. No more ""colds"" My lips arent blue anymore, they are pink. My hands, feet and skin dont have that grayish tinge, I actually have color to my skin. Its incredible. Quitting smoking was the hardest thing I ever did in my life.

Hugs
    Suz
  20. Carolonly

Carolonly New Member

I am 36 years old I have smoked since I was 9 yrs. old. I on the other hand do not think my smoking had anything to do with the diseases I have especially my FM. I think that was due to the car accident where another vehicle hit me from behind and caused me to have whiplash. I also am not about to quit smoking just because some doctor tells me too. I have listened to alot of the commercials on tv and I will not give up my stress reliever for anyone. I know that sounds harsh but I smoke to relieve my stress and sometimes to forget I have this horrible pain and for me it seems to be working. Sorry this is so long just giving my honest opinion.